19 May 2024, 00:46:31 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Apr 2: 3 German Soldiers KIA in Afghanistan  (Read 9811 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 2 April 2010, 21:00:04 »
ReplyReply

Three German soldiers killed in Afghanistan

Published: 2 Apr 10 16:55 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20100402-26289.html
Three German soldiers were killed Friday in a gun battle in the Kunduz region of Afghanistan – the deadliest firefight of the Bundeswehr’s mission in the war-torn country.

Five more soldiers were seriously wounded in the battle in the dangerous district of Chahar Dara, south-west of Kunduz city, a spokesman at the Bundeswehr’s Military Command Centre confirmed.

The firefight against Taliban insurgents was still raging late Friday afternoon German time, with NATO fighters patrolling the air above Kunduz, lending support to the troops still locked in battle on the ground.

The soldiers also suffered a roadside bomb attack.

News magazine Der Spiegel reported that at least eight soldiers had been seriously wounded though the army spokesman confirmed only five.

The German soldiers were attacked from several directions during a patrol, Spiegel reported, citing Afghan police.

When the Germans eventually attempted to move to safer ground, their armoured car was hit by a bomb placed on or next to the road, injuring several soldiers, the magazine reported.

The badly wounded soldiers were taken by helicopter to the military camp in Kunduz.

This was the first deadly fight for German soldiers this year. Prior to the attack, 36 soldiers had been killed in Aghanistan.

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 3 April 2010, 13:44:23 »
ReplyReply

The reaction of the German forces was not much better, apparently, effectively bringing our sides total KIA to 9, another 8 are severely injured:

German soldiers traveling to the scene of a deadly firefight with Taliban insurgents accidentally killed six Afghan troops, the Afghan military said Saturday. Three Germans died in the firefight with the militants.

The German central command confirmed Friday's friendly fire incident, but put the number of Afghan casualties at five. The deaths occurred amid heavy fighting between German troops and militants near the northern city Kunduz.

The German military said German soldiers who were rushing from Kunduz to the scene of the fighting on Friday afternoon encountered two civilian vehicles and demanded that they stop. When they did not, a German armored personnel carrier opened fire on them, the statement said. The vehicles were later found to have been transporting Afghan troops and an investigation is pending, the military added.

Shortly before, German troops had been attacked while on a bridge-building and mine-clearing mission southwest of Kunduz city, formerly a relatively calm area in the north that has lately seen a rising level of insurgent violence.

Kunduz provincial government spokesman Muhboballuh Sayedi said Afghan commanders were meeting on Saturday with coalition forces to discuss the incident.

The Afghan Defense Ministry issued a statement condemning the incident and expressing condolences to families of the dead soldiers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100403/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

We need to get more professional over there it seems, beneath all the whitewash talk we are hearing it seems both situations evolved into disaster through unprofessional handling (though I concede we should not underestimate the Talibans, they have their "kill zones" for ambushes and retreats mined down pat, only thing I am surprised at is that somebody finds that surprising).

All R.I.P, I just hope this/those incidents will make for some true LLs and somebody starts listening.

Rattler
« Last Edit: 5 April 2010, 08:58:49 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 3 April 2010, 15:44:03 »
ReplyReply

Thats sad to hear Bedroefd

The friendly fire incident is not so strange, troops are on high alert after being shot at.
You dont take any risk if your onw life is at stake, the ANF soldiers should have stopped when being asked.

Our soldiers go through a 6 week training course to find those EIDs and to coop with them.
Its very succesfull, given the  very low number of soldiers killed by such attacks.
I cant give you details though in the way we do this.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 3 April 2010, 18:25:40 »
ReplyReply

the German troops were also securing the area for Belgian deminers (?) who accompanied them.
the Belgian soldiers were not involved in the battle.
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 5 April 2010, 04:32:00 »
ReplyReply

Damn shame.
Rest in Peace.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 5 April 2010, 14:17:03 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,

In military technology two letters of editors were printed which makes some interesting observations.
Iran had economic ties with Germany, with German companies delivering all kinds of products throughout the years.
The author noticed that when the German government supported the sanctions back in 2006 against Iran, the pressure from the Taliban also grew against the German soldiers in afghanistan.
I think this specific editor has a valid point there, its no coincident.
Another letter was dealing about some (dangerous?) people waiting to take over power in the US who are openly saying that Iran should be the next to be bombed back to the stone age and in the background are lobbying to gain support for their ideas.
They use arguments like the ones of the first editors article above to prove their rigth.

