29 March 2024, 06:48:22 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Omnipresent, currently playing (music) thread...  (Read 475155 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: 14 December 2010, 20:08:47 »
ReplyReply

uploaded a new video to my music channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/KoensMusicChannel

this is Triggerfinger, it's a Belgian band I never heard of before but their new album is special!

Triggerfinger - All this dancin' around
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #801 on: 15 December 2010, 21:11:05 »
ReplyReply

Interesting, Koen!

Here, meanwhile, everybody went crazy about the unexpected passing away of Enrique Morente.

Were it around 5000 yesterday in the capilla ardiente in Madrid that passed the coffin, today he was fared well by around 100.000 on the streets of Granada on his way to the Alhambra were he will be rest.

His daughter, Estrella Morente, sang a very emotional good-bye to him in fornt of an audience of around 5.000 that held everybody with a name in Flamenco, jazz, music and art in general and politics (yes, politicians too: No way can you leave out a foto!!).

I have added the link (in the google translation - dont trust it too much: The phrase "...Estrella Morente has been thrown in the coffin in a funeral installed at the Teatro Isabel la Católica. His whole family has followed..." does neither represent the original text and of course even less the events: It means to say that after the farewell song she flung herself on top of the coffin, followed by other family mourners).

The video (Habanera Imposible) is on the right side of the page, not instantly obvious:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=es&ie=UTF-8&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Estrella/Morente/despide/padre/emocionado/cante/elpepucul/20101215elpepucul_2/Tes&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhjDsOWgm_y5NlTLqTqlO3MHT5Af1A

Rattler

P.S: Reportedly Morentes last words, addressing his Iranian surgeon, were: "You people got to make an end to this war in Afghanistan". R.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2010, 21:26:03 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 16 December 2010, 17:37:55 »
ReplyReply

His daughter, Estrella Morente

also a professional singer Matt?

do you enjoy Buena Vista Social Club? I got some albums on my PC and I like it but the fact that I don't understand the lyrics at all makes it hard to get into it  Onbeslist

this must be familiar, I try to post 'different' music on my channel KMC

Klaus Doldinger - Erinnerung

and a brilliant song, certainly in my list of best singles

The Smiths - How soon is now

I am the son
and the heir
of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does

I am the son
and the heir
of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and the heir
of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
how can you say

There's a club if you'd like to go
you could meet somebody who really loves you
so you go, and you stand on your own
and you leave on your own
and you go home, and you cry
and you want to die

When you say it's gonna happen "now"
well, when exactly do you mean?
see I've already waited too long
and all my hope is gone

You shut your mouth
how can you say

« Last Edit: 16 December 2010, 17:43:18 by Koen » Logged
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 18 December 2010, 04:38:39 »
ReplyReply

The music world has lost another legend...RIP...Captain!

Captain Beefheart - Bat Chain Puller

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - I'm Glad

Captain Beefheart - Yellow Brick Road

For those unfamiliar, he was a friend/protege of Frank Zappa. Very avante garde, not given to following the track to commercial success.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #804 on: 18 December 2010, 12:15:38 »
ReplyReply

The music world has lost another legend...RIP...Captain! -snip-
For those unfamiliar, he was a friend/protege of Frank Zappa. Very avante garde, not given to following the track to commercial success.

Boy, the impacts sure are coming closer....!

JFTR, I never have been a big follower of Capatain Beefheart (though I went to two or three of his concerts when he still was with the original Magic Band crew), despite being quite open for all kinds of music I never could really warm to this personality except maybe the straightforward rock stuff (IIRC CB was just one of his personalities, he was a painter and theatre artist as well under different personalities, e.g.: "Don Glenn" in theatre, and "Don van Vliet" in the paint art business).

Still, I am the first to recognize that he was one part of the joint forces to opening my musical horizons, and it is a pity he should have gone so soon...

The parts of his music I can cope with are more along this road (early 80s):

Captain Beefheart - Dirty Blue Gene

Rattler
« Last Edit: 18 December 2010, 21:20:06 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #805 on: 18 December 2010, 13:08:12 »
ReplyReply

This is for Koen: I could have included this in my previous answer to FACMan, but as it is complex and different from the music discussed there, a double post to answer you seperately:

His daughter, Estrella Morente

also a professional singer Matt?

