17 May 2024, 10:32:02 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: WWII: Nazi colour pictures (LIFE)  (Read 10839 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 13 May 2010, 23:05:59 »
ReplyReply

click on thumbnails for fullsize pictures

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2010, 09:34:54 »
ReplyReply

I am slowly taking possession of copies from the wifes grandfathers collection of photo's from his service with the Fallschirmjager during WW2, basically I was given them about 5 years ago and have loaned them to the local army museum in return they are preserving them and storing them under the family name so we retain the rights to them.

He took literally thousands of pictures and they were stored in an old suit case pretty much from wars end to 5 years ago so they have suffered some damage but part of the deal is that as they are restored we get a copy, it is really interesting to see WW2 from the perspective of an army in retreat.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2010, 16:02:37 »
ReplyReply

I am slowly taking possession of copies from the wifes grandfathers collection of photo's from his service with the Fallschirmjager during WW2, basically I was given them about 5 years ago and have loaned them to the local army museum in return they are preserving them and storing them under the family name so we retain the rights to them.

He took literally thousands of pictures and they were stored in an old suit case pretty much from wars end to 5 years ago so they have suffered some damage but part of the deal is that as they are restored we get a copy, it is really interesting to see WW2 from the perspective of an army in retreat.

roundthumbs WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW  roundthumbs

may I say that I'm VERY interested in these pictures and their stories? he served with the FJ's?

did you see my pics and story on Eben-Emael?
there's a new book in Belgium on the story of May '40 with the story of Eben-Emael as one of the highlights....(quite negative reports on the Belgian soldiers  Onbeslist )
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2010, 16:06:37 »
ReplyReply

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 19:53:55 »
ReplyReply

roundthumbs WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW  roundthumbs

may I say that I'm VERY interested in these pictures and their stories? he served with the FJ's?

did you see my pics and story on Eben-Emael?
there's a new book in Belgium on the story of May '40 with the story of Eben-Emael as one of the highlights....(quite negative reports on the Belgian soldiers  Onbeslist )

It has taken quite a lot of effort to extract any data from him but he has agreed to try and fill in some of the blanks with the pictures such as names and locations, it is somewhat ironic that my father and his brothers served with the 2NZEF in Crete, North Africa and Italy and her grandfather on the other side served with the US 1st Army in North Africa and Italy so essentially they all faced off against each other for about 4 years and all survived unscathed.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2010, 20:10:12 »
ReplyReply

It has taken quite a lot of effort to extract any data from him but he has agreed to try and fill in some of the blanks with the pictures such as names and locations, it is somewhat ironic that my father and his brothers served with the 2NZEF in Crete, North Africa and Italy and her grandfather on the other side served with the US 1st Army in North Africa and Italy so essentially they all faced off against each other for about 4 years and all survived unscathed.

keep us informed

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2010, 22:52:30 »
ReplyReply

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2011, 21:48:33 »
ReplyReply

how far are you with this project Monty B?
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 10:58:41 »
ReplyReply

Well to be honest getting information out of him is like pulling teeth.

The restoration work on the photo's is complete, we managed to bring him out here to see the exhibit at the museum (it is the main Army Museum in the country) and while here he got invites to veterans association clubs and meetings it is surprising how former enemies can sit down and laugh about the same war stories.

Consequently the local Services club now have my copy of his photos and I am awaiting a new set, however as a result he has opened up a lot more in providing detail so I guess the project is moving forward and sideways at the same time.

That being said I now know that he missed the opening stages of the war as he was still in training but did take part in the invasion of Crete and finished the war in Trieste.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 18:59:50 »
ReplyReply

Well to be honest getting information out of him is like pulling teeth.

The restoration work on the photo's is complete, we managed to bring him out here to see the exhibit at the museum (it is the main Army Museum in the country) and while here he got invites to veterans association clubs and meetings it is surprising how former enemies can sit down and laugh about the same war stories.

Consequently the local Services club now have my copy of his photos and I am awaiting a new set, however as a result he has opened up a lot more in providing detail so I guess the project is moving forward and sideways at the same time.

That being said I now know that he missed the opening stages of the war as he was still in training but did take part in the invasion of Crete and finished the war in Trieste.

you know that you can open a topic for this project anytime you want, ok?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44858275 | Sitemap