18 May 2024, 17:24:35 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Soccer Anyone? (The neverending soccer thread)  (Read 84825 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2009, 19:27:10 »
ReplyReply

So, tonight is the night...:

From Leo Messi to Cristiano Ronaldy, from Edwin van der Saar to Victor Valdés, from Thierry Henry to Ryan Giggs, samuel Etoó to Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick to Xavi Hernandez, from Andres Iniesta to Carlitos Tévez, it is an impressive amount of great soccer players that meet tonight in Rome in confrontation, I expect one of the best matches I have seen in my life time (and probably will see ever).

Hard to tell which team might be better positioned, but from the numbers we can draw some conlcusions:

Barca plays 4-3-3, ManU 4-4-2; some comparisons seem in order.

Victor Valdés - Edwin van der Saar (2): The Spaniard is younger (12 yrs less). 54 matches played in Champions versus 81 of the goalie from Netherlands. Barcas goalie received 0.86 in the league and 0.92 in Champions, the Dutch is better: 0.64 in league and 0.75 in Champions. I am sure ManU will score, Barca will find it more difficult to score one more than they will. Barca 0 - ManU 1

Carles Puyol - John O´Shea (1): While the Barca Captain will play as a flank defense (not his position) because both Dani Alves and Abidal cannot play) and has completed an irregular season, he will be hard to beat: The Irishman, one of the most reuglar players used bxy Fergusson, offers compromise, but not much more. Barca 1 - ManU 1

Yaxa Touré - Rio Ferdinand (2): Touré also plays (for the reasons mentioned) in a position he does not occupy normally and has proved towice that he can. But, he never had to face some strikers way much faster than himself. Rio, despite just coming from an injury, is one of the best defenses in the world. Barca 1 - ManU 2

Gerard Piqué - Nenamja Vidic (X): ManU let the Catalán Pique go because they felt they had enough good defenders, he has responded perfectly in his home club and brought in fresh air. This will compensate for his technical problems (still very young and lacking experience), he is the largest in the team and might score from a standard. The Serb, otoh, is one guy who does not show any deficiencies, effective and solid. Barca 1 - ManU 2

Keita- Evra (2): I dont like what Giuardiola decided here, Keita is a midfielder and only plays defense because of Abidals absence. He himself states that he cannot do that well. The Frrenchman, otoh, is in his position, hard to overcome and has a lot of offensive powers for counters. Barca 1 - ManU 3

Busquets - Carrick (2): Busquest has been one of the relevations of this season, better than his father, but he is lacking experience and it shows under pressure. Carrick (as midfield one of the center pieces in Manchesters offensive play) should theoretically do better simply due to experience. Barca 1 - ManU 4

Xavi- Scholes (1): Both are the symbols in their teamd, the brains (or part of it). Xavi is at his peak, whereas Scholes is declining (just for age reasons, he is 34). Same goes for Giggs, should he play (35). Still Scholes can do anything that seems impossible, and anytime. Barca 2 - ManU 4

Iniesta - Anderson (1): As the other half of Barca´s "brain" he can alway and at any time win agiainst the double defensive line of ManU. Only problem, his injury: He has trained two days with the team an might fall injured again easily (which, from my POV would mean Barca could kiss goodbyue the cup). Anderson is an excellent pressurer, but no match to Iniesta in verticality. Barca 3 - ManU 4

Messi - Ronaldo (1): This is a risky bet I am making here, but they are very different players: Ronaldo is fast w/o the ball (probably the fastest in Europe, 50 mtrs sprints to appear out ot nothing are his typical style), whereas Messi is probably the fastest in the world with the ball glued to his feet. While the match is not (as press says) a duel between the two, if matched I prefer Messi. Barca 4 - ManU 4

Eto´o - Rooney (X): If well, Eto´o should win against Rooneys talent and sacrifice anytime, but he has allowed himself to become obsessioned with the "Pichichi" (which he just lost against Forlan in the league, 30 opportunities and did not score one goal incl two failed penalties) and the Golden Boot, all this makes him nervous and uncertain... If I was the mister, I would not place him in the intitial team... Barca 4 - ManU 4

Henry - Park (1): Henrry´s last chance to carry a big title, he comes from injury as Iniesta (also only two days training with the team after 6 weeks), but he is the natural killer that can score from any positions and stance (left, right, head). The Corean has improved a lot and knows to hide his techinical deficiencies, but is no match in comparison IMHO. Barca 5 - ManU 4

The reserves (2): Barca: Gudjohnson, Hleb, Bojan are good but not in form (except Bojan who will be the ideal suppement both for Eto´o or Henry). Manchester with Berbatov, Nani, Tevez and Giggs (Scholes) offers more opportunities. Barca 5 - ManU 5

So well balanced, I see ManU as the favorite:

- Evra has shown in the semifinals of last year that he can neutralize Messi one whole match.

