29 March 2024, 05:47:42 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Omnipresent, currently playing (music) thread...  (Read 475138 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: 27 June 2009, 21:33:48 »
ReplyReply

Well, been researching dead muical geniuses of the last 50 yrs for some hours now, additionally working on my "Contemporary Spanish Popular Music" thread, and in the end I simply could not go on anymore, exhausted.

So, to find peace of mind, back to classical:

Starting out with some light Grieg (Peer Gynt, Hall of the Mountain King) to change chip and get in the mood, then made it to JSB, Toccata and Fuge in D-minor, probably the best meditative piece I ever have heard: The beauty of the sound, combined with the beauty of the (mathematical) architecture and the rhythm patterns created by the 5 voices (what we call arrangement today, Fugue starts about 1:35 into the piece) had me totally captured.

Imagining that the guy simply *improvised* that on a sunday morning in church (that is what "toccata" means) stretches my imagination (and respect) for what the human being is able to achieve to the max...

Enjoy! (best heard when you have time to listen with volume turned up to what your equipment/house/neighbours allow, 5+ brandies or equivalent dose of other drugs and nobody around to disturb you for 12+ minutes)

Rattler

Edvard Grieg, In the Hall of the Mountain King

J.S.B., Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor, BWV 565, Organ

P.S.: And the relation to the dead geniuses? Denis Fedorov! Same thing with same effect, but *on accordeon!!!* R.

Denis Fedorov, Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor, BWV 565, Accordeon

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 28 June 2009, 14:24:39 »
ReplyReply

J.S.B., Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor

love that one  champ
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: 28 June 2009, 22:03:02 »
ReplyReply

As I posted the same thingy (more or less) on another forum, I got lucky and got directed to a band I had not on my radar yet and tht kiind of emply classic music for modern rocky sounds: Epica.

Had heard tht music in many films, but had not related it to any specific band or formation.

Originally Posted by EladBell
this is the pirates of the carribiean OST by Epica

Imperial march(star wars) by epica

In The Hall Of The Mountian King by Epica (watch the bass)

Especially the first and last have something... Smiley

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: 8 July 2009, 00:45:35 »
ReplyReply

The Moon was full (yesterday) and I had a nice diving experience: Under water with full moon you only see B&W, but then you get to see all kinda stuff you will never see during day time. Full Moon in July is my traditional diving day... Smiley ...

While a little late, currently this one is running in the bkgnd while I am writing (coming back to my roots after 2 month of Hard Rock + Spanish Modern Music), fantastic! :

Albert Collins, "The Moon Is Full"

Albert Collins The Moon Is Full

Enjoy,

Rattler

P.S.: Do not recall whether the question came out of this forum or from another where I post in a muci thread, but just FDR: No, I do *not* play guitar, (just - dilettante level -  bass, piano and accordeon here; as bass player at least made it into a blues band - "Summit", no vids available I am afreaid -  in the ´70s in Frankfurt/Germany) but I love listening to the guys who do...Smiley R.

« Last Edit: 8 July 2009, 01:05:44 by Rattler » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 8 July 2009, 05:41:27 »
ReplyReply

I went off and got lost in a new realm, this is what I found.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: 9 July 2009, 01:14:25 »
ReplyReply

Wow, coincidences:

I did some research on Flamenoc this early morning (0430J, we have only game or music shows on telly when I get up) about whom I think is the last true "cantaor" (= Flamenco Singer) alive, and realized he had (as so many of the Flamenco crowd in general, part of the job) done a crossover experiment with Rock in the ´90s.

Result: Truly Hypnotic! Meditative!

(...just FDR, I had listened to it a few weeks ago already, and did not like it.

After now having listened to both the original and other pieces of the singer more than several times - the Andalú he speaks is not easy to understand - , I find suddenly I am addicted:

Enrique Morente captured the essence of the song - probably because he worked so close together with LC for many years and because I first did just interpret him as singer and not as artist...- which he truly *is* ...).

DISCLAIMER: Anyway, CAUTION: Do listen more than 3x at your own risk. You might end up addicted.

On another take (lyrics are a fairly straightforward translation of the original) it is a bit the history of my life, might influence my judgement... just that I started with Berlin and ended up in Mallorca...  whistle

Enrique Morente & Lagartija Nick "Primero Conquistaremos Manhattan..." (First We Take Manhattan...)

first we take manhattan-morente&lagartija nick

Just to contrast why I think the guy is a genious and why I call this a crossover experiment, here what he usually does (this is 20 yrs old, he is now 67, but the intensity and his body languge are the same as today. For those who understand Spanish, you will find an extra: The most beautiful lyrics imaginable; translated excerpt of at 4:10 in the vid: "And you want to compare..." - talking about type and intensity of love, R. - "...a pond with a fountain: Comes the sun, the pond vanishes, the fountain continues to exist..." ). Hypnotic, again:

Enrique Morente, Solea de Albeniz:

