17 May 2024, 11:59:41 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Problem with Comment Section not Scrolling with Text  (Read 3350 times)
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« on: 11 October 2009, 22:12:20 »
ReplyReply

TechAdmin,
  Recently I noticed that if I type a lot of text in this very box, suddenly I cannot see the line I am typing on, except for the moment that I hit the key, because the line then bounces up from the line being typed.  For short messages this is no problem, but at times I get verbose, typing a lot of text, and cannot really see what I am typing.  I hadn't seen this problem for quite a while, and only recently, perhaps in the past few months, has this started to occur.  It is not insurmountable, and I can always type in Word and then cut and paste, but I don't know why this would be suddenly happening.  I have to use the side bar arrow or the mouse wheel to move the text down to the bottom and correct what I wrote.  It is almost as if I've reached some sort of limit to the text that can be typed, and once the bar on the side of the box is activated, then I have the problem.  I am not sure how many lines it takes before I end up defaulting into this situation.  In this case I've typed 14 or so lines and the problem did not happen here.  However, the problem happened in my post about a book I was recommending, Bloody Streets.  I didn't count the lines there, but that just occurred today, with the problem I mention.  However, it doesn't seem to be happening here.  Curious.

I am using a Dell XPS, with Windows XP, and Internet Explorer.  I thought I would toss that out to see what you thought. 

Heinrich505
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2009, 23:32:20 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for advising, I have noted it on my (MacMini) machine, too.

What is your connection rate and your RAM?

I think, your analysis is right, we have reached some limits of current internet technology for medium equipped rigs. As far as I could investigate, it simply is a block from your browser when trying to parse all the moving smileys and rotating banners, too much input for your browser to parse if the browser cache is below 1 GB, this setting not only depending on RAM but also on bandwith in combination (the high-end rig users won´t see this prob, enough RAM and cache and it doesn´t appear...).

SOLUTIONS:

From user side:

- Use the scroll wheel a bit, it should refresh the page and you see again where you are (that is what I do, as I run a meager Mac Mini, if I move the text box to not display smileys I am usually fine).

- in your browser preferences, set your cache memory to the max you can afford (cache memory describes the space your browser will reserve in RAM/disc to store data like image, repretive stuff, etc.)

From forum/tech side:

- Replace animated .gifs with static ones in the text posting box, and also transfer the animated gifs to the "more" section of smileys.

I am (yet) reluctant to do the latter at the moment, as with the before mentioned solutions the problem can be covered and I am assuming that only we half stone age equipped guys will see it (as TechAdmin: Never run a high-end rig! YOu won´t understand what your low end users see!).

Still, as the idea is to serve our members, if this should become anything close to a show stopper for more than a few, this is what I am going to do (change to static smileys). I have no clue yet whether this affects the majority or just a few of our members, I shall set up a poll to get some feedback.

Contact me on PM for further discussion if this anwer does not solve your problem or for other reasons results not satisfactory.

TA

TechAdmin,
  Recently I noticed that if I type a lot of text in this very box, suddenly I cannot see the line I am typing on, except for the moment that I hit the key, because the line then bounces up from the line being typed.  For short messages this is no problem, but at times I get verbose, typing a lot of text, and cannot really see what I am typing.  I hadn't seen this problem for quite a while, and only recently, perhaps in the past few months, has this started to occur.  It is not insurmountable, and I can always type in Word and then cut and paste, but I don't know why this would be suddenly happening.  I have to use the side bar arrow or the mouse wheel to move the text down to the bottom and correct what I wrote.  It is almost as if I've reached some sort of limit to the text that can be typed, and once the bar on the side of the box is activated, then I have the problem.  I am not sure how many lines it takes before I end up defaulting into this situation.  In this case I've typed 14 or so lines and the problem did not happen here.  However, the problem happened in my post about a book I was recommending, Bloody Streets.  I didn't count the lines there, but that just occurred today, with the problem I mention.  However, it doesn't seem to be happening here.  Curious.

I am using a Dell XPS, with Windows XP, and Internet Explorer.  I thought I would toss that out to see what you thought.  

Heinrich505

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44858951 | Sitemap