19 May 2024, 05:25:08 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: PCO Map Maker  (Read 3783 times)
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« on: 14 May 2011, 22:05:40 »
ReplyReply

PCO Map Maker

You can put as much or as little time into a map as you like. A winter map of mostly an open field area with a few houses would take me less than an hour. It would take a beginner less than an hour on the map making part as well. What would take the time for a newer map maker would be finding what they are looking for.

That's exactly the reason behind the map making videos and my Pictorial on Map Making.

To help cut down on the learning curve. The term "steep learning curve" simply means poor documentation. We absolutely don't intend for there to be a steep learning curve using the Map Making editor for this game. Stridor started this project with a full head of hair. He now has tremendously less hair having me tell him over and over, "it's not simple enough". Back he would go and bring me another version. We'd start all over again and I'd tell him again, "it's not simple enough."

Finally, one day, he came to me and said, "This is as simple as I can make it." I think he's right. There is no other map making program like this one on the planet. It really can be so simple you click on the editor a dozen times and save a map that can be used in the game. OR you can spend days on your maps, like some people who will remain nameless....Mobius, and add so much detail that it becomes like a work of art.

Read through the map maker section of the rules. Open it up. Watch the first video and check the first part of the pictorial guide. You'll see how simple it really is. Follow along. By the time you make 3 maps there won't be anything you can't do or are afraid to try.

Pictorial Tutorial:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2801622

Video Tutorials:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/391/downloads/Close.Combat.-.Cross.of.Iron

Stridor made a program that is unbelievable in scope and simplicity.   thumbsup thx2 gj

Rick documented it all, both in the manual and in the video tutorials.    toot

Put those two things together and you have a tool that even my 12 year old grand daughter likes to play around with and makes maps on.

It really is that easy.

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2011, 17:52:54 »
ReplyReply

The map editor starts with a satellite photo of the earth using Google Earth or a terrain and height map of your own choosing. You then modify the terrain and height map to suit your needs. You show basic terrain on the map with the use of different textures.

The textures in PCO are a result of how the scenario designer chooses to display the terrain.

There are two settings with a range from 1 to 999 and two other settings that have a range of 20 more. That's a texture display range of 399,200,400. Then there is a directional display for the terrain texture that covers the 360 degrees of the compass. If you consider that to be 360 more options for display you come up with a total of 12,201,553,224,000  different display options for a single texture in PCO.

I can display the terrain textures showing from completely smooth to completely rough and everything in between. No other games terrain display features come anywhere near PCO's ability for the designer to show a texture as they wish. Ours are not a single tile that displays only one way in the game but it's a single pixel shown any way the designer wants to show it.

For those that like making maps or are concerned with how their maps look this is the map editor for you.

Here is a map making tutorial I've created with the use of screen shots to show just how easily this can all be done. My 12 year old Granddaughter has even used it to make maps of her own neighborhood. It's just that easy.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2801622

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44881367 | Sitemap