29 March 2024, 06:53:25 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Omnipresent, currently playing (music) thread...  (Read 475157 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: 17 February 2011, 18:37:07 »
ReplyReply

100%!

"Made in Japan" was the first *album* I ever bought (my first single was Beatles - "Michelle"), because before the early 70s I only had a (Grundig "Majestic") record player part of a radio/turntable combo as in the picture below - radio and amp all vacuum tubes and needed replacing some off and on - that could just do 78 and 45 (the below 30yrs old ones here wont even faintly know what I am talking about). The great thing was that you could stack singles, and he would play them one after the other (15 IIRC). Also, the radio had SW, and I spent more than one night hidden under the sheets with earphones listening to and transcribimng military morse code transmissions when a kid (and learnt to "hear" up to around 120, which later served me well in the FSK. Still today can hear 80+).

<Quoted Image Removed>

Rattler

got some original Beatles singles... heritage from my oldest brother
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #901 on: 17 February 2011, 22:00:11 »
ReplyReply

Ah LOL, the good old days.
Everybody around the large table in our backroom, my father busy with the Lp's.
And yes we could also stack the records Smiley
Everybody was allowed to pick 1 record and my dad all piled them up on the player Smiley

You brought up some very good memories Matt, thanks.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: 21 February 2011, 18:15:11 »
ReplyReply

no idea if I ever mentioned I'm a BIG Joy Division fan?

Joy Division - She Lost Control

Joy Division - Isolation

cd's in my Amazon basket

yeah, I know... JD are special but... well... they are perfect for black folks like me
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: 22 February 2011, 18:10:40 »
ReplyReply

And again we lost a musician who was on my list with his music for certain dreamy times:

Gary Moore (ex Thin Lizzy) has died today here in Spain, in a hotel of the Costa del Sol at the age of 58, apparently from a heart attack. R.I.P.

Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues in Montreux HQ Live 1990 Legendado

Gary Moore - Walking by myself

Turn your volume a bit down for this one:

BB King / Gary Moore - The Thrill is Gone

Rattler

I know I know

but it's a tribute and I'm still shaken by his death... I AM getting old

Still Got The Blues- Luuk Janssen (15 yrs old)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: 24 February 2011, 23:54:23 »
ReplyReply

Now one of my favorite (but only recently discovered) artists for our latest member whos birthday we missed, (de verdad lamento haberlo olvidado):

Benjamin Escoriza, ex voice of "Radio Tarifa", now in solo shoes, probably the guy who can fill the gap Enrique Morente left: Flamenco cross over, from Marrocan "Beldi" over Argentinian Tango to Spanish Rock, a new star is born (? ... or so I think, if he only once would take those sun glasses off....Smiley )...

First one to animate any "fiesta", "...look to the East!" (mirando pa´l este), video by his uncle..:

VOZ: BENJAMÍN ESCORIZA
COROS: MANUELA ELENA
SAXO SOPRANO Y SAXO TENOR: GAUTAMA DEL CAMPO
CLARINETE: IVAYLO HRISTOV
BAJO: IGNACIO CINTADO
GUITARRAS:JORGE GÓMEZ
LAÚD Y RIG: WAFIR s. GIBRIL
LAÚD: HAMES BITAR
YEMBE: RAFAEL JIMÉNEZ
DARBUCA: ANTONIO ROMERO
BONGÓ: PACO BOTÍA
CAJÓN: JUAN MAYA
PERCUSIÓN MENOR: JOSE LUIS CONGOSTO
VIOLIN: ALEJANDRO ESLOVAK

BENJAMIN ESCORIZA. VIDEOANIMACION "LOS PARRALES" MIRANDO P'L ESTE 2010

And then the hard day next day:

Que pena que nadie se acuerda de esta borrachera...
...mañana no bebo!

Benjamin Escoriza en Vivo "Lamento"

Njoy!

Rattler
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 00:21:01 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: 26 February 2011, 17:50:29 »
ReplyReply

bought my 2nd cd from Cecilia Bartoli today, the 2cd version

http://www.deccaclassics.com/cat/single?PRODUCT_NR=4782249

CECILIA BARTOLI Sposa, non mi conosci Geminiano Giacomelli
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: 27 February 2011, 10:57:45 »
ReplyReply

and something harder and faster

Skinny Puppy - Assimilate
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #907 on: 27 February 2011, 21:46:48 »
ReplyReply

Had not known of htose guys, probably because there are so many in this field...

