29 March 2024, 07:24:01 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Omnipresent, currently playing (music) thread...  (Read 475166 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: 6 March 2011, 11:15:07 »
ReplyReply

seems that the girls are afraid of hurting it.... GO GIRLS...HIT IT!

Hitler Sing-BORN TO BE ALIVE-farouk version of SODERBERG.TV
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #921 on: 6 March 2011, 22:31:07 »
ReplyReply

Johan Søderberg?

TA

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #922 on: 10 March 2011, 21:36:30 »
ReplyReply

OK, I feel the need to bump our thread a bit, it has gone lost under the avalanche of data, OOBs and news... Smiley

Today I started re-examining my vinyl collection (inspired by Koens question about a system) with the plan to start digitizing it finally, and - examining the acid/street jazz section of the latze 80s/early 90s - ran into a record of a band most of you wont know: "Boozoo Bajou".

Two Germans, early 2000s, with a mix of acid, funk, reggae and "island sounds", mostly electronic, well worthwile listening to (Music Freak info tidbit: The style, following one of their LPs ("Satta", = "relax" in Jamaikan) sub titles, was dubbed "Lounge").

So, here is to the inventors of Lounge, "Satta" is the LP I am digitizing right now:

(EDIT MAY 17, 2011: Due to deletion of the first two vids - unreplacable - had to revert to others of the same band, no its different albums and years)

Boozoo Bajou - Bakar (Satta!)

Boozoo Bajou - Keep going

Boozoo Bajou - Yoruba Road (Satta!)

Enjoy!

Rattler
« Last Edit: 10 March 2011, 22:18:41 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: 11 March 2011, 19:49:19 »
ReplyReply

(Part one of a 2 part post.)

OK, today I am listening to bass players, good and bad ones, and the usual geniouses. I will post a bit of what I am listening to, but it will require two posts methinks.

I have been inspired for this by a young (18 yo) friend of mine who - as myself at that age, but much better - plays the bass in our first San Telmo band and who I know is lurking on our music thread more than often.

After having waded through 150+ vids of bass orientated or cnetered music within the last 72 hours, here my all time Bass Gods (and we did not have this part on the thread yet, so far we only have guitar gods). In order of age, merit and importance:

1. Jaco Pastorious, the inspiration of late Jope Zawinuls "Weather Report" after Miroslav Vious left, and exactly for that. His inspired bass lines are often unforgettable and public domain by now and impressed me always as I liked his more direct approach to the jazz tunes than the more "intellectual" Miroslav Vitous. A good example one of his "eternal" bass lines on which in this case a whole big band builds its musical adventure (the more easy to decipher - and probably easier to the ear - studio version w/o big band and just accompanied by John Scofield in the code below for those interested):

Jaco Pastorius- Soul Intro- The Chicken (Live 1982) (External Embedding Disabled)

Studio Version with John Scofield
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmJ7EKkv93o

2. Stanley Clarke. In his time with "Return to Forever" (w/ Chick Corea, Al Dimeola and Lenny White, still up to today my all time "best" fusion group and probably the musically best live event I ever had the chance to attend) he was the first bass player ever that I heard that did not use his instrument as a mere rhythm tool but as a stand-alone melody instrument. His technique on all types of bass from the big contra to the slap electric, his speed and precision and the sounds he knew to fit in this adventure: Unmatched! But (as we saw later in his solo albums, see the vid in the code below with one of his compositions) his imagination was not on the same level as the rest of the group or e.g. Pastorious´. Good example here (incl. solo), the "Romantic Warrior", ay! what a masterpiece...:

Return to Forever - The Romantic Warrior 1976

School Days 1985
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YNehAz7FY

3. Mark King (of Level 42). The guy who maybe not invented bass slapping but managed to form a legend, a sound and a band around it, becoming the first band bass front man that I remember. This is his merit, and until today (and there are way better slappers and technicians around by now) lives from this strike of genious in the early 80s...:

Level 42 Mr. Pink Rockpalast 1984

...to be continued....
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 20:04:58 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Fredrocker
Private

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: 11 March 2011, 22:23:06 »
ReplyReply

How bout some Fredrock Music
 danger Let Me Down Easy

reddevil I Aint Gonna Do That

Be Gentle... Home Studio Mixing Huh?

