3 May 2024, 14:58:40 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Round 1 Scenario Throne of Glory  (Read 7189 times)
Mad Russian

« on: 3 January 2009, 07:35:38 »
ReplyReply

Round 1 is over. Time to discuss the scenarios.

This is the discussion thread for the scenario

Throne of Glory...

Author - Al

Let him know how you felt about the scenario.

Good Hunting.

MR
DrVonCool
Private 1st class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 3 January 2009, 13:25:23 »
ReplyReply

This seemed very much like an "uphill battle" for the Axis to me. Allies can fire steep downhill while the Axis tanks seem to have difficulties to fire steep uphill (and that is without the height disadavantage of hitting something thin on the vehicle top).

The bridge glitch then did it for me.

The idea is nice, but I got the impression that the Allies have too much power compared to the Axis forces.

von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 3 January 2009, 20:05:31 »
ReplyReply

Jimbo and I played this one out and he got a desicive victory as the Axis.  Even with the height advantage of the Russians, there are lots of places for the Axis to hide, then suddenly be in the Allied face.  We ended up with several "knife fights in a phone booth" during the match.

The Valentines, even with the height advantage and hull down, were no match for the Pzkw III's.

I liked the terrain, but it was so extreme, it was almost "cartoonish", if that makes sense.  You had to work really hard to get an Allied unit into a position to fire without being too exposed.  Unlike, Dr. VonCool's experience, the Axis had no trouble at all shooting uphill. :'(

I think the scenario has a lot of replay value because there are so many ways it can be played by both sides.  Fix the "bridge to nowhere" and I would play it again right now!

Great job!   Brede lach

***von Staudt***
voland
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 3 January 2009, 20:12:59 »
ReplyReply

Can someone explain the bridge glitch?

I had one of my T34 get reversed when going under a bridge? IS this the glitch?
TedRam1
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 3 January 2009, 21:12:05 »
ReplyReply

Hi voland,
No, the glitch is if a tank tries to stop under the bridge it ends up on top. they it flew up there magically.
If you plot a movement to go under a bridge you will see  the movement line go from ground level to the top of the bridge then back to ground level.
If you move infantry under a bridge they go in "rested" and come out the other side "exhausted" like they had just climbed up and over (at least mine did).
Hope that helps.
DrVonCool
Private 1st class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 3 January 2009, 22:55:34 »
ReplyReply

T34 driving under bridge:

T34 jumps onto top of bridge with full LOS from up there:

TedRam1
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 4 January 2009, 01:17:37 »
ReplyReply

Pictures are a thousand words.......

Well done Doc. Smiley
Mad Russian

« Reply #7 on: 4 January 2009, 07:43:01 »
ReplyReply

And in DrVonCool's case the T-34 broke down on top of the bridge. So the bridge to heaven took that tank straight to heaven and then it started shooting down on all the mortals below.

Which is why the scenario was not scored. I played this scenario and didn't have a problem with misbehaving tanks. Interesting battle though. Al does a great job with is mountain scenarios.

Good Hunting.

MR
Stndrtnfhr
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 4 January 2009, 08:45:03 »
ReplyReply

Ah, now I understand the glitch.  I moved my T-34s under the bridge and had no issues, that is why I could not figure out what the problem was.  This was a tough battle, for both sides.  This was a very cool map and a  fun scenario to play.

Regards
Stndrtnfhr
[hirr]Leto
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 5 January 2009, 04:24:01 »
ReplyReply

I won this one handily.  After we were told that the game would not count, I screwed around and made a nutty attack across the river with my T-34's and Valentines and lost every last tank...  I had wiped out the entire german force on the west bridge and had blocked on the east with infantry and hit and run tank support. 

The PZR III longs are more than ample enough to deal with the vals and T-34's... I think this is a good straight up battle with a nice little map that allows one to be creative and use tactics effectively.

The tactics I used as the Soviet were to march straight up to blocking positions in the woods and river crossing on both sides, leaving the large flag in the middle to a LMG and mortar spotters.  My opponent tried to send a SiG onto the ridge which my Vals took out, and my T-34's mobbed the west river crossing with infantry support and this two pronged blocking action worked exceptionally.

Cheers!

Leto
DrVonCool
Private 1st class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 5 January 2009, 21:49:39 »
ReplyReply

The PZR III longs are more than ample enough to deal with the vals and T-34's...

I disagree. Only the Tungsten ammo can touch a T34, especially when it's higher than the PzIII. Unfortunately, the PzIII had very few T ammo.

MeatEtr
Private

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2009, 22:15:26 »
ReplyReply

Hi voland,
No, the glitch is if a tank tries to stop under the bridge it ends up on top. they it flew up there magically.
If you plot a movement to go under a bridge you will see  the movement line go from ground level to the top of the bridge then back to ground level.
If you move infantry under a bridge they go in "rested" and come out the other side "exhausted" like they had just climbed up and over (at least mine did).
Hope that helps.

Ha, then I was affected by this glitch and didn't even know it. I was wondering why in the hell were my infantry exhausted running from the russian reinforcements spot.  I must of missed it watching the turn replay. 

I still won this one very easily though. There were a lot of dead Germans on the bridge and fords. I lost all my Vals and 2 of 3 of my T-34s. Lost 1 T-34 to the Sig and the other to 2-3 PzRs. I agree the T-34 is better in a one to one duel. But if you can get 2 to 1 duel, which is very possible in this scenario since the T-34s are outnumberd, then the T-34s are in trouble.

I love the performance of my mountain gun, he was the hero of the battle and the crew will all get medals. They bagged two PzRs trying to flank around to the train station.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44671354 | Sitemap