18 May 2024, 19:07:00 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Omnipresent, currently playing (music) thread...  (Read 489886 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: 8 February 2010, 19:37:47 »
ReplyReply

listening to and thinking of FacMan....

Jefferson Airplane -White Rabbit-

The Mamas & The Papas - Monday Monday
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: 9 February 2010, 22:23:33 »
ReplyReply

No special reason, just stumbled over this long forgotten piece, and I remember I liked it a lot at the time...

Cultured Pearls - Just To Let You Know

Enjoy,

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: 12 February 2010, 15:06:03 »
ReplyReply

Thanks Koen...

here's a few for how I feel this day...

Enigma WHY

ENIGMA - INVISIBLE LOVE

native american the song of wolf

Wolf song (Celtic version)
« Last Edit: 12 February 2010, 15:24:07 by FACman » Logged

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: 12 February 2010, 23:30:38 »
ReplyReply

Jody, what nice pictures and songs! Here is to you, your Koda in the better hunting grounds, and your family!

This is your Song

Rattler
« Last Edit: 12 February 2010, 23:41:04 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: 14 February 2010, 21:03:55 »
ReplyReply

Ay, the Blues!

We hear it so often from the USA, where it originated, but there are some great European "Bluesers" as well (like Raimundo "Guitar God" Amador, whom I have featured earlier in this thread), here one of my favorite Italian Blues guitar player, Rudy Rotta, always a bit on the funky side:

Rudy Rotta - Steps

And , with Paolo Camilleri (I just love that light, singing guitar! And, Molly Duncan at the sax, without comments of cause, lost nothing since his "Average White Band" times... Smiley ):

BLUES & BEYOND SESSION Rudy Rotta zu Gast bei Paul Camilleri

Enjoy,

Rattler

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 21:15:23 by Rattler » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: 15 February 2010, 14:49:52 »
ReplyReply

Another Scotch band I appreciate...

Silly Wizard

Silly Wizard: The Queen of Argyll

SILLY WIZARD - DONALD MC GILLAVRY

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: 16 February 2010, 22:05:00 »
ReplyReply

Jody, Fan. Tas. Tic!

Not Scottish, but a bit along the same line, the old John Barleycorn legend:

Countless versions of this song exist. A version of the song is included in the Bannatyne Manuscript of 1568, and English broadside versions from the 17th century are common. Robert Burns published his own version in 1782, and modern versions abound.

Myself, I first heard it by Stevie Winwood with "Traffic", and this is the version I till today cherish, Recorded July 16th, 1970 at "Bio Vakantieoord", Bergen Aan Zee, for the album of the same name. Here sub version of this one at the live gig of Steve Winwood 1972 in Santa Monica:

Traffic - John Barleycorn

Enjoy,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 16 February 2010, 22:12:35 by Rattler » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: 18 February 2010, 14:48:07 »
ReplyReply

Aye, that one is a classic Matt!

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: 18 February 2010, 17:27:49 »
ReplyReply

Got more for you:

Does anybody else except FACMan and myself recall the "hammond organ wizard" Brian Auger?

Well, to refresh your memory (and as he is *not* dead and gone yet), here two pieces, one classic with Julie Driscoll (after working with Long John Baldry and Rod Stewart), the other fairly recent with some of the better musicians I know: Billy Cobham (my choice for best drummer ever) and "Jazz Fusion Guitar God" Frank Gambale, all musicians we won´t see (hear) around too much longer...:

Trinity (Julie Driscoll - also not dead´n gone, now Julie Tippets - & Brian Auger, 1968):
Road to Cairo

Julie Tippets (married Keith Tippetts in the end) has a well going solo career and now looks like this:

Today, Brian Auger does some of the best Jazzrock I know, here 2007 (has lost a bit physically as we oldies all Smiley ), gotta like Jazzrock probably to evaluate the kind of evolution he has completed, on the hammond in a great groovy piece from Billy Cobham´s "Spectrum" DRUM-N-VOICE-LIVE-TOUR 2007, give it a minute or so if you are not used to Jazz Fusion (I see the piece - w/o name, or if indeed w/, then "Walking in the Shadow" - as a hommage to the dead musical geniouses, as it quotes Zappa, Joe Zawinul from Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra and others in kind of a medley, listen for yourself):
BILLY COBHAM - GAMBALE - BRIAN AUGER & NOVECENTO "LIVE"

BTW, anybody knows the lady on the bass? Spectacular, great, lighthanded and expressionist, but I won´t for the death of my family be able to recall her name...

Enjoy,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 18 February 2010, 18:11:42 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: 18 February 2010, 18:12:34 »
ReplyReply

OK, last question solved: Rossana Nicolosi: http://www.megabass.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=46

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: 3 March 2010, 18:08:37 »
ReplyReply

I love that song,  a true classic.

Rod Stewart -  The same old song:
Singing legend Rod Stewart performs the soul classic 'It's The Same Old Song' on GMTV

And now, that he is 65, here some from his ´60th birthdays gala (wow, seems I saw the gala just yesterday, these really wer 5 yrs ??), sooooo beautiful!...:

The way you look tonight

This one, a bit later in the gala (he had long disposed of the butterfly tie):
What a Wonderful World - Rod Stewart

Enjoy,

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: 9 March 2010, 23:03:22 »
ReplyReply

As our regulars have told me the thread is getting thin, here one of my favorite Dutch modern bands, De Phazz: They do everything, all styles, usually along nice and laid back dance grooves.