That is all...
Fredrocker

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." -Theodore Roosevelt
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #925 on: 11 March 2011, 22:58:01 »
ReplyReply

No need to be gentle, nice songs! Do you do them alone, or is it a band?

Rattler

Fredrocker
Private

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #926 on: 11 March 2011, 23:14:57 »
ReplyReply

Thank you

Actually I write words and music, and play keyboards, some guitar and background vocals...  Its not a band though, just a group of friends that get together in Virginia like once or twice a year for a week or so... I know the Singer is in a band, and the guy playing drums is too... The Washington DC area is big with the live music scene.  Plus we do all the recording and mixing in a home studio there...

Use to manage some bands back in 1988-92 in Virginia, they were pretty good, we would open for bands like 38 Special, Allman Brothers, Blue Oyster Cult, etc

That is all...
Fredrocker

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." -Theodore Roosevelt
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #927 on: 14 March 2011, 00:12:28 »
ReplyReply

(... continued from Reply #923)

...bumping because it got lost in the recent posting surge, with another of my bass gods:

4. Wojtek ("Slap Machine") Pilichowski: A Polack, learned from Mark King and Victor Wooten, but carried the slap (two thumbs, fretless) to new heights, he probably atm is the fastest and most precise bass player in the rock/pop world around (see the 2nd vid below, a solo by him that makes your hair raise towards the end). I want to feature him here with his band, also in this environment a pleasure to the ears (he yonger, take older):

Slap Machine - Wojtek Pilichowski

Wojtek Pilichowski - bass solo

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #928 on: 1 April 2011, 23:56:12 »
ReplyReply

For Juana, and because I cannot breathe right now...:

Jarabedepalo - "COMPLETO INCOMPLETO"

Soy un completo incompleto
incompleto por amor
la costilla que me falta
cuelga de tu corazón
un seguro inseguro
media persona en el mundo
un amante incompleto
cada vez que te deseo
soy un completo incompleto
si me giro y no te veo
como una persona a medias
sabes a que me refiero
Soy un acorde incompleto
menor y desafinado
que va persiguiendo notas
sin lograr una canción
un rosal sin hojas secas
un perfume sin olor
una película de cine
sin final en el guión
soy un completo incompleto
si me giro y no te veo
sabes a que me refiero
si me giro y no te veo
sabes a que me refiero
sabes a que me refiero
se me para el corazón
si me giro y no te veo
sabes a que me refiero
un seguro inseguro
media persona en el mundo
un amante incompleto
sin ti en mi corazón.

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #929 on: 2 April 2011, 00:17:17 »
ReplyReply

And some more that I post just because I always fall back to this irrepressible guy when I dont know where to go (preferably in a closed bar with just the owner around, the bar stools all on the bar, and a bottle of JD in front), and currently I have no clue, lets see whether it helps (no JD here, so I doubt it):

Life is Life, Uh?

Davenports and kettle drums
And swallow tail coats
Table cloths and patent leather shoes
Bathing suits and bowling balls
And clarinets and rings
And all this radio really
Needs is a fuse
A tinker, a tailor
A soldier's things
His rifle, his boots full of rocks
And this one is for bravery
And this one is for me
And everything's a dollar
In this box

Cuff links and hub caps
Trophies and paperbacks
It's good transportation
But the brakes aren't so hot
Neck tie and boxing gloves
This jackknife is rusted
You can pound that dent out
On the hood
A tinker, a tailor
A soldier's things
His rifle, his boots full of rocks
Oh and this one is for bravery
And this one is for me
And everything's a dollar
In this box

This one beats them all (on top of that great Casablanca tune that is now banned in Spain because it has people smolking):

Tom Waits - Bad Liver (and a Broken Heart)

Well I got a bad liver and broken heart,
I drunk me a river since you tore me apart...

