18 May 2024, 22:52:07 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: My Tour of Duty, Interview & 'Soundtrack'  (Read 61212 times)
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 18 December 2009, 17:53:39 »
ReplyReply

Isn´t this a bit "Take 5", modernized (for that time frame), IMHO at least the base line is a clear copy?

I think is is very similar, and I like the original as well if it is in fact a copy, SF music scene had a healthy jazz influence from the earlier Beat scene in North Beach...

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 18 December 2009, 20:46:26 »
ReplyReply

Jody, reviweing the thread, the first (and I now see the second, fith, sixth, and seventh too) vid has been deleted "for viloating the terms of use", any chance you can get it from another - not supressed "on demand" (who demanded it?) - source (as I remember the pics but not the gist to find a copy)?

EDIT: Just on the first page, of 15 videos posted, only three can be viewed, the rest is supressed for being either "Sony: Prohibited to be displayed in your country"  or Google/Youtube: "Supressed on demand: Violating terms of use", definitely time to change video storage site...

It is a real pity, actually, these vids - for me at least - represent history, I somehow over time got the feeling there should be something like "Patrimonial protection" applied to such vids as it is now to buildings with "historical value" as a standard!? I am more and more feeling like living in the dark dictator times again! Any ideas on how to organize a motion for that on the net?!: "WE are THE PEOPLE!"

The third, fifth and 7th vid "...contains Sony content which you are not allowed to view in your country...." ?? WHAT? Can you repeat, plz, Mr. Sony? AFAIK my constituition allows me to view anything, care to be a bit more pricise?

I have been left open mouthed, just after reading 10 posts... Where are we going to, which world do we want to live in? Seriously??

First take: Read Koens post on "How to dl Utube vids" and save them on our machines, upload to WaT from there, not as glöeamy but will work...  Jody, I urge you to review the thread and go through the vids before more vanish, let´s deal with the legal issues later (I have got a Panama server we can use).

Rattler

Thanks to Rattler's persuasive nudge, I found the music and video's at UTube quite the memory joggers. Then Koen nudged me to make this thread. It is with much gratitude that I dedicate this first installment to Rattler & Koen, for their excellent ideas.

It was Koen's idea to do an interview as well. So we have combined the two, since it has proven to be far more efficient, as the videos themselves sometimes prompt questions (once again Rattler was ahead of the curve).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWZ-JBbQJIc

video notes:
*At ~2:00 in, you will see a bunch of guys going back to 'The World', aka home, as they climb aboard the Caribou, a herd of  'boots' (FNGs in Doggie lingo) stumble off the plane and mill about until some Sgt starts chewing on their hind quarters...too funny.

*At ~2:30 in, you will see a skinny fellow run out onto the LZ, pop a smoke then jump back in his hole, grab his handset and start talking to the inbound choppers. No, its not me, but it could well have been. That is a FACman performing his primary job... guiding the birds into his LZ.

« Last Edit: 18 December 2009, 22:36:10 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 18 December 2009, 22:25:58 »
ReplyReply

I have started the process of replacing the lost music, but this is gonna take some time. Once again, thanks for the heads up Rattler as I dont go back and look at them very often.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 18 December 2009, 22:50:41 »
ReplyReply

I have started the process of replacing the lost music, but this is gonna take some time. Once again, thanks for the heads up Rattler as I dont go back and look at them very often.

Jody, I haven´t been on the thread for a long time also, but that is then presumably the good side of having girls on the site ?  Gemeen whistle

Here the how-to by Koen: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/wat-board-technical-info/how-to-download-a-youtube-video/

If you have vids stored, let me know, I can (as TA) make sure we can view them on WaT.

Onwards !

(For us Leftist Germans this would be, with Berthold Brecht: "Vorwärts! ...und nicht vergessen, worin unsere Stärke besteht: Die Solidarität!)!", from 1931 (original recording). Traduction: "Onwards, and do never forget what makes us strong! Solidarity!").

Really, let´s give it to youtube, let us try and make them to revisit their standards!

Lyrics: Berthold Brecht (The Three Penny Opera: Mack the Knife), Music: Hanns Eisler ("Hangmen Also Die!", "Schweik in the Second World War")

A rough and bad translation by google, dont have the time to do it myself except the snippet below (3rd verse): http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erinnerungsort.de%2Fsolidaritaetslied--28-22vorwaerts-und-nicht-vergessen-22-29-_193.html&sl=de&tl=en

Our masters, whoever they may be,
they like to see us discording!
Because, as long as they can divide us,
They can remain being our masters...

Onwards, and don´t forget ...

EDIT: Changed Vid, now it is not from 1931... :(But, and that is the reason why I changed it, it includes some pictures of the genious Hanns Eisler, directing on the streets in Berlin this song for a demonstration of a lot of  -300.000- people that did not want Hitler to come - and failed miserably).