Yes, and quite so: All Flamenco is traditionally passed in the (almost 90%+ gypsie) family, from father to son and so on, making for nice and interesting comparisons of the generations.

This is the case also with Estrella Morente, "apple of his eye" of his father, and, while she is not innovative in any way I knew of, she sure made a great and extremely professional companion to her father and his projects, and also to her uncle´s (Paco Morente) and her grandfathers rather traditional take.  

In all those discussions it is important to understand that "Flamenco" is not just a music genre, but a form of living and thinking (hence all the bank "attacks" now with Flamenco, etc) and lyrics, dance, team work and many other factors are determinative when deciding what is good and what is not.

Here now some stuff of Estrella, first with her father (though you have heard her already in the videos I posted: The female voice in the background of both "City without sleep" and "Nana del Oriente" is hers), and then solo DEC 2006. Koen will LOVE those tunes! They are a nice mix of traditional and commercialized flamenco, and on top the lady is not really extremely ugly... (the saying in Flamenco goes - as it wants to appeal to all senses - : The eye enjoys also...):

This first video has them both, and is actually the video that made me take note of both of them:

Some ten years ago, early in the morning at 0400, having fallen asleep in a movie earlier that night in front of the TV, I suddenly awoke to this soft and amazing song in our morning "Antena 3" music program here: Even today it is still a song that makes my eyes wet because of how the female and the male voice literally entwine so unexpectedly and sweet to describe that night of passion and genteelness (and I vividly remember my first thought when watching it: "What an ugly guy to go with such a beauty!", but I reversed this opinion about 2 minutes later, when I realized that I was listening to a true "maestro"...). How great to have been granted to live such a family feeling....!:

As the video (and Enrique at the end) says: "Olé! las mujeres guapas!" (Hail (to) all beautiful women!), and, from my POV, to the not so beautiful also!:

Enrique y Estrella Tangos

The solo ("Volveré" = "I will be coming back", a song about how we always come back to our first love after all mistreatement we have lived/suffered (?), and a "Thank You" to her family, expressed verbally by naming all of them before the song starts):

Estrella morente - Volveré

Do you enjoy Buena Vista Social Club? I got some albums on my PC and I like it but the fact that I don't understand the lyrics at all makes it hard to get into it  Onbeslist

Of course I like and enjoy them, very much so, and I actually have been one of the three photographers assigned to the band when they made their first German tour in 2000 (or 2001?) -  when nobody knew them well yet, the movie just having aired.

What I remember best is that they did not want wine, but "Whisky!" at the dinners organized for them in my home town during that tour...  Grijns We had (it was a weekend) to reccur all bars around to provide the necessary number of bottles of Whiskey, and the ice cubes to go along... Smiley

Many of their songs are "traditional" songs here in Spain also, and everybody knows and sings them (as I learned from my ex wife Joana after the tour), and with her help I got to understand a few of them better, let me share one of my translations of one of the songs I like best - sorry, but I am a romantic the way they dont make them anymore today -, "Aquellos ojos verdes" (= "Those Green Eyes"):

Aquellos ojos verdes / Those green eyes
de mirada serena / of this sincere look
dejaron en mi alma / left in my soul
eterna fe de amar. / an everlasting belief in love.
Anhelos de caricias, / Yearning for touches
de besos y ternuras / kisses and tenderness
de todas las dulzuras / all those sweetnesses
que han podido brindar. / that one can toast to.

Aquellos ojos verdes / Those green eyes
serenos como un lago / clear as a lake
en cuyas quietas aguas / in whose quiet waters
un día me miré. / one day I saw myself (reflected).
No saben la tristeza / You cannot know the sadness
que en mi alma dejaron / that in my soul they left...
aquellos ojos verdes que / ...those green eyes that
nunca olvidaré / I will never forget

Wonderful Ibrahim Ferrer - Aquellos Ojos Verdes

Rattler
« Last Edit: 18 December 2010, 21:47:37 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #806 on: 18 December 2010, 22:57:43 »
ReplyReply

...and a brilliant song, certainly in my list of best singles

Sorry, Koen, but it was gone (Sony again) before we even had a chance to listen to it....