I don't have a drinking problem,
'cept when I can't get a drink
And I wish you'd a-known her, we were quite a pair...

She was sharp as a razor and soft as a prayer,
so welcome to the continuing saga,
she was my better half, and I was just a dog...

And so here am I slumped,
I've been chipped and I've been chumped,
here on my stool...

Wont someone please
buy this fool
some spirits and libations,
so these railroad station bars
and all these conductors and the porters,
and I'm all out of quarters...

And the epitaph
is the aftermath,
I´ve gotta choose my path,
hey, come on, Kath!

He aint nothing,
he's just a lawyer,
he´s never been the one for you..

No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell,
Now some guy's trying to sell me a watch,
I´m gonna have to meet you at the bottom of a bottle of bargain Scotch
I got me a bottle and a dream, so maudlin it seems...

You can name your poison, you can make some noise
for christs´s sake: I ain't sentimental,
this ain't a purchase, it's just a rental, and it's purgatory,
And hey, what's your story, frankly I don't really care,
I´ve got my own double-cross to bear...

And I'll see your Red Label, and now I'll raise you one more,
Someone pour me a cab, I just can't drink no more,
'Cause it don't douse the flames
that are started by dames,
it ain't like asbestos
it don't do nothing but rest us assured,
And substantiate the rumors that you've heard....!

FWIW,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 2 April 2011, 00:56:44 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #930 on: 3 April 2011, 22:57:18 »
ReplyReply

One for Gracián as I know he will check as usual  (and all the band):

You guys really made my day yesterday (night), being the only one sober within all those oh-so-rich drunks was hard. Having worked 12 hours before didn´t help either, and at 0400, when the host finally let himself down to a comment (had delivered the comment to me through a servant) "your music is shit" I simply wrapped up and left the richies to leave for Puerto and Barracuda (had to get up again 0700 after making ithome 0400) and myself to a few posts and then well deserved sleep.

You young guys are the future if you go on that way, your front man has his show down pat, best I have seen in years, I would have loved to have you personally on the bass when Walter Becker jumped in for the jam part, but, well, cant have it all ... (did anybody in the band even realize it was Walter Becker?).

Finally, you definitely need keyboards (or a rock accoredeon, hint hint  hihi?) and also youre lacking "Tainted Love" in your covers repertoire, this piece is *made* for (slap) bass, so old (50s?), sooooo good still and a cover classic!... Smiley

Of course, best in Heavy, you guys style version, headbang would be ok as well... Everybody interprets it slow (even Marilyn Manson!), from my POV this piece needs speed and power, direction Boppin Kids, Hot Rods, Bad Religion or Social Distortion, but with more groove and - jam Smiley Just an idea...

Anyway, enjoy (or not)!

Steely Dan live plays"Don't take me alive"

Boppin Kids - Tainted love

Social Distortion - Tainted Love

Rattler
« Last Edit: 3 April 2011, 23:28:21 by Rattler » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #931 on: 6 April 2011, 07:47:53 »
ReplyReply