Here a Spanish example vs. an US group ("Abortos de Satan" vs. "Vibrion"), I cannot make out national differences, to me all dark or black metal sounds more or less the same and is not recognized for musicians abilities...:

death y black metal español vs death y black metal americano

The best known (in this field) band in Spain is probably "Ouija", so I will addd them to the mix, maybe Solideo likes them Smiley

Ouija - Crossing the Seventh Gate (black metal, 1997)

In comparison, I preferred Alice Cooper who started all this in the 70s (at least the words at that time seemed to make some sense to me, and his live shows were like theater):

iConcerts - Alice Cooper - School's Out (live)

Njoy,

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: 28 February 2011, 20:35:16 »
ReplyReply

bought my first Janis cds this weekend

from what I heard this is my favourite

JANIS JOPLIN Ball and Chain at Monterey Pop Festival 1967
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: 1 March 2011, 19:44:30 »
ReplyReply

SACD Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon

Us and Them (Saxophone Center Channel SACD) Pink Floyd
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: 1 March 2011, 20:52:11 »
ReplyReply

U2 - Bass Trap

the long version....
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: 1 March 2011, 21:02:40 »
ReplyReply

Whos the sax with PF? Not Murray Dellow definitely, or is it?

Anyway, change of genre:

(Soft) Goth Metal? German? Yes! It exists, and not bad at all (more exit in the US as in DE): Xandria. Solideo prick up your ears!

Almost in all Uriah Heep (for ppl who remember the 70s) tradition, same epic guitar layout and arrangements but prepped up in what I find a very typical German form of adding choirs going pop, anybody feel free to correct me....

Xandria - Vampire [Lyrics]

The track that made me take note of this band, was on NCIS in the background, some seasons ago...:

Who We Are - Xandria (Lyrics & traduccion)

Xandria-Mermaids [Child Of The Blue] (Lyrics)

Enjoy or not,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 1 March 2011, 21:11:48 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: 2 March 2011, 17:51:37 »
ReplyReply

Whos the sax with PF? Not Murray Dellow definitely, or is it?

Song: Us And Them
By: Pink Floyd
Album: Dark Side of The Moon
Difficulty: Hard
Alto sax – Key: F#

(1:10)
B F# F#
B F# F#, F#, F#
Ab F# Eb F# Ab
Ab.. Eb, Eb
Eb~ Eb~ Eb B
Eb F# Bb C# C#, Bb, F#
E Ab, B
E Ab B eb… C# B f#…
eb C# B F#

(2:05)
f# b f# eb eb, B B, Ab Ab
Bb
Ab B eb eb
Ab B eb Ab

(2:39)
Ab B
Ab B eb C#, B Ab F#
f#… bb f#.. eb eb

(3:37)
Ab B Ab
Ab Bb B
Ab B C# eb, C# B Ab, F#, B, f#…
Ab B C# eb bb, f# f# eb eb B

(5:22)
f#.. eb
B eb f# ab f#
eb f# eb, B
ab b b ab
eb f# ab f# eb
B C# eb C# B Ab F#
Ab Bb Bb Bb C#
Bb C# f#
bb f#, f# eb, eb B, B Ab, F# Ab
Ab B C#
Ab B eb
Ab B C# eb
eb f# ab f# b

chromatic run
b ab f# ab
eb eb f# f# ab b~
b ab ab f# f# eb eb B
Ab B C# C# B C#/B~
ab~ b~
b c# b ab f# ab b
ab f# f# eb eb C# eb f#
Eb F# Ab F#

(7:00)
B C# eb
B C# eb C#
B C# F#

Ab B C#, B C# f#, eb f#
bb bb f#, eb f#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_and_Them_%28song%29
"Us and Them" is Q track from English progressive rock band Pink Floyd's 1973 album, The Dark Side of the Moon. It was written by Richard Wright and Roger Waters and sung by David Gilmour, with harmonies by Wright. It is 7 minutes, 51 seconds in length, making it the longest song on the album. "Us and Them" is rather quiet in tone and dynamics, although the choruses are louder than the verses. It has two saxophone solos in it, one at the beginning and another towards the end of the song. Richard Wright introduces the song with harmonies on his Hammond organ, and put a piano chordal backing and short piano solo afterwards on the arrangement. The tune was originally written on the piano by Richard Wright for the movie Zabriskie Point in 1969 and was titled "The Violent Sequence"