My advice stands: DL those vids you want to share (Koen seems to have found a way for PCs to do so: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/wat-tech-info/how-to-download-a-youtube-video/), host them at WaT (disk space is not that expensive and can easily be taken care of with the donations we have atm) so we dont lose 80% over time of the great stuff we have shared here. Facmans thread of his ToD, for example, is quite in shambles by now with half the vids killed, we should not let that happen (and are safe from Copyright issues as we are sharing privately).

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: 19 December 2010, 10:25:37 »
ReplyReply

...and a brilliant song, certainly in my list of best singles

Sorry, Koen, but it was gone (Sony again) before we even had a chance to listen to it....

My advice stands: DL those vids you want to share (Koen seems to have found a way for PCs to do so: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/wat-tech-info/how-to-download-a-youtube-video/), host them at WaT (disk space is not that expensive and can easily be taken care of with the donations we have atm) so we dont lose 80% over time of the great stuff we have shared here. Facmans thread of his ToD, for example, is quite in shambles by now with half the vids killed, we should not let that happen (and are safe from Copyright issues as we are sharing privately).
Rattler

yes, it got blocked in some countries, don't understand it, people don't earn any money from it! and showing it on Youtube can only lift sales...

the video is too big to upload.... I convert them into HD before I put them on my MusicChannel
I don't download my videos but use 'Windows Live Moviemaker' to make videos from mp3's on my PC (any chance we could upload/post mp3's with additional software installed?)

and then solo DEC 2006. Koen will LOVE those tunes!

I loved her solo-singing with guitar, the first one with her father is not so my thing due to more-than-one voice singing. It ain't bad but I prefer solo singing. And yes, the eyes also get a treat  hihi
« Last Edit: 19 December 2010, 10:39:33 by Koen » Logged
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #808 on: 19 December 2010, 15:27:03 »
ReplyReply

And now for something completely different:

An (ironic a bit Smiley ) video about the Russian airborne Troops (VDV) to the song "VDV" of Alexander Buinov.

Interestingly, while this kind of songs (and Russian Armed Forces Rock Bands) seem to be quite normal over there (everybody plays in uniform !?), I could not find anything about e.g. Rock Bands formed of German Armed Forces members...? Of course, we have our BW Big Band, but that is it, nobody else makes music in uniform...

VDV By SHARK ATTACK

And another one to show this tradition, this a hommage to General Vasily Magelov, long time comander of the VDV:

(Cyrrilic written title hence not displayed well)

Even singer/songwriters perform in uniform quite normally:

(Cyrrilic written title hence not displayed well)

Rattler

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: 19 December 2010, 18:14:55 »
ReplyReply

Whooot!  Brede lach
I once worked with a Soviet era Marine after he came to the US, we got along admirably, as brother Marines are likely to do in this world. I wonder if the fellow in the 1st vid is actually in the Marines?

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: 19 December 2010, 22:30:20 »
ReplyReply

Whooot!  Brede lach
I once worked with a Soviet era Marine after he came to the US, we got along admirably, as brother Marines are likely to do in this world. I wonder if the fellow in the 1st vid is actually in the Marines?

Boy, how I know this!

As journo I have met ex mil guys from many different (and even former "enemy") nations, and always got along extremely well, I guess its the sucking of the same tit that makes us kind of "family" (goes also with police and fire fighters guys to some extent).

As for the guy in the vid being a Marine, I doubt it, as his uniform is VDV (By our forum software distorted cyrilic charcters here meaning "Vozdushno Desantnye Voyska" = Airborne Assault Forces, EDIT by TA), here the original (song) and much critizized (as the guy is a pop star and not a soldier, and the text has been assumed "embarrasing" for a recuitment vid) video (for me personally thats a-ok, he seems to like them quite a lot and he got the face for a good ad Smiley ):

Alexander Buinov - VDV (Vozdushno Desantnye Voyska)

Where is Solideo when we need him? About time to become a "star" with a song about the "Caballeros Legionarios"... Smiley

Nasdrovje!

