17 May 2024, 11:59:23 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Looking for information on Soviet Units in or near Schlobin, on the Dnepr,7/41  (Read 3814 times)
rick
Private

View Profile
« on: 5 April 2009, 10:35:43 »
ReplyReply

I'm trying to find infomration on what Soviet units may have been involved in the coutner attacks and/or defence of the Dnepr River corssings at Schlobin in the period July 3- 14, 1941.

I have a reference that Soviet XXV Mech Corp was there, along with LXIII Rifle Corp, and LXVI Rifle Corp.

But other information leads me to thin the XXV Mech Corp wasn't in that area during early July, 1941.

I'm trying to put together a reasonable OOB for a semi-historical engagement with the 6th Pz Rgt. sometime during the period july 54-July 10th. 

ANy pointers to where I might look (though I only understand english language) would be appreiciated.

EDIT: 

Just got 2 new references today (Colosus Reborn, David Glantz and Companion to Colossus Reborn, David Glantz).  From these voulems I was able to ferret out the OOD of the Soviet 21st Army in this area in early July.  And it apparently did have the XXV Mech Corp at this time.  (apparently the XXV Mech Corp didn't last long).  It also had a LXIII and LXVI Rifle Corps which meshes with my other sources.  I also have the Divisional assignments for those Corp - So if I can find the Rgt breakdowns I'll be good to go. 

Thanks
Rick
« Last Edit: 5 April 2009, 23:04:34 by rick » Logged
Mudhugger
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2009, 21:21:25 »
ReplyReply

From what I have read,
on July 5-6 1941, near Zhlobin
the Soviet 117th Rifle Division, of the LXVI Corps, 21st Army,  led
supported by tanks from XXV Mech, who was just forming up and not yet complete.

They hit the German 10th Motorized Infantry Division hard and somewhat by surprise.
Panzer Regiment 6 was ordered to reinforce, with the 1st Battalion leading and to attack without waiting for 2nd Battalion, who was delayed by difficult terrain. 2nd Battalion arrived later to fight. No mention here of the 3rd Battalion.

Losses: (for what it is worth)
Soviet- 42 tanks, 21 guns, 6 ATguns, 2 AAguns, 1 armored train
German- 21 tanks

Tank Strength of Panzer Regiment 6, all three battalions, on July 9, 1941
43 tanks MarkII
78 tanks MarkIII
24 tanks Mark IV
total= 145 tanks

On July 10, for the Staryi-Bychov attack.

III/Panzer Regiment 6 attached to Gruppe Kleeman
the rest of Panzer Regiment 6 in Gruppe Lewinski

For more information see:

The Initial Period of War on the Eastern Front, 22 June - August 1941 by David M. Glantz
             Hitler's Commander: Field Marshal Walther Model--Hitler's Favorite General by Steven H. Newton

rick
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2009, 20:31:07 »
ReplyReply

Mudhugger -

Thanks!  I"ll be using this info for the Campaign history for a Panzer Command Kharkov campaign I'm working on.

It's hard to get info sometimes at this scale of battle.

Thanks again
Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44858947 | Sitemap