De Phazz - Smooth Jazz Cafe Vol.5 - 10 - You Stayed (2003)

Enjoy,

Rattler

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: 10 March 2010, 00:29:28 »
ReplyReply

Well I am going through a nostalgia phase and have been listening to some 1970s and 1980s New Zealand music, I think this would have have to rate as the best local band of the period (although by todays standards they are a little eccentric).

Split Enz:

History Never Repeats...
Split Enz - History Never Repeats

I See Red (Probably their biggest hit locally)

Split Enz - I See Red

Interestingly enough Pearl Jam have done covers of a number of their songs recently.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: 10 March 2010, 09:44:34 »
ReplyReply

Interesting, never had heard of them...

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: 10 March 2010, 13:10:29 »
ReplyReply

Well this track made it to number 1 in New Zealand, Australia and apparently Canada.

Split Enz - I Got You

The band lasted about 14 years (1970-1984ish) and then split with about half of them going on to form "Crowded House" which did fairly well internationally.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: 15 March 2010, 01:30:08 »
ReplyReply

Japanese Music

(Hitomi Shimatani - Destiny ~ Taiyou No Hana)(PV)(MV)(HQ) "Huh???" - " Huh??"

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: 15 March 2010, 05:31:11 »
ReplyReply

Nice! I had recently posted some Japanese Fusion also, Ke-isho Ohno, with his band JK-Soul he melts traditional - he is a master of the three string Shamisen (Huh?) - music with modern funky jazz, a fusion type and an instrument our distiguhished members might not have heard about yet:

[PV] Keisho Ohno(Huh??) with SHOGUN?SAMURAI

Enjoy, more of him on youtube, the piece I like best is "Yoake"

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: 17 March 2010, 22:15:56 »
ReplyReply

I got snubbed in another forum for my musical preferences, gotta vent off my irate feelings, so I will display some of the songs I had no chance to post under the rules there here instead:

Flamenco and Blues Fusion by some of the greatest guitar players the planet has seen:

Brothers Amador at it (at 15 and 17 yrs old, probably 1978, at least after Francos death, "negro music" was considered "un-spanish" before and forbidden):

Raimundo y Ramón Amador playing a Flamenco Blues

And, for contrast: Raimundo Amador (the younger guy to the left in the vid before) 30+ yrs later, 2010; old fart, but still almost perfect in melting Blues and Flamenco to somethin bigger - lower in volume, so you will have to turn up a bit (as the presenter of the program, Andreu Buenafuente, states after the song: "If my producer tells me again that music and tv don´t mix I will have him listen to this take 42 times in a row".... Smiley ).

Raimundo Amador El Blues de los niños

Enjoy,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 17 March 2010, 22:44:27 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: 19 March 2010, 02:54:31 »
ReplyReply

For Jilly:

Did you folks know the gypsies came from India?

Around the Ninth Century, for some unknown reasons, thousands of inhabitants of the north-western part of India began to emigrate west. They set out from the territories presently occupied by the Punjab and Pakistan. In Persia they split, and one part went via Palestine, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Morocco and through the Gibraltar Strait, finally arriving, already known as Gypsies, in the south of Moorish Spain. In this region, known as Al-Andalus (today: Andalucia), various cultures co-existed for hundreds of years. It was the only place where Gypsies, Jews, Catholic's and Muslims lived together for a long time. Each group had its own customs, music and instruments. After many years, in the beginning of the 19th Century, due to mutual influences and the mingling of all these elements, a mysterious and expressive type of music emerged. Today we know it as Flamenco.

Even with(out) bass speakers that don´t work anymore I can hear that the following is great fusion stuff, India and Andalucia melting into something interesting and bigger, just like Blues and Flamenco, all of them based on the 12 beat compass: Here a rumba mixing India and Spain, based on Flamenco guitar, sitar, tabla and cajón:

From http://www.psychefolk.com/Indialuca.html
The 12 beat rhythm as one of the oldest rhythms in Indian music exisst also in flamenco (and is dominant, R.). While the disciplined Indian raga starts and ends with the recognisable beat with some stretched improvisation, flamenco puts in some extra rhythmical surprises. It also explaines how seguiryias, bulerías, tarantas, soleares or tangos are based upon the ragas bhairavi, bhairav or basant mukhari, and how the melismata and portamento used in Indian music are very close to flamenco but in a more complicated way, and with a wider range. Similarities with the flamenco dance can be found in the kathak style from the north of India. (Small edits to the text and highlighting by me R.)

Indialucia - rumba

Enjoy,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 19 March 2010, 03:27:23 by Rattler » Logged

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: 19 March 2010, 04:50:01 »
ReplyReply

I got snubbed in another forum for my musical preferences, gotta vent off my irate feelings, so I will display some of the songs I had no chance to post under the rules there here instead:

Enjoy,

Rattler

Rattler, please don't over-dramatize.   You were not snubbed on my fourm at all.  The category you chose was nice, for the 8 song game.  But no one knew a single song in that category,  So it brought the game to a halt,  I had to change the the category, or it would have been here for ever.  I'm so sorry that you are hurt over this,  it was not my intention, and I thought you would understand,  I would do the same if anyone else chose something that there were either no songs for, or noone knew of any and it came to a standstill.

Pages:  1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44875003 | Sitemap