17 May 2024, 12:00:05 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Lights crossing  (Read 11176 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 4 December 2015, 21:33:46 »
ReplyReply

Lights Crossing, the name for a commemorative march over the newly built bridge at Nijmegen, close to the spot where the 82nd airborne divisions men crossed the Waal in their daring attack on the 20th september 1944.
During that crossing 48 soldiers died.
To commemorate this the bridge has 48 pairs of light posts, 1 pair for every fallen soldier.
These lights are switched on after  the sun goes down, pair by pair.
In total it takes 12 minutes and with every pair switched on two or more veterans walk along.
An initiative by Dutch veterans.
Last september 20th, 71 years after the attack a detachment of the 82nd walked the march with two veterans.
All veterans can subscribe to a list if they want to do this walk.
Subscribing can be done at this site: www.sunsetmarch.nl

Side view of the bridge.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2016, 11:14:23 »
ReplyReply

22-07-16

I was invited to do this memorial march by members of a veterans organisation.
After arriving on the bridge we were welcomed by a Dutch (Libanon) veteran.
He introduced himself, told about his carreer.
He than explained to us what happened here that day on the 20th september of 1944 and why the walk was initiated.
The march starts when the first pair of lights turn on, at the other end of the bridge we halted there and went down to the bank of the Waal river to pay our respect to the deads (honourguard).
A memorial sight has been build there, a block of marble with the names of all casualties.
I invite all readers who come to my country to do this march, every day 1 or 2 veterans do this march.
They are more than happy when people join them.

Some pictures:

Waiting for the first light to turn on.

Marching.

Lights

Memorial stone.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44858956 | Sitemap