"Razones" de Bebe

Te echo de menos, le digo al aire  I miss you, I am telling the wind  Du fehlst mir, sag ich zum Wind  
te busco, te pienso, te siento  I search for you, I think of you, I feel you  Ich suche Dich, ich denke an Dich, ich fühle Dich  
y siento  and I feel  Und ich fühle  
que como tu no habra nadie  somebody like you wont exist again  jemanden wie Dich wirds nicht mehr geben  
y aqui te espero,   and here I wait for you,  und hier warte ich auf Dich,  
con mi cajita de la vida  with my box that holds my life  mit meinem Kaste voller Dingen meines Lebens  
cansada, a oscuras, con miedo  tired, in the dark, afraid  müde, im Dunkeln, voller Angst
y este frio, nadie me lo quita  and this coldness, nobody takes it away  und dieser Kälte, die niemand wegnimmt  
. . .
Tengo razones, para buscarte  I have reasons to be looking for you  Ich hab Gründe, nach Dir zu suchen  
tengo necesidad de verte, de oirte, de hablarte    I need to see you, to hear you, to speak to you  Ich muss Dich sehen, hören, mit Dir sprechen  
tengo razones, para esperarte  I have reasons to wait for you  Ich habe Gründe auf Dich zu warten  
porque no creo que haya en el mundo  because I dont think in the world exists  weil ich nicht glaube dass es auf der Welt jemanden gibt  
nadie mas a quien ame  someobody I would love more  den ich mehr lieben könnte  
. . .
tengo razones, razones de sobra,  I have reasons, too many reasons,  Ich habe Gründe, zu viele Gründe,
para pedirle al viento que vuelvas  for not asking the wind to bring you back  um nicht den Wind zu bitten dass Du zurückkommst  
aunque sea como una sombra  and were it only as a shadow  und sei´s nur als Schatten  
tengo razones, para no quererte olvidar  I have reasons to not want to forget you  Ich habe Gründe Dich nicht vergessen zu wollen  
porque el trocito de felicidad  because my little bit of happiness,  weil dies kleine Stücken Glück,  
fuiste tu quien me lo dio a probar  it was you who made me try it   es warst Du, der mich es hat probieren lassen  
. . .
El aire huele a ti,  The air smells of you  Die Luft riecht nach Dir  
mi casa se cae porque no estas aqui  my house is falling apart because you are not here    mein Haus bricht zusammen weil Du nicht da bist  
mis sabanas, mi pelo, mi ropa te buscan a ti  my sheets, my hair, my clothes, are looking for you    meine Decken, mein Haar, meine Kleider suchen Dich  
mis pies son como de carton  My feet feel as if made of cardboard  Meine Füsse fühlen sich an wie aus Pappe  
que voy arrastrando por cada rincon  that I am dragging from place to place  die ich von Ort zu Ort schleppe  
mi cama se hace fria y gigante  my bed is getting cold and big  Mein Bett wird kalt und riesig  
y en ella me pierdo yo  and I lose myself in it  und ich verliere mich darin  
. . .
Mi casa se vuelve a caer  My house falls apart again  Mein Haus fällt erneut aueinander  
mis flores se mueren de pena  My flowers die of pain  Meine Blumen gehen ein vor Schmerz  
mis lagrimas son charquitos   My tears form small puddles  Mein Tränen sind kleine Pfützen  
que caen a mis pies  that fall at my feet  die auf meine Füsse fallen  
. . .
te mando besos de agua  I send you kisses of water  Ich sende Dir Wasserküsse
que hagan un hueco en tu calma  may they create a whole in your calm  auf dass sie ein Loch in Deine Ruhe reissen  
pa(ra) que bañen tu cuerpo y tu almato bath your body and soul  um Deien Körper und Deine Seele zu baden  
para que te curen tus heridas  to heal your wounds  um Deine Wunden zu heilen  
de esos con los que tanto te reias  of the type that  made you laugh so much von der Sorte die Dich so zum Lachen brachten  

Rattler
« Last Edit: 9 April 2011, 02:57:16 by Rattler » Logged

TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: 10 April 2011, 21:33:24 »
ReplyReply

Something for fun (actually a bit more on topic than most of the rest) and to make Henk and Koen + all Brits cringe:

Its about a long dead General (with a - Attention, Irony! - Spanish name) that has become a symbol of lately for the SA Afrikaner population after the end of Apartheid (and as such is very polemic), the gist being "De La Rey, will you come and (to) lead the Boers?".

