18 April 2024, 10:43:47 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Omnipresent, currently playing (music) thread...  (Read 477337 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: 9 December 2009, 22:15:59 »
ReplyReply

@ Solideo:

As you can imagine with my hang for "weird" music and for hard rock I much appreciate any Celtic stuff being incorportated into Hard Rock (seems to be a notion generally lately, celtic is "en vogue"!?) did not know the band "ELUVEITIE", thx for sharing!

OTOH, "Sirenia" I have come across before, for me they (she?) are/is a "fantasma", a clone, great vid and spectacular, but kind of like "casting bands now have reached hard rock sector"... It is flat IMHO and lacking the "feeling" that I attribute personally to the generic hard rockers (though I rarely share it though I can), cannot describe it better, maybe I am wrong, but thats my take: Hard ROckers that touch me are basically Amateurs, in the best sense of the word...

FOr example, check out this Amateur Tyrolian Folk Music Band and the Black Metal they produce!:

ultra brutal death metal band

Brede lach

Calm down, just joking, but you get the idea: There is indeed a Tyrolian Folk Band out there that made some crazy hardcore metal tunes out of Johann Strauss, "Blue Danube" etc., cannot seem to find traces on utube though... I just stumbled over this vid by searching for the others, happened to like it  Grijns Very creative the guy who produced it!  champ

Enjoy,

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
sky2979
Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 10 December 2009, 07:12:38 »
ReplyReply

One of my favs...........*big smile*

Gianluca Grignani - Mi Historia Entre Tus Dedos (1995) [Subtittled in English]

"A good teacher is like a candle...It will consume itself to light the path for others"
Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: 10 December 2009, 08:48:55 »
ReplyReply

Calm down, just joking, but you get the idea:
Enjoy,

Rattler

JAJAJAJJAJAJA LOOOOOOOOL. was watching the video and I almost break my arse against the chair. Good funny fake oldies machines.

Yes I understand you when you talk about amateurs, they don´t look to be as fresh as desireble, but "a falta de pan buenas son tortas" Sorry I cannot translate that.

Cheers mate

Here a difference between a fresh group in early times and currently

Metallica- "Metal Militia" Live 1983

Metallica - The Day That Never Comes: video (External Embedding Disabled)

« Last Edit: 10 December 2009, 09:30:56 by Solideo » Logged

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: 10 December 2009, 09:34:49 »
ReplyReply

One of my favs...........*big smile*

Gianluca Grignani - Mi Historia Entre Tus Dedos (1995) [Subtittled in English]

I like that one a lot also, there also is the Italian version out there if I recall right.

Now, as we are talking Amateurs and always listening to the same music, lets change that for a sec and go poking on what more is out there, hardly recognized by the masses.

In this endeavour I stumbled over a true gem, a Romanian singer - so badly produced that it really becomes good again - that has me deeply impressed with his capacity to be laughing about himself, his immense productivity with obviously a low budget (there are literally hundreds of vids by now) and his intensity in focusing on three genres: Women and me, Rap, and poetry. While he only has a few hits on his many videos, I am sure, starting with this post, this will change soon and he will become a well deserved cult figure. Ladies and Gentlemen, Nicolae Guta:

Fat, with a mustache (that in his newer productions is gone) and a crazy hat, he has an almost southern med quality to him, sometimes he looks Andalus, sometimes more Turkish, which obviously helps in seducing the girls, as can be seen here in the first vid I ever saw of him (but which is of his later, more professional productions). While I do not understand a word, the vid tells the story with verve and humor and clearly enough: Guess who this blonde bride ends up with at her wedding?  Brede lach

NICOLAE GUTA-GIGOLO

More of the "Women and me" genre, he seems to be a kind of Romanian Rattler...  Grijns :

NICOLAE GUTA-LAS SA JUR

NICOLAE GUTA-SUNT FRUMOSUL SATULUI

Listening to him I am never really sure whether I should laugh at the guy or adore him, his voice is actually fairly good, and some of his music hits home. As I have to leave for work, I will post about his (interesting) dance floor stuff later in another post.