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: 2 March 2011, 17:57:35 »
ReplyReply

Simple Minds:

it started with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empires_and_Dance

Simple Minds - I travel 1980

and it ended with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_the_City_of_Light

SIMPLE MINDS - Book Of Brilliant Things LIVE Ahoy 1985

well, at least for me that were the start and end, in that timeperiod they knew who they were and what they wanted
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: 2 March 2011, 19:26:30 »
ReplyReply

"Us and Them" is Q track from English progressive rock band Pink Floyd's 1973 album, The Dark Side of the Moon. It was written by Richard Wright and Roger Waters and sung by David Gilmour, with harmonies by Wright. It is 7 minutes, 51 seconds in length, making it the longest song on the album. "Us and Them" is rather quiet in tone and dynamics, although the choruses are louder than the verses. It has two saxophone solos in it, one at the beginning and another towards the end of the song. Richard Wright introduces the song with harmonies on his Hammond organ, and put a piano chordal backing and short piano solo afterwards on the arrangement. The tune was originally written on the piano by Richard Wright for the movie Zabriskie Point in 1969 and was titled "The Violent Sequence"

...and who is the sax?

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: 2 March 2011, 20:09:34 »
ReplyReply

...and who is the sax?

Rattler

Pink Floyd - Us and Them

Hi!
    I'm new to this forum, but definitly not new to the sax!!
    I play the tenor and am obsessed with the rock sax!
    My idol is Dick Parry, at the moment, who played the sax for Pink Floyd. He did a wonderful job with his solos and everything!!

Here's my question:
    If you know where i could get (buy or download or anything) the sheet music for the tenor saxophone for the album 'dark side of the moon' by 'pink floyd' with the song ' us and them' could you please tell me ?

if you already have it, and are willing to share it, could you send it to me ?

thanks for any help

« Last Edit: 2 March 2011, 20:19:49 by Koen » Logged
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #916 on: 2 March 2011, 21:02:31 »
ReplyReply

Pink Floyd - Us and Them

Hi!
    I'm new to this forum, but definitly not new to the sax!!
    I play the tenor and am obsessed with the rock sax!
    My idol is Dick Parry, at the moment, who played the sax for Pink Floyd. He did a wonderful job with his solos and everything!!

Thanks Koen! JFTR, it is Dick Perry, and I asked because also Murray Dellow played with PF, but this was clearly not his sound in this track.

Ratler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #917 on: 5 March 2011, 00:52:09 »
ReplyReply

With reference to a nice song I had posted here some time ago, ran into another version: I like it, but it sure is different. Turn well up to listen.

Rattler

Shiny Toy Guns, "Coming Home", w Lyrics

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: 5 March 2011, 10:10:19 »
ReplyReply

I'm a fan of Oasis: can listen to a cd several times in a row

They are timeless, one moment I feel like I'm in the 60s and 1 song later they are very 21st century

Oasis - I'm Outta Time - Live Rehearsal Gig London 2008
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #919 on: 6 March 2011, 08:02:00 »
ReplyReply

this time I want to present the interested audience with an instrument you probably havent see or heard before, the Txalaparta, probably the only instrument played by two musicians as standard:

An ancient military and civil communications device used in the mountains of the Basque land has it been used as music instrument for several centuries. Almost extinct in the 1950s it is going through a great revival currently.

Looks seasy to play at first glance, but apart from needing a certain well developed rhytmic feeling there are certain rules and traditions to be followed between the two players: Tow basic beats, one binary and the other three legged, one player plays the basic rhythm, the other one "breaks" it.

Here two nice pieces (though I did not find the "best" of this great concert to show how the Txalaparta is virtuously handled by the two girls, those two pieces are rather using it in a percussion function and the "battle" of the musicians does not come to show fully) by composer and pianist Tomas San Miguel,

Enjoy!

Marlon Klein & Tomas S.Miguel & Txalaparta - Sambaparta

Tomas San Miguel + txalaparta: sorginetxe

Rattler

Pages:  1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166713 | Sitemap