16 May 2024, 11:12:33 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Operation Montana Raider Vietnam 1969  (Read 6268 times)
Mad_Russian
Local Moderator

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« on: 25 March 2011, 04:42:45 »
ReplyReply

Operation Montana Raider

US Military Operation in Vietnam.

12 April - 14 May 1969
1st Cavalry Division and 11 Armored Cavalry Regiment operation in Tay Ninh Province
VC/NVA KIA's: 358
US KIA's: ??

Primary Sources:
http://www.3rdmarines.net/Vietnam_Operations_by_Name.htm
"The Rise and Fall of an American Army: U.S. Ground Forces in Vietnam, 1965-1973" by Shelby L. Stanton

Good Hunting

MR
Spawrtan
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 4 April 2012, 02:01:44 »
ReplyReply

I was the PSYOP Team Leader when Montana Raider commenced.  We started on the 12th from Dau Tieng, and operated to the Northeast through the Michelin Rubber PLantation in search of the NVA 7th Div HQ.  We had many instances of sporadic contact.  I was wounded on the morning of 18 April at the outset of a large ambush on our armored column.  I was medevaced, hospitalized, and eventually sent home to recuperate.  The infantry unit linked with the 11th ACR was 1/8th Cav, 1st Cav Division. 

I remember it like it was yesterday.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 4 April 2012, 12:47:34 »
ReplyReply

Spawrtan,

Welcome on board!
We have more veterans here on the site.
Please do write more about these operations.
All veterans should speak out because there actions may not be forgotten!!

Stoffel

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mad_Russian
Local Moderator

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 4 April 2012, 18:06:09 »
ReplyReply

Welcome to the site Spawtan.

These first posts are generally very brief. I wanted to get them listed and will come back as I have time and put more information on each of them.

Sorry to hear you were wounded.

Thanks for your service.

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad_Russian
Local Moderator

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 4 April 2012, 18:08:55 »
ReplyReply

Operation MONTANA RAIDER, conducted from 12 April to 14 May 1969 in the area east and north of Tay Ninh City, was aimed at a rear service support and transportation zone for enemy troops and equipment entering South Vietnam from Cambodia. Although the exact location and identity of enemy units in this region were not known, two North Vietnamese divisions were thought to be present. The terrain was not rugged, but dense jungle hampered movement. The MONTANA RAIDER force consisted of one infantry-heavy and two armor-heavy task forces under command of the 11th Armored Cavalry. The regiment's air cavalry troop and the 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry, the air cavalry squadron of the 1st Cavalry Division, flew in support of the operation. An artillery battalion headquarters under direct control of.the regiment coordinated all artillery fire. A cover and deception plan was devised to persuade the enemy that U.S. forces were moving north and west of Tay Ninh City. Air cavalrymen, flying over enemy base camps, deliberately lost map overlays clearly marking the area northwest of Tay Ninh City as an objective for the operation, and intentional security breaches in radio transmissions were employed to the same end.

At 0800 on 12 April operational control of the 11th Armored Cavalry passed from the 1st Infantry Division to the 1st Cavalry Division, marking the beginning Of MONTANA RAIDER. In accordance with the deception plan, the armor-heavy task forces left Bien Hoa and moved past the actual area of operations. As the 11th Armored Cavalry's 2d Squadron task force neared Dau Tieng, it swung northwest to join Company A of the 1st Battalion, 8th Cavalry (Airmobile), while the l1th Cavalry's 1st Squadron task force moved into another base and linked up with Company C of the 1st Battalion, 8th Cavalry. The movement through and beyond the actual area of operations was designed to suggest further to the enemy that the operation would be conducted northwest of Tay Ninh City. By 1700 on 12 April all forces had completed the 98 kilometer move and were ready for action.

On 13 April Colonel James H. Leach, commander of the 11th Armored Cavalry took operational control of an airmobile infantry unit, the 1st Battalion, 8th Cavalry, and began reconnaissance in force operations east to Tay Ninh City. The 11th Cavalry's 1st Squadron task force entered the area from the southwest, its 2d Squadron task force from the northwest, and the 8th Cavalry task force from the northeast. In order to give the 8th Cavalry task force additional firepower and some armored protection, Troop G and one platoon of Company H, the tank company of the 2d Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry, were attached. The first unit to clash with the enemy was the regimental air cavalry troop, which was assessing bomb damage from a B-52 strike. After the aerorifles and infantry reinforcements were sent in, Troop A of the 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry, arrived, and in an all-day battle in the heavy jungle finally drove the enemy out. The following days saw scattered fighting as the task forces converged. Artillery and air strikes were used liberally to destroy enemy base camps. The longest battle of Phase I occurred on 18 April when Troops A and B of the 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry, met a large enemy force. Heavy artillery and air strikes were used against the enemy, but the assault was delayed when machine gun tracer ammunition created a fire storm in the bamboo thickets. The enemy lost seventy-six men in this battle.

At the end of Phase I, and after two days devoted to maintenance, Phase II opened with a 149-kilometer road march for the entire regiment to Quan Loi in Binh Long Province, 100 kilometers north of Saigon. Phases II and III saw the combined arms task forces of the 11th Armored Cavalry ranging throughout eastern War Zone C, engaging the enemy in short, bitter fights, almost always in heavy jungle. The stress again was on mobility, firepower, and the combined arms team.

MONTANA RAIDER demonstrated the versatility of a large, mounted unit, aggressively led and employing conventional armored award doctrine in isolated jungle. All three phases of MONTANA RAIDER again showed the value of combined arms -armored cavalry, infantry, artillery, and air cavalry. Surprising mobility was achieved by tracked vehicles, which covered more than 1,600 kilometers during the operation; of that distance, 1,300 kilometers were in dense jungle. More important was the fact that this operation, REMAGEN in the north, and others throughout Vietnam put free world forces in possession of the enemy base areas during 1969. With nowhere else to go, the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese pulled back to their bases in Cambodia and Laos.

Primary Sources:
http://www.history.army.mil/books/Vietnam/mounted/chapter6.htm

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44847143 | Sitemap