Rattler

« Last Edit: 19 December 2010, 23:51:22 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: 20 December 2010, 23:39:03 »
ReplyReply

Uuufff.... Looking at the vids again tonight I realize that the guy of vid 2 is *suspiciously very* much alike to the Singer/songwriter guy (vid 3), this definitely was not intended but might be a hint to that also in the Russian Forces rock bands are rather thinly seeded?

Now for something completely different again (my urge to post intitiated by a guest we have here who is from my home town and knows the guys - yes they are the bald guys you wont want to take up on the offer of a beer... Smiley - and with a nice try of cammoing themselves under wool hats). I am sure I posted this before, but it is enough fun to post it again: "The Joint Of No Return!!"

The *true* story of Jamaican Space Travel, revealed exclusively here. OK, so there is one Bavarian in this song - the guy in the middle, actually the "Star", Mr. Mittermeier - , thats true, but NOTE he cannot even sing in lip sync to the playback...  hihi Says it alll!! Hessia 1, Bavaria 0, star or not...!):

Ragga Moon Walk (Ah! Those subversive anarchic Hessian Germans - "Badesalz" - again!)

Enjoy, or not,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 21 December 2010, 00:01:50 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #812 on: 21 December 2010, 01:04:23 »
ReplyReply

For our (still anonymous and not feeling too well under mil law Smiley ) guest , and for FACMan (your Quicksilver posts triggered my search for this sound I remembered as typically SF), a band I had heard in the 70s, but forgotten, and I think theyre worth to be remembered;

Sopwith Camel - You always tell me baby, Maybe in a dream

Rattler
« Last Edit: 21 December 2010, 01:16:01 by Rattler » Logged

TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: 23 December 2010, 23:29:48 »
ReplyReply

I am as agnostic and unreligious as they come (as by now all on this forum should have captured) but this song - with all its irony -, still, makes me reflect about some of the ppl I know and love, wondering: "...does HE/SHE *really* exist, could it be that the guy/lady I am just looking at is HIM/HER?"

This occurs to me sometimes, usually because I am always and then again left open mouthed to having had the possibility to live the luck to see and receive what positive force some (ordinary) people sometimes bring to bear in this basically evil world, and on where and when I/you would least expect it to happen...

This said and felt, lets speculate: Assuming for a sec that the "others" (religious) might in the end be right: What if God *really* was one of us, living with us, really, like in ancient Egypt/Greece legends? Wandering beneath us, interacting with our lives in good/bad manner according to his liking, without we even realizing? Could we even know? Would we suspect? What about the ppl you know that fit this scheme?

Take the guy you never took serious, who suddenly apparently is working miracles with and for others? The slob around who makes you cringe because he is so weird, but at one point you suddenly realize that even with all your PC neatness you never will even remotely reach his level of humanity? Experiencing such an encounter, dont you ask yourself, as myself: Could it be HIM, around to test, laugh, check? Would it be personal?

If so, what would be your question to him, if you had just one left? Would you ask it?

Dedicated to the first person I ran into on this island, Migui: Seriously, you got as close as could be for me. Long live the universal idea of the "Mitj i Mitj" (Half and Half) that you envisioned, how I would wish to just sit there with you and another GT and share one more of those unique and almost unreal sunsets that led to so much mutual understanding about the rights and wrongs, the insignificant and the important, life and the universe...!

One of Us

TA

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: 24 December 2010, 01:43:23 »
ReplyReply

I have but one question for him/her, it is the same one I asked in my foxhole in Vietnam, which has yet to be answered. "What the fuck are you doing on this planet allowing this kind of evil to exist?" And if I ever get the answer, and it has something to do with us being the cause, due to our 'free will', Im going to kick him in the ass for being such a dim wit.

TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #815 on: 24 December 2010, 01:56:40 »
ReplyReply

Are you sure you would be asking the same new testament god that I would ask my question to?

As agnostic I can hardly imagine any supposedly christian god sending ppl to war and even less allowing them to commit atrocities, when according to the Bible his transcendent and life changing force lies just in the opposite COA.

OTOH, I have never understood in depth the significance of the contradictions of the "early" (old testament) and the "later" and three-phasic (new testament) god, but I can go along with latter and wonder sometimes whether I just crossed him on the street.

