4 May 2024, 13:04:22 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: [USMC] Could model airplanes become a terror weapon?  (Read 2396 times)
NewsMan
Administrator

Monaco

View Profile
« on: 30 September 2011, 05:00:14 »
ReplyReply

Could model airplanes become a terror weapon?

Model airplanes are suddenly on the public’s radar as potential terrorist weapons. […]

Read more: Could model airplanes become a terror weapon?

From Marinecorpstimes.com (USMC)

For most folks, no news is good news; for the press, good news is no-no news, and people everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with true news.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2011, 15:50:26 »
ReplyReply

Interesting article, indeed.

I dont know whether they serve as weapons of high effectivity against buildings, but against crowds etc. they surely would yield.

Before becoming a pilot, in my youth, I imagined all kind of wierd stuff to do with model planes (of course I was a dedicated a/c model builder in the DAEC, one way to obtain junior flying school permits at 14 and sponsored at that time): Spying on neighbours, live dog fights with real ammo, smuggling drugs from the Netherlands, etc.

While the technical side did not yield during the 60s, most of what I dreamt of is possible/feasible today, much of it standard and cheap:

For just 299 $ (200 Euros) you can obtain your own UAV, an AR drone, my current favorite (from my first money next month from my new work I plan to buy one and set up a AR drone center here on the island) that - steered via iPhone, iPod, iPad or Android -  does live dog fights (like a vid game where you electronically "splash" your oppnent), can spy at the young lady opposite that always takes a nekkid sunbath on her roof terrace, etc...

Here some vids showing all the aspects I mentioned, the toy from my childhood dreams:

Parrot AR Drone presentation

AR Drone spy flight example with HUD

AR Drone dog fight duel in Sahara desert

So, I think yes indeed those a/c can be used for all kinds of purposes, productives (like aerial photos), to illegals (spy cam ready) and also as terrorist means.

Asking now for the prohibition of model craft I find very strange from the Americans, isn´t it their credo that it is the person that does harm, not the gun?

Rattler
« Last Edit: 30 September 2011, 15:56:13 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44682835 | Sitemap