- Barca has no defense, and Dani Alves is heavily missed.

- ManU is champion (and has eliminated Barca last year in semis)

- Too much for Barca depens on just Iniesta and Henry

I expect Barca to play its usuall style with lots of posession (following the Cruyff doctrne: If you have the ball, the opponent cannot score) and ManU to play counter. With the fast Ronaldo and all the talent accumulated there (and also the majority of supporters) this might well work out and even terminate Barca losing big time. Also, we have been lucky with th referee vs. Chelsea, so Murphy´s Law dictates that this time it will go aginst us (though I sincerly hope this great match will not be decided by a bad referee!).

As always, I am with Barca, but I fear for the worst, looking forward to this match like to none other...

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2009, 20:19:14 »
ReplyReply

YEP: ZE BIG FINAL!

I see ManU as the favorite

same here!  champ
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2009, 22:10:36 »
ReplyReply

65 min: Barca 1-0 Man U....thrilling  smallclap
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2009, 22:14:11 »
ReplyReply

67 min: Barca 2-0 Man U

Over and Out?
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 27 May 2009, 23:02:04 »
ReplyReply

champ  Brede lach  woohoo  dance  drama  hicks

What a game! Barca made history (first one ever in Spain to get the triple), and I am glad that I won´t have to repeat my entry from last year: http://ohlmer.es/blog/30 , great job and well deserved!

Really the best soccer team in Europe at the moment, and it will be years to see that soccer and those results again... Smiley

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28 May 2009, 13:03:51 »
ReplyReply

I would have preferred Man U but the best team won...without a doubt
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 28 May 2009, 14:29:07 »
ReplyReply

...no time now, but wait for my detailed analysis, you have seen history happen - live! I am sure you will always remember this MAY 27...

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2 June 2009, 20:16:47 »
ReplyReply

...no time now, but wait for my detailed analysis, you have seen history happen - live! I am sure you will always remember this MAY 27...

Rattler

detailed analysis

damn...promises....you shouldn't make them.... hihi
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2 June 2009, 20:27:37 »
ReplyReply

Koen, here my (not so  Grijns) serious response:

Hey, I have it all prepared... it is just that I had (and have) no time to post now (as it is moot anyway it has not priority at all more than being probably valued as a historical review of one of the more than 1.500 Millions better coaches in some 10+ yrs...), I have a few otherissues to address currently (and this part *is* serious):

- work schedule from 0600J in the morning (but - since JUN 1 and until AUG 31 -
, free after 1530J Smiley )

- mobbing at one of my (actually my major income source) jobs which (the mobbing: 20 emails a day to my boss from ENY daily , with my boss reuqesting me to contest) occupies me 3 hours a day entirely (and I will most probably find myself without sufficient income for maintaining life after OCT 1 for this reason)

- a business opportunity which could raise me some 30.000 Euros within 3 month if I follow through, and with a bit of luck (and no (!) risk involved, just work outside working hours)... Want to guess my priorities ATM???  Huh?

- End/start of month with all paperwork involved... (Hacienda!!! ;( )

- Murphy has it that all the forums where I am tech admin suddenly encounter strange problems that need to be attended *urgently*...  Brede lach

So, please (to stick with soccer language) keep the ball *low* ATM with me...  whipit. This said, you can speed up my response by posting *your own analysis*, thats for sure, as I only would have to answer and take it apart  waa...  Grijns

If I can - I have one hour between 0500 and 0600J every morning, and again another one (not so fit then) after 2000J , ( and all JULIET times same as your´s) - I will post it, late or not.

Request you guys to stand by patiently  whistle.

Rattler
« Last Edit: 2 June 2009, 20:43:33 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2 June 2009, 21:09:01 »
ReplyReply

no problem dude...

I was disappointed in the game...I expected the game of games...
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: 2 September 2009, 17:19:39 »
ReplyReply

Today I saw the fault( or rather criminal attack) on a Belgian player..difficult name.
He broke his leg very bad, he had a terrible look on his face.

What bothers me even more is that the club from the player who did this gives him an excuse and protects him.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2 September 2009, 17:31:50 »
ReplyReply

Today I saw the fault( or rather criminal attack) on a Belgian player..difficult name.
He broke his leg very bad, he had a terrible look on his face.

What bothers me even more is that the club from the player who did this gives him an excuse and protects him.

Axel Witsel Tackle Wasilewski Leg Break

this isn't a tackle...on TV you can see his eyes turning towards his victim and then he puts his feet in a vertical movement down...football is a horizontal sport...

yes, his club says it's not done on purpose but by accident...yeah...sure....right...
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2 September 2009, 23:02:28 »
ReplyReply

red ... and a long time sanction.