TA

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 24 December 2010, 14:55:20 »
ReplyReply

Are you sure you would be asking the same new testament god that I would ask my question to?

It actually doesn't matter which deity I get to grill for the mess created and allowed to get even worse as time went by. Im kinda agnostic as well, but if there is a honcho in charge, have I got some prime verbiage to hand him/her.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #817 on: 24 December 2010, 20:39:58 »
ReplyReply

It actually doesn't matter which deity I get to grill for the mess created and allowed to get even worse as time went by. Im kinda agnostic as well, but if there is a honcho in charge, have I got some prime verbiage to hand him/her.

Dont really want to hijack the thread (I will post a song, just to keep on track, just dont know yet which, lets see where my post leads me), but I hear bitterness from your post and think I want to reply:

Maybe we differ on takes here, and I guess its a cultural thing (as most of us Germans have accepted forever and all generations our "collective guilt" following protestant Martin Niemöllers take on it we might think/belive different than other nations citizens), but I keep telling a German joke about this complex and challenging question, and usually it hits home with any culture, the joke goes more or less along the following lines (abbreviated version here):

Small village at the coast in Germany and a storm flood is announced. Villagers gather in the church, and the pastor (we are protestants up there) holds his sermon and asks for relief.

Suddenly, the boss of the village fire fighters comes in and advises: "Folks, the flood is now only 30 minutes out, it will bring a water level raise of around 10 metres, my recommendation is to abondon village and get the hell out of here".

People leave, but the pastor stays. Re-alerted by the firefighter he answers something along: "Son, dont you worry about me, I am a faithful servant to God, and I have no doubt that he will hold his hand over me and protect me".

The fire fighter shrugs, and leaves. About 30 minutes later, now by boat and on a routine check he turns up in the church again, sees the pastor up to the hip in the water and repeats his urgent plea to leave with him. Still, he gets the same reply.

Now, another half hour later they come back to the church and see that the pastor is just barely holding out with his nose above the raising water level and, now really urgently, try to convince him to abandon, just to be answered on the same line: "Dont you worry, God will protect me".

Anoterh 5 minutes go by, the pastor drowns, as was previsible. Approaching pearly gates he is steaming with anger, and when he gets first sight of God he shouts at him: "Fuck, you deceived me! How could you let this happen? I was your true servant for 50 years, always trusting you to get everything straightened out and protecting me and us believers, and, after all this, you really got the guts to let me drown??!!"

God gives him a serene look and answers: "I really dont have the faintest clue what you are complaining about:  Look, I sent in the fire fighters to fetch you THREE times, aint that enough?"

-----

This joke has some profoundness, we are so fast to charge god with evil things happening here ("...deity I get to grill for the mess created..."), when it is actually *we* who would have the oportunity and the means to avoid the mess, but  so often we dont.

From my POV, if this happens, it is not really automatically gods fault (if we believe in that the bible holds his words): He told us quite clearly what to do, he gave us the means to do it, but if we dont and live disasters and atrocities or go to war, whos fault is it? It is we who are responsible for what happens around us (human made), not god. I think this goes both for agnostics and believers.

OK, this said, now I have to post a song... Lets go with a band I dont know, but a song I know:

MxPx - Responsibility

Rattler
« Last Edit: 24 December 2010, 21:03:53 by Rattler » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 24 December 2010, 22:22:12 »
ReplyReply

Well the firefighters never showed up in the Nam...

My take on this is, an all loving , omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent God, should have his shit together well enough to not make innocents suffer. Failing that, a boot in the ass is his/her due. You are of course correct in that it is man's evil that creates the hell on earth we live in, but a hand from the Boss looks to be in order, but he is absent without leave.

Hence my desire to grill him/her.

I'll let Harry say it...

Harry Nilsson - You're Breakin' My Heart

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #819 on: 25 December 2010, 14:29:59 »
ReplyReply

Driving home the other night, this started playing on the radio.  And we sang out loud to it.  I can see this will hold a speical memory for us, especially,   as we will all be going our separate ways soon....  

Free - Zac Brown

Zac Brown Band - Free (Extended Version)

EDITED
by TechAdmin because the posted video had been deleted.

Pages:  1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166650 | Sitemap