Today, much older, the same intensity that I admire (ignore the website reference, it is for his daughter, "Estrella" Morente), here with a Buleria (which I do not really fany, but his face when he sings: sin palabras):

Enrique Morente, Buleria

and the original of the first song, of cause:

Leonard Cohen, "First We Take Manhattan" (gotta click on the YouTube Logo: Insertion to webpages disabled):

Enjoy,

Rattler (0311J now, time for bed, night ends at 0430 latest...)
« Last Edit: 1 July 2010, 23:47:36 by Rattler » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 9 July 2009, 04:36:22 »
ReplyReply

This one really hurts, no pun intended.
I cannot watch this and not shed a tear.
This is a cover of a Trent Reznor song, but Johnny owns it if you ask me.

note: press the YouTube logo to watch the video

« Last Edit: 9 July 2009, 13:03:57 by FACman » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: 9 July 2009, 10:09:03 »
ReplyReply

Never had heard it before, moving.

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 9 July 2009, 10:13:58 »
ReplyReply

last weekend I watched the movie 'Walk the Line' about Johnny Cash...

I definitely need to get some albums from the man in black into my house...
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 9 July 2009, 13:05:14 »
ReplyReply

Here's Trent Reznor's version...

Even Trent was moved to tears by Johnny's version!

« Last Edit: 9 July 2009, 17:14:41 by FACman » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 11 July 2009, 17:51:01 »
ReplyReply

Here's a pair of my favorites by Robbie Robertson...

« Last Edit: 11 July 2009, 18:15:34 by FACman » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 25 July 2009, 22:53:15 »
ReplyReply

Seeing this thread hasn´t prospered for some time, and with FACman around, here is what I am (have been) listening to the last few hours, weekend finally, at 35 degrees and a completely pitch black sky under the milky way:

The Doors - The End (1967)

The Doors - Riders on the storm

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

And, a new VOICE !!! I have discovered recently (though so far she only does covers), French singer Amandine Bourgeois (might as well note that name down, more to come from her in the future, surely):

Idol - When a man loves a woman (Percy Sledge)

Enjoy,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 25 July 2009, 23:30:40 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: 25 July 2009, 23:54:14 »
ReplyReply

This said (post efore), the lady (winner of the "American Idol" equivalent in France) *really* got me intrigued, listen to some of that stuff she performs on, a strange mix of Aretha, Janis, Tina and already a lot of herself...  

toot  toot  toot :   Amandine Bourgeois

(some of those are insertion deactivated, click on the youtube logo)

AN amateur vid of before presenting herself to the contest:
Amandine - What's going on (titre entier)

amandine somebody to love

Duo Amandine Benjamin - Respect

Amandine - Thank You (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Enough for now, plenty much more out there on youTube...

Rattler
« Last Edit: 26 July 2009, 00:01:54 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 27 August 2009, 15:36:25 »
ReplyReply

Aah, great to be able to post in a board w/o double posting infraction rule... Smiley

Sooooo long forgotten, one great band were the Swiss band "Yello" (just the two guys you see in the vid) of the mid ´80s. Really cannot understand that I haven´t been listening to them for some 15 yrs+.... must be Alzheimer....

Probably the beginning of Techno? They were geniouses, way ahead of their times...

As the last one is not obvious:

#1 (with Shirley Bassey, oh god! What a voice!) = "Rhythm Divine" (one of my all time favorites: if you dont like it after 1:30, you´re lost for music Smiley ), #2 0 "Vicious Games), and #3 = "Oh Yeah", all from the "Stella" album (and in much better quality regarding those power basses if coming from CD).

Enjoy!

Yello Featuring Shirley Bassey - The Rhythm Divine

Yello - Vicious Games

Turn Volume UP! for this one (weren´t we all dressed a bit differently in ´85... Smiley )

Rattler
« Last Edit: 27 August 2009, 19:52:11 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 27 August 2009, 19:02:28 »
ReplyReply

great band..they gave 1 live concert and I've got the CD  champ (amongst other CD's I have) (even bought 12" vinyl)

Yello - Bostich

one of their faster songs 'Bostich'

Yello - Of Course I'm Lying

one of my favourites 'Of course I'm lying'
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 27 August 2009, 19:08:26 »
ReplyReply

The Cure: I really didn't care about the make-up or such...

Disintegration is for me one of the best popalbums ever...the texts are great...the songs are masterpieces...the music grabs you under the skin...

The music made my feelings stronger...

The Cure Plainsong

The Cure- Disintegration

The Cure - The Same Deep Water As You - Live in Berlin
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: 2 September 2009, 13:26:20 »
ReplyReply

By chance today alked a bit down memory lane and ....

re-discovered NDW:

- A power version of this all time classic:

Nênå - 99 Luf†ballôns (Live) Germany

- Ideal, "Eiszeit" (turn volume, basses, trebles well up, bad recording):

Das Telefon steht schon seit Jahren still.
Kein Mensch mit dem ich reden will.
Ich seh' im Spiegel mein Gesicht,
Nichts hat mehr Gewicht.