Enjoy or not,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 10 December 2009, 10:23:43 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: 10 December 2009, 20:19:53 »
ReplyReply

Here are a few from Utah Phillips, filmed at the Strawberry Music Festival in California's sierra mountains near Yosemite. When I lived in Cali I would go to this Bluegrass festival twice a year (Memorial Day-May and Labor Day-Sept) four days of music in the mountains. Utah was a favorite of mine and was highly approachable as he loved to talk to people as you can see by his style of music.

This next one comes in two parts...
U. Utah Phillips (1 of 7)

U. Utah Phillips - 2

U. Utah Phillips - 3

In this piece you can see he is an activist at heart.
U. Utah Phillips - 5

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: 10 December 2009, 23:35:16 »
ReplyReply

What a sympathetic gentleman!

Reminds me of "Grandpa Elliot", one of the true "amateurs" (a street musician in New Orleans) I mentioned before and have been following for some time (sorry, will stick with that theme for some time to come...  hdbng).

...a familiar street performer in New Orleans. He is an expert Harmonica player and has a beautiful voice, as you will hear. He can often be found outside the gift shop at Royal and Toulouse Street, but will also play outside of Cafe Du Monde and other places throughout the quarter. He is now legally blind, but is well loved, so he finds help to get around the quarter. Make sure to see him when you go to New Orleans and tip him well. He deserves it...

Amazing Grace

I am almost sure he probably would have stated the same if he had been interested:

Grandpa Elliot Sings If I were a Rich Man in New Orleans

He has hit cult status now, probably because of a special invitation to perform at Dodger Stadium, he hit the 500.000 today in 90% of his vids.

God Bless America | Playing For Change | Grandpa Elliott

Rattler

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 11 December 2009, 02:39:04 »
ReplyReply

Anarchy

Utah Phillips Ani DiFranco Anarchy

a cover of Utah's I Will not Obey...
Utah Phillips: I Will Not Obey

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: 11 December 2009, 17:07:42 »
ReplyReply

REO Speedwagon - Can't fight this feeling HQ (1984)

Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: 11 December 2009, 20:04:09 »
ReplyReply

Poofy glam one

JOURNEY (with RANDY JACKSON ) - Girl Can't Help It (w / lyrics)

Classic one

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight

Weak up one

Tankard - The Morning After

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 11 December 2009, 21:19:20 »
ReplyReply

For the next several entries, I thank my son for broadening my musical horizons...

Jane's Addiction - Jane Says

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

Pearl jam Daughter:live in sao paulo brazil

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: 11 December 2009, 21:38:52 »
ReplyReply

How old is your son FACman?

Where would you be?

Martina Mcbride Where Would you be Lyrics (External Embedding Disabled)

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: 11 December 2009, 21:42:42 »
ReplyReply

My Valentine - Martina Mcbride

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: 11 December 2009, 22:06:06 »
ReplyReply

Wow, this thread really is alive! Smiley I will hold back shooting my next set of Nicolae Guta`s dance floor stuff for the moment, really great stuff today:

For the next several entries, I thank my son for broadening my musical horizons...

And mine, never had heard of Jane's Addiction before, impressive (and sad)!

@ Jilly: Nice (and not sad Smiley )!

Rattler

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: 11 December 2009, 22:45:32 »
ReplyReply

I'm glad you liked it,  Rattler.   Smiley

So much good music on this thread.   smallclap

Elvis:  Amazing grace:

Elvis Presley - Amazing Grace

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 11 December 2009, 23:58:51 »
ReplyReply

How old is your son FACman?

He'll be 38 on Jan 7th...

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: 12 December 2009, 14:59:45 »
ReplyReply

Oh okay,  I thought he was just a kid.  Goes to show how much I know.

I know I've posted this one before.  but here it is again,  just for FACman,  because he always makes me smile:  Smiley

Cars Movie Soundtrack (Sheryl Crow - Real Gone)

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: 12 December 2009, 22:11:01 »
ReplyReply

Ok, I seriously do not know where to post it, here or in funny vids, but I decide this thread is the right place.