I hope that human sence will prevail but I am very doubtfull as history has allways showed it will not, specially given the numbers of wars we have fought already for the 10 years of the century we are in today.
A century which some presidents said would bring new hope and freedom (after the fall of the wall) for everybody, a new world order.
For now I only saw more wars, more suffering and a huge rise of anti-islamic and anti-semitic hatred on the other hand, an increase of crime in Europe.
An increase of terrorist activities with deadlier attacks than ever and  more dangerous terrorist groups with advanced weaponry like antiaircraft weapons and long range rockets.
We are heading towards the same situation like we had before the outbreak of world war 2.
Am I negative thinker, no not by nature but the signs are not good.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 5 April 2010, 22:27:01 »
ReplyReply

Stoffel, I baasically agree (I worked myself in Baghdad with good income as a photographer in the early 80s, the husband of my wife sister had an architecture company donw there, well remunerated as well).

OTOH, I think we should pull out and leave it to them (Iraq) they will sort it out is my feeling.

A´stan is another thing, there is no way I can see we can prevail there, my hunch is that top brass will get that also on the long run and make a deal with the Ts. It helps to remember that we did not set out to fight the talibans, but al-quaeda, those ties have long been broken.

Rattler
« Last Edit: 8 April 2010, 23:12:59 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 7 April 2010, 19:56:44 »
ReplyReply

today it was on the news that 2 of the 6 Belgian deminers did fight alongside the German soldiers, 4 sheltered in their DINGO armoured transport.

I also read that the ISAF forces couldn't engage with heavy weapons since the 200(?) taliban fighters were firing from civilian houses.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2010, 21:01:50 »
ReplyReply

And another four bite the dust, nothing known about the Belgians with them, firefight still going on:

Four German soldiers have been killed and several others wounded in a clash in Afghanistan as they came under fire near the northern city of Baghlan, near Kunduz.

More: http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5470163,00.html

This brings to 43 the number of German soldiers killed in Afghanistan since the Bundeswehr's mission there began in 2002. Of those, 26 have been killed in firefights or insurgent attacks.

From what I heard on a BW site it was an IED when they moved to regroup (aka withdrew).

Just FYI,

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2010, 21:31:20 »
ReplyReply

In a sign of how the insurgency has also spread to the once-stable north, four German soldiers were killed and five wounded in fighting Thursday in Baghlan province, according to the Defense Ministry in Berlin. It said fighting broke out after a German Eagle armored vehicle was struck by what was believed to be a rocket around noon (0730 GMT).

Afghan police earlier reported heavy fighting involving Afghan, German and other foreign forces against the Taliban in Baghlan that included airstrikes and heavy weaponry. Provincial police spokesman Habib Rahman said three Afghan policemen were also killed in the fighting.

German Defense Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, who was due to end a visit to Afghanistan on Thursday, was extending his stay in the country, the ministry said.

It was the largest loss of life in a single day for the German contingent in Afghanistan since four soldiers were killed and 29 injured in June 2003 when their convoy was attacked en route to the airport in Kabul.

sources:
http://www.realclearworld.com/news/ap/international/2010/Apr/15/car_bombs_rock_afghan_city_of_kandahar_killing_6.html
http://www.bild.de/BILD/politik/2010/04/15/afghanistan-vier-bundeswehr-soldaten/bei-kunduz-getoetet.html (videoreport)
http://www.tagesschau.de/inland/afghanistan1772.html
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2010, 18:01:00 »
ReplyReply

latest report from the firefight on thursday April 15:

Belgian forces, 15 in total, were called by their German comrades for medical support, they transported the wounded out of the combatzone using AV's.

Since it's political very 'touchy' we get reports that Belgian troops are never engaged in firefights but reports are now coming in that the Belgian soldiers are not so inactive as thought.
When needed they support the German forces with logistic support or firepower.

The Belgian forces in Kunduz exist of 2 groups, one is a demining troop protected by the Germans, this group came under fire in the first shooting. From this group 2 Belgians couldn't make it back to safety and assisted the Germans during several hours using mortars, grenades and firearms

The 2nd group consists of instructors, the OMLT (Operational Mentoring and Liasons Team). They guide and instruct Afghan forces during their operations. It's now reported that during these activities they are often drawn into ambushes and firefights. During these engagements they defend themselves and the Afghans.

So, altough the Belgian mission is not offensive they ARE active.

As said the operation is not offensive but during the last weeks the Afghan army, assisted by Germans and Afghans, are performing a cleaning-up operation, under ISAF commando, ensuring a safe zone.
Therefore it's not a 100% safezone and operation anymore.
Until now we had no casualties, let's hope it stays that way.

But again, every single professional soldier out there is a hero.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44878613 | Sitemap