The song as such is nostalgic and transports the tale of Afrikaners botched down in a loomy and bloody battlefield in pouring rain, hoping that Anglo-Boer (pronounce "Boor") General Koos De La Rey will come to save them and lead them forward in their war.

From that basis, and as it has risen within the white Boer community to new glory, the song is considered to be the anthem of the far-rights that want Apartheid back. This is not totally true (though the trend might be as such):

Despite the controversy, the song and the nationalism it has fired up, has found support in some at first glance unlikely political quarters, like of the vice president of the African National Congress (ANC), Jacob Zuma (whose followers are whipped into a frenzy when he sings the song "Awuleth Umshini Wam" (Bring me my machine gun)).

He said in public: "Afrikaners have all the right to remember their heroes as have my fellow Zulus. "(Um)shini Wam" is a song of my history. Why should Afrikaners not remember their heroes also?"

The song is in "afrikaans", a mix of Dutch, French and English, to the point where neither of those nations will understand more than the general idea thatit transports, the dialect is heavy.

Boer: De la Rey

Op 'n berg in die nag
lê ons in die donker en wag
in die modder en bloed lê ek koud,
streepsak en reën kleef teen my

en my huis en my plaas tot kole verbrand sodat hulle ons kan vang,
maar daai vlamme en vuur brand nou diep, diep binne my.

De La Rey, De La Rey sal jy die Boere kom lei?
De La Rey, De La Rey
Generaal, generaal soos een man, sal ons om jou val.
Generaal De La Rey.

Oor die Kakies wat lag,
'n handjie van ons teen 'n hele groot mag
en die kranse lê hier teen ons rug,
hulle dink dis verby.

Maar die hart van 'n Boer lê dieper en wyer, hulle gaan dit nog sien.
Op 'n perd kom hy aan, die Leeu van die Wes Transvaal.

De La Rey, De La Rey
Generaal De La Rey.

Want my vrou en my kind lê in 'n kamp en vergaan,
en die Kakies se murg loop oor 'n nasie wat weer op sal staan.

De La Rey, De La Rey
Generaal De La Rey.

TA

EDIT MAR 12, my try on a take in English, Koen/Henk plz correct:

Op 'n berg in die nag / on a mountain in the night
lê ons in die donker en wag / we lie in the darkness and wait
in die modder en bloed lê ek koud, / I lay in mud and blood, cold
streepsak en reën kleef teen my / grain pouch (sand bag?) and the rain affect (stick? to) me

en my huis en my plaas tot kole verbrand sodat hulle ons kan vang / and my house and my place are burned to coals so that they cant catch us

maar daai vlamme en vuur brand nou diep, diep binne my / but the flames and fire burn deep, deep inside of me

De La Rey, De La Rey sal jy die Boere kom lei? / De La Rey, can you come lead the boers
Generaal, generaal soos een man, sal ons om jou val  / General like one man, we will follow you as one (literally: as one man, shall we fall with you)?

Oor die khakies wat lag / Listen to the Brits ("Khakies") who laugh
'n handjie van ons teen 'n hele groot mag / a handful of us against a whole great army (force?)
en die kranse lê hier teen ons rug / and the cliffs are here against our backs
hulle dink dis verby / as they shall see

Maar die hart van 'n Boer lê dieper en wyer, hulle gaan dit nog sien / but the heart of a boer is deeper and wider, they can still see it not
Op 'n perd kom hy aan, die Leeu van die Wes Transvaal / on a horse he comes, the lion from West Transvaal

Want my vrou en my kind lê in 'n kamp en vergaan / because my wife and my child are in a camp, withering (decaying?)
en die khakies se murg loop oor 'n nasie wat weer op sal staan.  / and the Brits´ marrow runs over a nation which shall stand up again

I left out the repeats of the refrain.

