18 May 2024, 21:24:07 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: KingTiger Ardennes diorama build-up  (Read 28987 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 14 November 2008, 20:40:38 »
ReplyReply

I would like to start modelling a Panther or KingTiger tank, preferrably in late '44 camo, style 'Wacht am Rhein'.

Looking for some helpful info:

which scale to use?
which scale to use when I want to extend to dioramas?
what brand?

and more tips?

thx

K
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2008, 12:09:36 »
ReplyReply

Well,

I would go for 1/35th scale.
Lots of extras and lots of things you can make yourself.
Tamiyas models are excellent( you saw mine Smiley )
But for a lower budget Dragon has good models either.

Check the books from Francois Verlinden for more tips and techniques.
Every good modelshop has them.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 February 2009, 01:13:54 »
ReplyReply

it's very hard around here to find good modelshops, I found 2, both into R/C models and that's not what I want...

saw a huge box with a remote Pz V G....damn...almost 600€'s  Geschokt

I would like to start with the KingTiger...not TOO big, too expensive...

Dragon seems to apply 1/72

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW: check this out: http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemodel/AFVs/16kingtiger/photo_gallery.htm

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 8 February 2009, 05:23:41 »
ReplyReply

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW: check this out: http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemodel/AFVs/16kingtiger/photo_gallery.htm

Well, this is 1:16(hence the ability to detail), and the makers are Japanese (hard to beat)  Grijns

I dont know about this kind of models, but for air and naval at that scale I would always go and really model, i.e. take the blueprints and think something up, no boxed stuff.

As I started (a/c) modeling some 40+ yrs ago for me wood (balsa) is the material of choice (and that wont changed simply because I now have a lot of experience in that field), but I am sure there are alternatives out today that might faciliate things.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 8 February 2009, 09:46:35 »
ReplyReply

Lol, I have the Tiger 1 from Tamiya on 1/16.
Cost when I got it(present for my 30th birthday) 80 euros and thats 18 years ago.....
I wander what it is now Smiley
Must be double.
But again I say stick to 1/35, its the best scale for modelling tanks.
Tamiyas range of products, together with Verlindens sets cant be beat!

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 8 February 2009, 13:06:56 »
ReplyReply

Well, this is 1:16(hence the ability to detail), and the makers are Japanese (hard to beat)  Grijns

I dont know about this kind of models, but for air and naval at that scale I would always go and really model, i.e. take the blueprints and think something up, no boxed stuff.

As I started (a/c) modeling some 40+ yrs ago for me wood (balsa) is the material of choice (and that wont changed simply because I now have a lot of experience in that field), but I am sure there are alternatives out today that might faciliate things.

Rattler

I'm not going into it so deep....just want to have some fun...

First some easy modelling, I'll see how it goes...

the models can't be too big, haven't got alot of free space in my house
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 8 February 2009, 13:09:08 »
ReplyReply

Lol, I have the Tiger 1 from Tamiya on 1/16.
Cost when I got it(present for my 30th birthday) 80 euros and thats 18 years ago.....
I wander what it is now Smiley
Must be double.
But again I say stick to 1/35, its the best scale for modelling tanks.
Tamiyas range of products, together with Verlindens sets cant be beat!

I do want to put the model on a small plate with some trees, stones etc without again...trying to go into overkill
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 8 February 2009, 14:45:44 »
ReplyReply

Have a look at tamiyas on line cataloque.
You know which tanks arent that big Smiley

The german early war MKIII or the French 1 Bis tank are very nice models.
btw You saw the models I have Smiley
There are many techniques you can use to create stuff yourself.
Bandage for wounds is great material to create camouflage netting.
Aluminium foliage is very usefull to create tents and stuff.
With clay you can create walls,stones or bricktiles.

Mad Russian

« Reply #8 on: 8 February 2009, 15:19:10 »
ReplyReply

A 1/35 scale King Tiger should be about a foot long and about 6 inches high. Not all that big but large enough to be able to put in plenty of detail and be able to see and enjoy it.

Also, there is a huge amount of support for that scale. For one of your first efforts I would start with Dragon's models. They aren't as expensive as Tamiya's and they are of comparable quality. They have loads of figures and accessories as well. But of course you can use any companies accessories when doing your diorama.

Good luck with that.

Good Hunting.