This *was* on purpose, as Koen says, you can see it.

Rattler

Mike
Sergeant

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26 September 2009, 18:12:14 »
ReplyReply

Dick Advokaat become the new trainer of the Belgian National team today. I hope he can put some of the "Hollander" passion in them and make play 100 procent better :p
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26 September 2009, 18:24:36 »
ReplyReply

Dick Advokaat become the new trainer of the Belgian National team today. I hope he can put some of the "Hollander" passion in them and make play 100 procent better :p

yes, we all hope...haven't watched a Red Devils aka Red Pussies match for a LONG time  hdbng
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 26 September 2009, 18:39:08 »
ReplyReply

yeah, an old Dutch joke says : he doesnt want to have anything to do with soccer for two years Knipoog waa

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mike
Sergeant

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 26 September 2009, 19:10:22 »
ReplyReply

hahahahahahahaha  hihi

I admire the guy greatly for taking on such a difficult task, he wont have an easy time :p
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 26 September 2009, 19:19:26 »
ReplyReply

hahahahahahahaha  hihi

I admire the guy greatly for taking on such a difficult task, he wont have an easy time :p

I'm sure he'll be getting plenty of euros for it!

2nd in command is Wilmots, a great player and bilangual...
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: 27 September 2009, 09:14:52 »
ReplyReply

in our fantasy soccer league 13th_redneck is slowly gaining on me, let´s see how this weekend will turn out, will keep you updated... The big problem is the constant rotation, especially in Sevilla and Madrid, I always seem to end up with players that do not play: I have had 3 Sevilla players this weekend, Sevilla won 4:0, but none of my guys played though they had played all 4 games before (but then the players I had from Sevilla did not play, so I changed to them this week ... St. Elm Serpientes ZERO points.... Bedroefd

13th Redneck had the Sevilla goalie, at keeping his box to zero, that is 16 points more than me again... Grrrrr!

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: 17 October 2009, 18:32:06 »
ReplyReply

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post, I think we *need* an orbituaties section, but:

Today, an icon of Spanish Basket Ball and Soccer moderation on TV was found dead in his house, only 2 weeks after his last program appearance, and not really old (50+, my age...?): Andrés Montes is dead!

Non Spanish Speakers the name might not tell anything, but he is the one guy that on his own revolutionized TV coverage of Basket (in "Canal+") and later Soccer (in "La Sexta") with his unique and sometimes controversial style of letting his mouth follow his heart... and always ended every report with "...and life can be really beautiful!..." ("... y la vida puede ser maravillosa!...)

OTW he created his own dictionary/thesaurus of expressions and phrases that today have become part of everyday Spanish language, like (and this as a kind of tranlsation service):

- "Pincho de Merluza" to describe a defensive block in  Basket (that is translated a "Cod spear" and refers to the cheapest Spanish food in the early 20th century that would "block the hunger")

- "The Helicopter" for a dunk

- "Jugon" for a great player

- "Ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatataaa (repeated if necessary)....!!!!" for a great game move or an announced triple from far away

- "tiqui-taqua" for a nice technical move/dribbling or combination in soccer

- "Vilmaaaa!"... (abre me la puerta!) which translates to "Wilmaaaa!...." (open the door!) from the Flintstones, used to describe clear misses of the basket or the goal when there was no defense involved - one of the standards in everyday Spanish by today for almost every request...

He named every player along his own ideas: Jordan and Gasol "E.T.", Pujol "Tiburon" (shark), etc. etc....

His unique face, dressing style and penetrating, unforgettable voice: A "genius" lost... and will be missed... Thanks for giving us sooooo much fun, and "... la vida puede ser maravillosa!..."   R.I.P. !

EDIT 1.12.10: Again videos deleted by Google/Youtube, replaced as good as possible, but of course not on the exact hit of my post then...

EDIT: Here you can see (hear) his style, a true Wolfman Jack of sports reportage...:
Andrés Montes Frases

A first hommage vid out today, with all the famous phrases, his dictionary when he was with "La sesta" (he was actually with "la seXta"  hihi):
EDIT
MOMENTOS ANDRÉS MONTES

One of the great matches I saw moderated by him (in team), my Barca vs. Madrid 2:0 Smiley, he lets it all out!
FC Barcelona 2 0 Real Madrid La Sexta Andres Montes

Hasta siempre, jugón!  cry

MOMENTOS ANDRÉS MONTES

Rattler
« Last Edit: 1 December 2010, 22:26:49 by Rattler » Logged

Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44874132 | Sitemap