------ END EDIT -----

P.S.: Not meaning to act the PITA here, but why dont Henk and Koen tell us something about the Boer wars? They were significant in the late 19th and early 20th, and with some people whose heritage can be found there today from my POV it would stand the forum in good stead, and the details are not so spread out on the net as are the WWII thingies. TA

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: 11 April 2011, 09:41:11 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,

altough Dutch and Flemish people speak the same language our histories lay way apart from eachother.

The Dutch have conquered the world
We Flemish were conquered by the world
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #934 on: 12 April 2011, 23:19:59 »
ReplyReply

Here a seemingly stupid song (not soooo stupid, Beethoven had a hand in it), that despite all smothering snoozeness always makes my eyes water (oh, we poor romantics), especially as its considered the "European Hymn", and even more so as its my personal take on things (apart, of course, from "The Rattler Way Of Life" that is my signature below Knipoog ), also a song I can sing in Karaoke perfectly... Smiley :

Himno de la alegria

Escucha hermano la cancion de la alegria
el canto alegre del que espera un nuevo día
ven, canta, sueña cantando
vive soñando el nuevo sol
en que los hombres volveran a ser hermanos.

Ven, canta, sueña cantando

Si en tu camino solo existe la tristeza
y el llanto amargo de la soledad completa,
ven, canta, sueña cantando

Si es que no encuentras la alegria aqui en la tierra,
buscala, hermano, mas allá en las estrellas,
ven, canta, sueña cantado

Here a rough translation by yours truly (dont have time for details):

Listen brother, the song of joy
the happy song of who is waiting for a new day
come, sing, dream singing,
live dreaming of the new sun
where men will come to be brothers again.

If in your path there is only sadness
and bitter crying (that comes) of complete solitude,

If you can not find happiness here on earth
search for it, brother, out there in the stars!

For a moment, after such a brutal assault on your musical senses, also take some time and look at the (Beethoven) original (wait a minute into the vid or so to hear its the same piece), here represented by von Karajan and visually set up by one of the best film producers ever, Hugo Niebeling (the camera is also the best that was around, and still is)...:

L. V. Beethoven,Symphony no.9 mvt.4( Ode to Joy )

Rattler
« Last Edit: 13 April 2011, 23:51:23 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: 13 April 2011, 08:57:22 »
ReplyReply

Orange is what I'm guessing it would be..... the rest is below after I found that translation site

Op 'n berg in die nag / on a mountain in the night / During that night on a mountain
lê ons in die donker en wag / we lie in the darkness and wait / I waited in the dark
in die modder en bloed lê ek koud, / I lay in mud and blood, cold / in mud and blood I got cold
streepsak en reën kleef teen my / grain pouch (sand bag?) and the rain affect (stick? to) me / my clothingbag (plunjebaal) and the rain stickying to my body (difficult one)

en my huis en my plaas tot kole verbrand sodat hulle ons kan vang / and my house and my place are burned to coals so that they cant catch us / and they burned my house so that they could catch us

maar daai vlamme en vuur brand nou diep, diep binne my / but the flames and fire burn deep, deep inside of me / but the flame and fire burns deep now, deep inside of me

De La Rey, De La Rey sal jy die Boere kom lei? / De La Rey, can you come lead the boers / De La Rey, De La Rey, will you lead the Boers?
Generaal, generaal soos een man, sal ons om jou val  / General, like one man, we will follow you as one (literally: as one man, shall we fall with you)? / General, general, as one man we will fall for you

Oor die khakies wat lag / Listen to the Brits ("Khakies") who laugh / Listen to the Brits laughing
'n handjie van ons teen 'n hele groot mag / a handful of us against a whole great army (force?)
en die kranse lê hier teen ons rug / and the cliffs are here against our backs
hulle dink dis verby / as they shall see

Maar die hart van 'n Boer lê dieper en wyer, hulle gaan dit nog sien / but the heart of a boer is deeper and wider, they can still see it not
Op 'n perd kom hy aan, die Leeu van die Wes Transvaal / on a horse he comes, the lion from West Transvaal

Want my vrou en my kind lê in 'n kamp en vergaan / because my wife and my child are in a camp, withering (decaying?)
en die khakies se murg loop oor 'n nasie wat weer op sal staan.  / and the Brits´ marrow runs over a nation which shall stand up again

http://mymemory.translated.net/ translation with some help from me
On a mountain in the night we lie in the dark and wait
In the mud and blood I lie cold, grain bag and rain cling to me.
My house and farm burned to ashes so they could catch us
But those flames and fire are burning deep now, deep inside (of) me.