MR
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 8 February 2009, 15:37:45 »
ReplyReply

As soon as we have bought a new camera..... I will make pictures of my models.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 8 February 2009, 18:11:38 »
ReplyReply

A 1/35 scale King Tiger should be about a foot long and about 6 inches high. Not all that big but large enough to be able to put in plenty of detail and be able to see and enjoy it.

Also, there is a huge amount of support for that scale. For one of your first efforts I would start with Dragon's models. They aren't as expensive as Tamiya's and they are of comparable quality. They have loads of figures and accessories as well. But of course you can use any companies accessories when doing your diorama.

Good luck with that.

Good Hunting.

MR

ok, I'll stick to 1/35 then....I would like to build an 'Ardennes' diorama...
Mad Russian

« Reply #11 on: 8 February 2009, 18:52:47 »
ReplyReply

Dioramas can get as detailed as you want and can evolve to where the rest of the diorama is more detailed than the model.

There are lots of premade buildings and rubble, signs, cobblestones...etc. to use. Or you can make them yourself from scratch. Then there are the detailing accessories such as gas/water cans (water cans have a white cross hand painted on them), people, animals, tools, shells, etc...

The two choices are between what you want to pay and how much work you want to do.

The rest is available at any level of complexity you want.

Good Hunting.

MR
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 9 February 2009, 03:01:12 »
ReplyReply

Koen,
  Stoffel and Mad Russian are right on for scale.  You definitely want to run the 1/35th scale.  There is so much available, and you can detail to your hearts content.  There are so many common, everyday things you can use for details in 1/35th.  If you go to some of the online diorama sites, like www.armorama.com, or Wiking's Panzermodellbau at www.panzermodellbau.com, you can get some really great ideas of how to set things up and arrange them for maximum display interest.  I go there from time to time to get fired up again about the hobby.

If you are limited in space to display things, you can easily put together a King Tiger on a display base, run in some large fir trees covered with a heavy coating of hoar frost, and add in some figures wearing winter anoraks for added interest.  Then you make the road/trail/field "wet" with a mix of snow, mud, and ice.  Use a foam base, and you can build in ditches along the road for elevation changes. 

Yeah, I get excited just thinking about the planning, let alone the detailing.  I had some pretty nice dioramas before I had to move.  Dismantled them and now have no space.  Ah, but someday.....

Heinrich505
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2009, 00:10:12 »
ReplyReply

Check out this one  Brede lach : 250lbs, gas engine powered, iron cast, I just *love* the sound of the gun (0:27 ff):

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Mad Russian

« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2009, 15:39:06 »
ReplyReply

That looks like a generic camo pattern to me. I can't remember ever seeing a picture of a KT with that pattern on it.

I have several books that cover the KT. Would you want to see what some of the camo patterns of the time look like? Or are you really liking this one?

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2009, 15:43:23 »
ReplyReply

That looks like a generic camo pattern to me. I can't remember ever seeing a picture of a KT with that pattern on it.

I have several books that cover the KT. Would you want to see what some of the camo patterns of the time look like? Or are you really liking this one?

Good Hunting.

MR

I like this one but I would prefer a historical correct Ardennes winter '44 pattern
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2009, 22:43:49 »
ReplyReply

1 platoon grenadiers?
How big do you want the diorama to be ? Smiley
A platoon covers normally 100 square meters, if you want it to fit on a small baseplate than I suggest to stick with a squad.
Tamiyas panzergrenadierset or German soldiers at rest(winter/autumn gear) is great!

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2009, 22:45:44 »
ReplyReply

1 platoon grenadiers?
How big do you want the diorama to be ? Smiley
A platoon covers normally 100 square meters, if you want it to fit on a small baseplate than I suggest to stick with a squad.
Tamiyas panzergrenadierset or German soldiers at rest(winter/autumn gear) is great!

well, at least you know what I mean....

1 KT, 1lieutenant, 5-10 men, bricks, trees, all having a smoke-break  Knipoog
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2009, 15:37:49 »
ReplyReply

These are the units I meant Koen,

Panzergrenadiers, perfect for placement on tanks.

and this one, soldiers at rest, perfect for Ardennes diorama!

henk

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2009, 19:42:55 »
ReplyReply

very nice!  except for the stove  Knipoog

Tamiya Mil 1/35 (link)

KT Ardennes link

these could make a good set, ofcourse covered with snow & mud
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print