18 May 2024, 22:54:13 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Amateur landing?  (Read 6770 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 30 May 2009, 18:53:30 »
ReplyReply

The principal gateway to St. Barths (SBH) is through Juliana Airport in nearby Dutch St.Maarten, where flights arrive daily from both the USA and Europe.

St Barths airport
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2009, 16:29:28 »
ReplyReply

Don´t really think so: These Seneca and TwinOtter/Aztec drivers go there all the time and in theory know what they are doing (and also need a special "terrain qualifying" rating/certification), but St, Barth is one of the more challenging landing strips I know (1650 usable feet of 2100, 10 degrees downhill on Rwy 10, and entering straight into threshold from above a hill of 200ft).

If you are not well versed in this type of (actually outside or emergency) type of landings and have the wind change as you come in, you are in trouble, as there is hardly a way you can do a rapid turn-around (though I would definitely include this vid into turn-around training as I believe there was time for one - he should never even have touched down IMO), the distance to the hill in front of you seems wider in the vid than it actually is. I suspect there also might have been some brake probs involved.

Surprisingly the strip has a not bad safety record (20 dead in a DHC-6 TwinOtter crash 2001, several hit trucks and stuff on the road that recently has been moved in 2004 w/o injuries):

http://aviation-safety.net/database/airport/airport.php?id=SBH

Narrative:
The Twin Otter plane was on a 10-minute inter island flight between St. Maarten and Saint-Barthélémy and approached Saint-Barthélémy from the West for a visual approach and landing on runway 10. While on finals over the 'Col de la Tourmente', the aircraft was seen making a sharp turn to the left. The Twin Otter struck a house on the 'Col de la Tourmente' and caught fire. A man on the ground was also killed and his wife was injured. While on finals the captain probably
selected "beta reverse range" on the propellers in order to slow down. Upon vigorously pushing back the power levers to their normal position, an asymmetric power condition developed. The Twin Otter rolled to the left and crashed.
Saint-Barthélémy is known for the difficult approach to the airport and pilots flying into Saint-Barthélémy need to have a special certification. After overflying 'Col de la Tourmente' a quick steep descent has to be made to land at runway 10, a 2100 feet runway which ends up in sea. The aircraft overfly the 'Col de la Tourmente' at a height of 10m or less.

PROBABLE CAUSES: "The accident appears to result from the Captain's use of the propellers in the reverse beta range, to improve control of his track on short final. A strong thrust asymmetry at the moment when coming out of the reverse beta range would have caused the loss of yaw control, then roll control of the aircraft.
The investigation could not exclude three other hypotheses which can nevertheless be classified as quite unlikely:
- A loss of control during a go-around.
- A loss of control due to a stall.
- A loss of control due to sudden incapacitation of one of the pilots.
The Captain's lack of recent experience on this airplane type, the undeniable difficulty of conducting an approach to runway 10 at Saint-Barthélemy and the pressure of time during this flight were contributory factors. The low height at which the loss of control occurred was an aggravating factor."

Check some of those vids about *normal* landing procedures, both from outside as from cockpit and you will see the problem (click on the youtube logo in the first one as insertion has been deactivated and you need to view it there):

Cockpit View:

A nice one this 737 sim stuff (first one admittedly landing on 28, much easier, but go-around might be botched if necessary):

Rattler
« Last Edit: 31 May 2009, 16:41:03 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2009, 17:30:16 »
ReplyReply

first one admittedly landing on 28

did a 737 actually land there  Huh?
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2009, 19:44:03 »
ReplyReply

Not that I knew of. I know for sure a Transie did, and I have heard that a Herc did also.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2009, 21:35:25 »
ReplyReply

Not that I knew of. I know for sure a Transie did, and I have heard that a Herc did also.

Rattler

because they can limit their landing length due to their short-landing capabilities?
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 1 June 2009, 00:24:55 »
ReplyReply

Transall, just about:
Landing distance: 1630 ft (40.1 Tons weight)

Herc, depending on weight, might also make it:

Min landing distance at min landing weight 1150 ft
Min landing distance at max landing weight 2020 ft

Rattler

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 1 June 2009, 00:44:49 »
ReplyReply

...oops, forgot to change IDs...

Well, talking the C130, there once was a STOL program developed (YMC-130 Combat Talon Operation Credible Sport, initially for Iran Hostage Rescue in the ´80s) that could make it airborne and roll out within 150 feet, if and when it worked (disbanded AFAIK, the a/c dubbed YMC 130 H, for some reason the vid has to load fully before displaying)

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 1 June 2009, 11:32:31 »
ReplyReply

IMPRESSIVE video  Geschokt

I have seen JATO test and footage before but not on a Herc...WooooWWWWW  iconclap

Do you want to make a topic on the subject?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44877361 | Sitemap