18 May 2024, 22:54:53 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: New Russian Main Battle Tank by 2015  (Read 19766 times)
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« on: 18 February 2012, 08:01:22 »
ReplyReply

Russia will complete the first prototype of the new Armata main battle tank by 2013 and begin production and deliveries to the Russian Armed Forces in 2015, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov and the CEO of tank manufacturer Uralvagonzavod Oleg Sienko told Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, the Lenta.ru news portal reported.

Uralvagonzavod and the military are testing the main components of the new tank. No other details were reported. Meanwhile, the Defense Ministry has signed a contract worth six billion rubles with Uralvagonzavod to upgrade 170 T-72 main battle tanks, to be carried out at a specially prepared facility in Omsk, Lenta.ru said.

“The Russian armed forces will have a new main tank with fundamentally new characteristics, fully automated loading and separate crew compartment by 2015,” Lieutenant-General Yuri Kovalenko, former First Deputy Head of the Russian Defense Ministry’s Automotive Armor Directorate said last April.

Kovalenko said work from other projects, including Object 195 and Black Eagle, will be incorporated in Armata's design.

Main Sources:
http://www.armyrecognition.com/february_2012_new_army_military_defence_industry/the_new_russian_main_battle_tank_protype_armata_will_be_completed_by_2013_1702122.html

Good Hunting.

MR
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2012, 20:59:23 »
ReplyReply

I read about it, and what are we doing?
Sell our last Leopards..........
Combined with the budget cuts in Germany and the UK it simply means there are not more than a few 100's of  tanks in the western part of Europe.
If Poetin wants he can be in London within 2 days, we have nothing left to stop him Bedroefd

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2012, 21:57:42 »
ReplyReply

I read about it, and what are we doing?
Sell our last Leopards..........
Combined with the budget cuts in Germany and the UK it simply means there are not more than a few 100's of  tanks in the western part of Europe.
If Poetin wants he can be in London within 2 days, we have nothing left to stop him Bedroefd

1) Every few years we hear about the latest Russian tank and they are always described as the mother of all tanks, the tank to end all tanks and every few years we see a flash looking armoured vehicle roll through Moscow and every few years we see that flash looking armoured vehicle opened up like a tin of sardines on a 3rd world battlefield somewhere.

2) The days of massed tank battles are long over because now we have helicopters, aircraft and man portable AT systems they turn massed armour into scrap metal in minutes and most nations (middle eastern dictators excepted) have grasped the concept that air power trumps armoured power.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2012, 23:11:11 »
ReplyReply

Do you have any idea how many of those armed helicopters the UK, Germany, Holland and the northern countries have?
The Russians have at least 4 to 5 times more choppers.
Same goes for airpower, we have no usable aircraft to stop any armoured advance.
Only the US does and they have withdrawn most if not all the A-10's from Germany........

Trust me, the tactical balance is not in our advantage.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2012, 23:54:21 »
ReplyReply

But you are over looking one major piece of the puzzle, you like the rest of the developed world are flat broke and military's don't make money so until the economies start to pick up again things that don't make money don't get a lot of attention.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2012, 17:26:01 »
ReplyReply

Trust me, the tactical balance is not in our advantage.

Are you expecting Russia to take over Europe still?
They tried that already, didn't work out so well for them and they only got as far as Poland...

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2012, 17:51:25 »
ReplyReply

I would think the tactical balance isn't as bad as you think. For Russia to attack to the English Channel, they would have to go through all their old WP countries. Those are not disarming. They live next to the Russians and have little faith in the Russian Good Neighbor policies.

I think the Russians POV these days is more defensive. Back to the same view they had after their Civil War. Protect Russia first.

That could be wrong but they've got a lot of border issues of their own to deal with I would think long before they would look to invade the west. The west for them now would mean Poland or more likely the Ukraine.

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2012, 22:48:50 »
ReplyReply

The Russian Army is planning to begin modernize its armored and mechanized forces beginning in 2015, fielding a new family of vehicles comprising a new main battle tank, armored infantry fighting vehicles, and various support platforms. The MBT will be based on the new Armata, the prototype is scheduled to enter field trials in 2013, about 10 months ahead of schedule. First Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Sukhorukov said. The new tank is under development at Uralvagonzavod in Omsk. The first deliveries of the tank to the Russian Armed Forces are scheduled for 2015. A total of 2,300 MBTs are expected to be supplied by 2020.

It should be remembered that the Russians are building their fighting forces not only against NATO, but more importantly, to protect their long southern borders with radical Islamic countries that may be gathering military power, and the growing dominance of China in the east. Armored and mechanized forces are key to maintaining military superiority or parity against such threats. The level of sophistication in meeting such threats is not as demanding as meeting the advanced technology fielded by US and NATO forces. According to preliminary reports, the new tank designated T-99 will be less radical and ambitious than the failed ‘Object 195’ or T-95, it will weigh less, therefore, become more agile and will be more affordable, compared to its more ambitious predecessors.

The Russian industry is also developing the Boomerang family of 8×8 wheeled armored vehicles which will gradually replace the current BTR-90. Additionally, the Kurganets-25 tracked armored vehicle provides high degree of commonality with the new Armata tank. The Kurganets-25 will evolve into various models, gradually replacing BMP and BMD and MT-LB and other types of tracked armored platforms.

Primary Source with Pictures:

http://defense-update.com/20120810_russia-plans-to-field-the-t-99-a-radically-new-main-battle-tank-by-2015.html

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44877369 | Sitemap