This is primarily for Solideo (though he probably knows it), then 2nd for Sky. The reason is they understand Spanish and simply can jump to the last vid in this post (if the vids do not appear, as we again! have reached the youtube allowance for vids on one page, simply click on the link below it (title)).

As for all others, as it is marvelous, wonderful, real Spanish and brings to the point why I live here (and it even is on topic forumwise!), you will have to bear with me for a sec a I have to explain the background else you won´t understand what you are seeing/hearing:

Bkgnd 1: It all starts out with the worldwide hit song "Macarena", now 15 years old, by "Los del Rio". "The song everybdy knows but nobody admits", really not one of my favorites (actually I used to hate it ferociously and find it quite frightening that so many ppl had it 60 weeks on #1, it beat Elvis and everybody else in history .- though it is fun to dance in fiestas when you have a little blood left in the alcohol Smiley ), but it was the "Summer Hit" in ´94 (there is one every year Smiley ) and still today there is not one popular fiesta where it is not sung or danced.

If you ever want to learn the dance moves that here everybody between 5 and 80+ knows and dances in synchronity, check out this vid:

Macarena

Live, at parties, it looks like this (here, for you guys convinience, young girls, but at the popular dances you have maybe 100 ladies up to their 80´s dancing the same, all in unison - with rather frozen faces here in Mallorca, "...going through the moves" and you will never beat them at it Smiley )

bailando la macarena en la azalea

Bkgnd 2: Ok, now to the lyrics:

It actually is not very important to know the lyrics as they are made by such deep thinkers that we cannot really follow anyway, but let me focus on the central part:

Dale a tu cuerpo alegría macarena
que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegría y cosa buena.
dale a tu cuerpo alegría macarena.
eh, macarena. Ay!

This part translates to (more or less):

Give your body joy, Macarena
because your body is for bringing happiness and good things.
Give your body joy, Macarena.
eh, macarena. Ay!

If you ever want to learn all the very complicated lyrics, here you have them (dancefloor version):

Los Del Rio - La Macarena ( Full Spanish Version with Lyrics

OK, enough background, why do I post all that stuff?

Check out this ad vid, it is in Spanish (mainly), but even not speaking the language, with above lesson and following quick summary you will get the idea:

- Someplace on the world. UN soldiers, Spanish and Brits working together (well...  whistle). Shift to the Spanish tent... Post arrives from home, brought in by the Brits: A fairly recent pic of the kid, the soccer paper of last month (Marca! Smiley ), and then, what every Spanish soldier longs for, food from home (Ham!)... OH, what is that? Where is my ham? Looks like the Brits robbed it and replaced it... with *pudding!*

Time to swing into action, get the ham back from the Brits! ...But what do you do when you do not know English and your adversary hasn´t even ever heard of Spain?  Discover for yorself:

Daily Struggle for Spanish UN soldiers... Smiley

Enjoy, hope you had as good a laugh as myself, what a fright!  champ

Rattler
« Last Edit: 12 December 2009, 22:47:00 by Rattler » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 12 December 2009, 22:33:50 »
ReplyReply

I think Jilly is trying to say Im real gone, here's some music from my youth to see why...

Omaha-Moby Grape-1968

Moby Grape - 8:05

Moby Grape live at the Avalon Ballroom 1967 Stormy Monday
« Last Edit: 13 December 2009, 07:58:43 by FACman » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: 12 December 2009, 22:52:00 »
ReplyReply

Wow, that last one, that´s my kinda slosh! (Maybe you want to consider cross posting it to Jillys "HANG" forum, Music>Blues section, some great stuff there already!): http://hereandnowgroup-hang.proboards.com/

Thx!

Rattler

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 13 December 2009, 02:03:53 »
ReplyReply

Can't get into her site, only staff can access. 2nd time I've tried it, same result.

Pages:  1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44439935 | Sitemap