17 May 2024, 19:36:34 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: US war Cemetary- Margraten,Limburg (NL)  (Read 11768 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 1 December 2013, 21:46:21 »
ReplyReply

Today, the 1st of december I have visited the US war cemetary in Margraten.

The lay out of the monuments, the way the entire field was made and the sight of the crosses is very impressive.
It really took my breathe away......
Below are the pictures I took, and with the words a visitor wrote in the guest book I will close.

With eternal gratitude of a thankfull nation, we will remember your sacrifice forever, may you rest in peace.

Opposite view of the cemetary overlooking the hills of Limburg.

Entrance, on the right staff building with guestbook.

Monument

Wall with the names of all MIA in Europe

Field on the right, front view

Monument rear view

Chapel inside the monument

field on the left side

Front view of the monument
« Last Edit: 1 December 2013, 21:52:53 by stoffel » Logged

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
SweetMouse
Private

Spain

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2013, 23:15:54 »
ReplyReply

Interesting: The text line is from a - probably the most - famous soldier poem of WWI: "In Flanders Fields", which seems a selection a little bit off for a WWII soldiers´cemetery (there must be WWII poems also, one should think?).

Also, the text is broken into lines differently from how it was presented in the original poem, which makes it´s sense harder to understand and deprives it of a little bit of it´s impact. This said, I have long ago chosen these two lines for my tombstone, as I find them very inspiring thinking about how generations pass on the values frome one to the next.

Let me post the original WWI soldier poem here, with your permisssion (in the published print version, the hand written version is different, as you can see in the Facsimile below: Line 1 ends with the word "grow"), highlighting the lines in question:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high!

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Curiously, these two lines also make the motto of one of Canada´s Ice Hockey clubs.

---------------

Facsimile of the handwritten poem by John McCrae

« Last Edit: 17 December 2013, 23:34:22 by SweetMouse » Logged
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2013, 20:03:39 »
ReplyReply

You are right, I found that line sounded familiar as well.
Thanks for sharing!

Henk

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2015, 17:10:36 »
ReplyReply

Yesterday, may 24th the annual commemoration for the fallen US soldiers in my country took place at Margraten cemetary.
Below you will see a selection of pictures taken by one of the Dutch army combat photographers.

Pictures taken by: sm Rosanno Sambajon Fotografie, Dutch army

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44862830 | Sitemap