Hanns Eisler - Solidaritätslied - HK Gruber

Rattler
« Last Edit: 18 December 2009, 23:23:44 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 19 December 2009, 21:06:36 »
ReplyReply

furthermore...we have our OWN youtube channel  iconclap

so...found some videos on youtube? send me the link, I'll try to download and then upload them to WaT on Youtube  champ

http://www.youtube.com/user/warandtactics
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 19 December 2009, 21:43:02 »
ReplyReply

Yes, I have found many, but they keep getting shut down by You Tube, and they are for my Interview soundtrack so to put them on our channel would seem to defeat the purpose.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 20 December 2009, 09:05:02 »
ReplyReply

Yes, I have found many, but they keep getting shut down by You Tube, and they are for my Interview soundtrack so to put them on our channel would seem to defeat the purpose.

Still, when Koen can dl them we can upload them, doesnt matter then when YouTube shuts them down. thy will disply in your interview thread from *our* WaT folder, at least that is the idea...

Rattler

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 20 December 2009, 13:04:44 »
ReplyReply

Very well, Then Koen needs to grab the ones that are still here, while I find replacements for those stolen from us.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 20 December 2009, 15:34:38 »
ReplyReply

Very well, Then Koen needs to grab the ones that are still here, while I find replacements for those stolen from us.

ok

edit: downloaded 38 videos

some have no artist/title info, can you help with these FACman?

I'll clean up titles and such, re-organize as much as possible our YT channel and finally upload them.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 17 February 2010, 22:45:16 »
ReplyReply

Yes, they even played this one on AFVN radio (Armed Forces Vietnam)

Universal Soldier Donovan Anti War

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 17 February 2010, 23:45:55 »
ReplyReply

Funny at 1:06 they use a photo of Charles Upham the only combat soldier to win the Victoria Cross twice.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 18 February 2010, 20:02:59 »
ReplyReply

Jody,

I still have all videos on my HD and your channel is waiting for me to upload them...
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 9 May 2010, 11:08:30 »
ReplyReply

all the stuff on the floor, is that all backpack?  Geschokt
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 9 May 2010, 16:36:08 »
ReplyReply

Koen sez:
all the stuff on the floor, is that all backpack?

No, my helmet and flak jacket are at the bottom (r) side of the pack, so I carried the whole pile one way or another. You can see a few of the many canteens I carried. At one point I had 8-10 canteens strung across the back.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 9 May 2010, 16:37:27 »
ReplyReply

Koen sez:
all the stuff on the floor, is that all backpack?

No, my helmet and flak jacket are at the bottom (r) side of the pic, so I carried the whole pile one way or another. You can see a few of the many canteens I carried strapped to the back of the pack. At one point I had 8-10 canteens strung across the back.

well, I suspect your back was out of solid concrete  Knipoog
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 9 May 2010, 17:00:44 »
ReplyReply

Yes, my back was made of Iron in those days, I weighed in at 135 lbs., unlike today when I am limited to lifting 20 lbs. and walk with a cane at 250 lbs.

Black Sabbath, 'Ironman'
Black Sabbath Iron Man(Live in Paris 1970)

embedded

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: 10 May 2010, 09:58:15 »
ReplyReply

Nowadays we have the nice waterpacks from Camelback.
Very handy things, they fit under your backpack, and have a little hose, you can suck the water out anytime you need it.
No need to grab for those unhandy canteens, and even more importnat the weight of the water is divided over your entire back.
It also gives you more space to clip other stuff on your flak jacket Smiley

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 10 May 2010, 16:32:50 »
ReplyReply

Yes Henk, the marvels of modern warfare. I used a camelback during my Veterans walk from SF to Great Salt Lake. So convenient.

During my ToD, we would occasionally sit on a hilltop for a few days and run patrols off it. This in turn required us to send off water patrols to resupply the perimeter security elements that didnt get to patrol into the drainages and get their water. These patrols would gather up empty canteens and patrol down into the drainage to fill the them. On one such patrol, I had filled two of my own canteens after filling about 10 I was carrying for the guys still up on the hill, by the time I got back into the perimeter, I had drank 1 1/2 of the canteens I had filled just a short time before. Thats how hot and dehydrated those of us who had gone down to fetch water (a heavy load on the uphill) became that day. It hardly seemed worth it to those who had humped it, but the guys on the hill needed it.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: 11 May 2010, 21:00:43 »
ReplyReply

Yeah I know.
I heard from my friends whom just returned, that they drank 4 to 6 liters of water in the summer in Afghanistan.
You sweat it out faster than you can drink it Smiley
Same in the jungle in Congo.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 11 May 2010, 22:49:08 »
ReplyReply

Yeah I know.
I heard from my friends whom just returned, that they drank 4 to 6 liters of water in the summer in Afghanistan.
You sweat it out faster than you can drink it Smiley
Same in the jungle in Congo.

JFTR: Same here in Mallorca: Working (not hard labour, just normal issues) will need you 4 ltrs daily in summer. I imagine that with gear and BDU it will be more over there.

Kongo, as far as I have heard, might be  different thing, there it is more fatigue because of high humidity tht is an issue, not so much dehydration or salt (Kalium) loss.

Rattler

Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44877298 | Sitemap