Ich werfe Schatten an die Wand
Un halte zärtlich meine Hand.
Ich red' mit mir und schau' ins Licht,
Mich erreichst du nicht.

In meinem Film bin ich der Star.
Ich komm' auch nur alleine klar.
Panzerschrank aus Diamant,
Kombination unbekannt.

Eiszeit, mit mir beginnt die Eiszeit,
im Labyrinth der Eiszeit, minus neunzig Grad

Eiszeit, mit mir beginnt die Eiszeit,
im Labyrinth der Eiszeit, minus neunzig Grad

Ideal - Eiszeit 1982

Joachim Witt "Der Goldene Reiter":

Joachim Witt -- Goldene Reiter (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

- Ina Deter "Neue Männer braucht das Land"

Ina Deter - Neue Männer braucht das Land 1982 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

- and, (also mucically) the probably best: Peter Schilling "Major Tom" (TURN VOLUME to more believable levels again, else you will loose either your hearing aid or your speakers!!!)

Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Then, mid-80´s, with the unexpected success, all went English again, to impact in the US (but nothing comparabe to the "Vöööööllig Looosgehelöst..." of the German version:

Standing there alone,
the ship is waiting.
All systems are go.
"Are you sure?"
Control is not convinced,
but the computer
has the evidence.
No need to abort.
The countdown starts.

Watching in a trance,
the crew is certain.
Nothing left to chance,
all is working.
Trying to relax
up in the capsule
"Send me up a drink."
jokes Major Tom.
The count goes on...

4, 3, 2, 1
Earth below us
drifting, falling.
Floating weightless
calling, calling home...

Second stage is cut.
We're now in orbit.
Stabilizers up,
runnning perfect.
Starting to collect
requested data.
"What will it affect
when all is done?"
thinks Major Tom.

Back at ground control,
there is a problem.
"Go to rockets full."
Not responding.
"Hello Major Tom.
Are you receiving?
Turn the thrusters on.
We're standing by."
There's no reply.

4, 3, 2, 1
Earth below us
drifting, falling.
Floating weightless
calling, calling home...

Across the stratosphere,
a final message:
"Give my wife my love."
Then nothing more.

Far beneath the ship,
the world is mourning.
They don't realize
he's alive.
No one understands,
but Major Tom sees.
"Now the light commands
this is my home,
I'm coming home."

Earth below us
drifting, falling.
Floating weightless
coming home...
Earth below us
drifting, falling.
Floating weightless
coming, coming
home...
home.....

PETER SCHILLING - Major Tom (Coming Home) (Extended Version) - 1984 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

or, Nena, made #1 in the US:

Nena English version 99 Red Balloons (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

again, nothing compared to the original, to cite a contemporary critic:

A song with a conscience, While lighthearted and playful in tone, the song is ultimately one of cold war tension; a war begins when trigger happy generals send planes to intercept a mass of unidentified objects (balloons) just above the horizon. The conflict escalates as everyone wants a piece of the action, and by the end of the song there is nothing left... no fighters, no balloons, just a world in ruins. "99 Red Balloons," was popular on U.S. radio stations in the early '80s. The English version, however, was less a direct translation of the original than an attempt to appeal to the vast English speaking audience. The group (and Nena is a group, not just singer Nena Kerner) Cleary sounds more at home in their native language, and the German original is ("99 Luftballons") far superior to its English cousin.

Enjoy,

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2 September 2009, 14:23:26 »
ReplyReply

A song with a conscience, While lighthearted and playful in tone, the song is ultimately one of cold war tension; a war begins when trigger happy generals send planes to intercept a mass of unidentified objects (balloons) just above the horizon. The conflict escalates as everyone wants a piece of the action, and by the end of the song there is nothing left... no fighters, no balloons, just a world in ruins. "99 Red Balloons," was popular on U.S. radio stations in the early '80s. The English version, however, was less a direct translation of the original than an attempt to appeal to the vast English speaking audience. The group (and Nena is a group, not just singer Nena Kerner) Cleary sounds more at home in their native language, and the German original is ("99 Luftballons") far superior to its English cousin.

yes indeed, I saw the US version a couple of weeks ago and some very nasty words came into my mouth... :fuck:

that album from Nena is a classic...got it on vinyl

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: 2 September 2009, 16:31:29 »
ReplyReply

me too, all the mentioned above, actually, and a few more.. Smiley

Rattler
« Last Edit: 2 September 2009, 16:36:44 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2 September 2009, 20:01:13 »
ReplyReply

a small video collection all from the same album...it was/is a great album and it doesn't sounds aged...

Nena - Nur geträumt (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Nena Ich bleib im Bett (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Nena Vollmond live 1983 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166095 | Sitemap