18 May 2024, 23:56:53 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Job Hunting in the US - Resume and Cover Letters  (Read 9996 times)
Mad Russian

« on: 18 March 2009, 01:28:12 »
ReplyReply

If you are job hunting in the United States, and yes I am, then you are going through the age old dilemma of how to write an effective cover letter and resume.

Here are some sites I found that may help. I think they are helping me and I wished I'd read them before I sent out the cover letters and resumes I've already sent out.

Writing a Cover Letter

and this site:

Resume Writing

I hope they are as helpful to you as they have been to me.

Good Hunting.

MR
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2009, 02:03:28 »
ReplyReply

thx for sharing, but believe me:

As (in the past) boss I would always give more attention to letters that were off of the "rules" as those usually allowe more insights about an applicee and usually were posted by the more interesting employee candidates...

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
bongotastic
Sergeant

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2009, 03:02:38 »
ReplyReply

Hey MR, first of all good luck with the hunt.

I guess that it depend on how the local economy is affected by the recession, but from here it looks like every job sector has a shortage of employees. I've heard that the recession is hitting the US much harder than up here in Canada, so maybe what I see doesn't match your reality.

The resumes in the academic world are so boring: they are nothing more than a shopping list of publications and grants. Trying to do anything else is usually a sign that the author is trying to hide something. I would agree with the cover letter piece: it makes the difference between a thoughtful applicant and someone spamming lots of employers with his/her CV.

Hobbying on less than an hour per day.
Iraq, 2008 : www.opcon.org/SadrCity/
Italy, 1361 : www.opcon.org/drupal/
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2009, 18:17:29 »
ReplyReply

Well, I have a new experience.
This happened today.

As you may know the army here has a shortage of around 6000 to 7000 men.
I saw an article in a magazine about the military postal unit, they have 6 jobs vacant.
So I made a phonecall to the CO and made an appointment with him to apply for the job.
He was very interested, I work for the royal dutch mail, I have military experience, in short the perfect candidate.

But I dont get the job....
Why , I hear you guys thinking?
Because the secretary of defense in all his wisdom, declared that only fulltime soldiers may apply to the function, and if there are no takers than only people without a job can apply.
Than after 2 years I can try it again.

I simply cant believe it Bedroefd

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2009, 21:54:21 »
ReplyReply

Well, I have a new experience.
This happened today.

As you may know the army here has a shortage of around 6000 to 7000 men.
I saw an article in a magazine about the military postal unit, they have 6 jobs vacant.
So I made a phonecall to the CO and made an appointment with him to apply for the job.
He was very interested, I work for the royal dutch mail, I have military experience, in short the perfect candidate.

But I dont get the job....
Why , I hear you guys thinking?
Because the secretary of defense in all his wisdom, declared that only fulltime soldiers may apply to the function, and if there are no takers than only people without a job can apply.
Than after 2 years I can try it again.

I simply cant believe it Bedroefd

There is only one way: VOTE accordingly to what your experience tells you...  Brede lach

Rattler

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2009, 22:40:46 »
ReplyReply

Kwaad

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mad Russian

« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2009, 04:04:31 »
ReplyReply

What's so hard to understand about the way the military doesn't work.

It's that way in all armies no matter the nationality.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2009, 14:38:15 »
ReplyReply

not only military, I think that military works even more logical then civilian...
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2009, 21:45:54 »
ReplyReply

MR,
  Good luck in your search.  Everybody is getting laid off in the Pacific Northwest.  Boeing just announced several hundred layoffs.  What are you hoping for, something history related?  Just curious.

Stoffel,
  Yeah, why would it make sense to hire a guy that already knew the job and had military experience as well.  Sorry that one didn't work out for you.  That ridiculous excuse of only having people who don't have a job apply, is really short-thinking.  If you got the job, then someone without a job could apply for YOUR job.  Managers.

The Dilbert cartoon in some of the newspapers really says it all.  It is downright uncanny sometimes how that cartoonist can hit the issue right dead on, over and over again. 

The cartoon the other day....
Dilbert is complaining to his live-in dog friend.  He says, "Today I got in trouble for not doing something that I wasn't aware needed to be done.  Yesterday I got in trouble for doing something that no one asked me to do, but needed to be done.  Tomorrow I plan to sit in my cubicle like a frozen you-know-what and avoid all human contact."  The dog asks, "Does it rhyme with bird?"

Heinrich505
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2009, 22:14:27 »
ReplyReply

Yeah politicians.....

They also want more women in the army, but last year an investigation showed there was no real animo for a military career for women.
A big no-go for most people is the war in AFghanistan, applying for a job is going there for sure Smiley

In the mean time I get older... Bedroefd

Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 9 March 2012, 21:13:41 »
ReplyReply

Jobs seem to be picking up in the US. They are in our area at least.

I have a really good job for the first time in over 4 years.

Good Hunting.

MR
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2012, 20:29:03 »
ReplyReply

Nice to hear, MR!
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2012, 22:34:13 »
ReplyReply

Animo and godspeed!

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2012, 16:28:28 »
ReplyReply

Thanks guys!

Best wishes to the rest of you around the world that are also looking for employment. The process these days can be daunting.

I HATE where all you do is send in a resume along with no telling how many others.

I always do well face to face. So, for me at least, job fairs are a better way to go. It was at a job fair that I got this job. I was talking with, translate being interviewed by, one of the companies Senior Vice Presidents. When we were finished talking he tells me you need to fill out an application for us.

You don't get that online. They may never see you or talk with you. Here in the US they do job fairs quite a bit. At least in our area they do. I would go to any of them that you are interested in that segment of the business world they are hiring for.

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44878055 | Sitemap