De La Rey, De la Rey, will you lead the Boers?
De La Rey, De La Rey
General, General, as a man, we'll drop for you.
General De La Rey

Hear the Brits laughing
A handful of us against a huge force
and with the cliffs to our backs, they think it over.

But the heart of a farmer is deeper and wider, they'll soon find out.

On a horse he arrives, the Lion of the Western Transvaal.

De La Rey, De La Rey
General De La Rey

For my wife and my child who are dying in a camp
and with the Brits overrunning a nation that will rise again.

De La Rey, De La Rey
General De La Rey

-----------------------------------------

streepsak: I think that the different translation come to the fact that it's used as a sleeping bag but in fact it is a jute bag filled with potatoes or sand in this case
« Last Edit: 13 April 2011, 09:26:13 by Koen » Logged
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #936 on: 13 April 2011, 14:03:38 »
ReplyReply

With some help from a good friend Smiley

In mud and blood we lay against the sandbags, shivering from cold and rain. (streepsak can be translated as a sandbag or as a backpack)
My house and village are burned down to the ground in an attempt to hunt us down.
But the fire (hatred) burns deep inside of me.

De Larey will you lead us? De larey can you lead the Boers?
Oh general for a man like you we will give our lives!
Listen to the brits laughing of us, only a handfull of us against their overwhelming force with our backs against the cliffs/rocks. (in this case mag translates to overmacht which is a large overwhelming force)
But the heart of a Boer is filled with pride and courage, they will find out soon.
On a horse he will arive, the lion of Transvaal.
My wife and kids are locked up in a camp, starving because the Brits try to crush us, the core/elite of a nation that will rise up again.

Henk.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: 14 April 2011, 20:13:32 »
ReplyReply

Stoffel, whats the background to write the name of the general "De Larey" instead of "De la Rey"? I have him down as "Koos de la Rey", and in the mil records as "Jacobus Herculaas de la Rey", always with the Spanish origin surname (actually he was of a mix of Dutch, Spanish and French descent, check the family genealogy).

Just curious,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 14 April 2011, 20:21:14 by Rattler » Logged

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #938 on: 14 April 2011, 20:15:34 »
ReplyReply

I dont know, we had Spanish occupation here in the 16th century.
Maybe he is related to a SPanish guy that stick in the Netherlands Knipoog
I was right, text from Wiki :
Born on the family farm Doornfontein in the Winburg District of the Orange Free State, he was the son of Adrianus Johannes Gijsbertus de la Rey and Adriana Wilhelmina van Rooyen. De la Rey was a Boer of Spanish, French Huguenot and Dutch descent. His grandfather, a school teacher and the patriarch of the De la Rey family in South Africa came from Utrecht, Netherlands. After the Battle of Boomplaats, the family farm was confiscated by the British and the family trekked into the Transvaal and settled in Lichtenburg. As a child De la Rey received very little formal education. The De la Rey family moved once again, this time to Kimberley after the discovery of diamonds. As a young man, De la Rey worked as a transport rider on the routes serving the diamond diggings at Kimberley.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #939 on: 14 April 2011, 20:23:16 »
ReplyReply

Thats more or less what I have on him also, the similarities to "de Wet" are striking.

Still, why spelling it differently, is that the Dutch version?

Rattler

Pages:  1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44167081 | Sitemap