29 March 2024, 06:56:43 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 9683 times)
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« on: 15 August 2010, 15:03:09 »
ReplyReply

I have finally reached my limit regarding patience with Mary's computer. It is notoriously cranky and runs really slow in spite of all attempts at cleaning it up. And since I will be having to transit from Ca to Ar so frequently, I decided to get a laptop, and what a laptop it shall be...

Asus G73JH-A3 Republic of Gamers 17-Inch Gaming Laptop - Black
    * Intel i7-720QM (1.60GHz Quad-Core)
    * 8GB DDR3 1066MHz, 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 8GB
    * 1TB (500G 7200RPM x2) HDD; Blue-Ray Disk Combo Drive; 802.11 b/g/n (According to cust., manufacturer states it doesn't come with 4 GB SSD)
    * ATI 5870 Graphics with 1G GDDR5; Windows Home Premium 64-bit Operating System
    * 17.3-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; 2.0M Webcam; Gaming Backpack and Mouse

Take a giant leap ahead of the competition with the ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) G73JH gaming notebook. The G73JH takes the latest games to the next level of realism with Full HD graphics at a blistering fast framerate. Featuring an Intel Core i7 quad-core processor, graphics powered by an extremely powerful DirectX 11-enabled ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 graphics processor with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM, and 8GB DDR3 of system memory, the G73Jh-A2 unleashes its hypersonic performance to render today's and tomorrow's most demanding games with ease. The G73Jh-A3 boasts 1TB of 7200RPM hard disk space (500GB x 2) plus 4gb ssd, high-speed wireless N (802.11 b/g/n @2.4GHz), ASUS CPU Level Up performance boost, Bluetooth v2.1, HDMI connectivity, a 2.0Mp camera, DirectX 11 support, and Altec Lansing speakers with EAX Advanced HD 4.0 sound. Also included are a complimentary Republic of Gamers backpack and ROG laser gaming mouse (3200 DPI). The G73JH comes with a 2 year ASUS 360 global warranty and 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty with 30-day Flawless Display Guarantee.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2010, 15:59:50 »
ReplyReply

Of course I am only curious....but what does that cost you?  whistle whistle

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2010, 16:16:32 »
ReplyReply

My first-born and a first round draft pick...

It was $1800, which from all the reviews I read, indicated a steal of a bargain. Comparables from Alienware would run about $3000.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2010, 11:50:01 »
ReplyReply

welcome to the 21st century  champ
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2010, 06:10:01 »
ReplyReply

Nice, I am starting to look for a new PC myself as I am currently on the move and it would help to have something to help keep in touch with the world other than the overly fiddly phone.

I would like a laptop I can game with although my experience of laptops has been at best poor and haven't really found one "suited" to gaming.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2010, 10:26:14 »
ReplyReply

My laptop is now 2 years old, it has a Geforce 8600 card(GT) and a dual core processor.
It played the last versions of Call of duty without problems.
I am only using it when I can take it with me during army service( office work)
Or on holidays.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2010, 16:45:52 »
ReplyReply

She's here!!! Now off to manual reading Hell...I know you guys feel real sorry for me about now.

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2010, 08:08:52 »
ReplyReply

Well you talked me into it (and an early divorce once the wife finds out) but I ordered this one today and it should be here tomorrow all going well, I figured it seemed like a reasonable deal at just on $2000, basically I used Facman's spec's and this was the closest I could find that I had a chance of getting before I head off again...

ASUS G51JX-3D-IX012X - 15.6Inch 3D LED i7-720QM 8GB 1TB GTS360M 1GB Bluray Combo with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Laptop

Experience the Reality in 3D Gaming
• True-to-life virtual reality 3D gaming experience including a pair of active shutter 3D glasses, transmitter and the 120Hz LCD panel
• Empowered by NVIDIA GeForce extreme performance GTS 360M graphic engine with GDDR5 1GB video memory for immersive gaming experience
• Enhanced Gaming Excitement by EAX Advanced HD 4.0 and CMSS
• The lastest Intel Core i7 quad core and Core i5 dual core processors for Turbo Boost Technology
• CPU performance level up to increase the performance

Specifications:

• ASUS G51JX-3D-IX012X 3D Gaming Notebook

Processor & Cache Memory: Intel® Core i7 Processor 720QM Processor: 1.6 GHz, with turbo up to 2.8 GHz
• Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
• Chipset: Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset
• Main Memory: 8GB DDR3 1066MHz
• Display: 15.6" 3D LED backlit (1366 x 768)
• Video Graphics & Memory: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M, with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM
• Hard Drive: Hard Drive: 1 TB Serial ATA, 7200rpm
• Optical Drive: Blu-Ray DVD Combo
• Card Reader: 8 in 1 card reader, SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,XD,Smart Media,mini SD w/ adapter,MS-Duo
• Video Camera: 2.0 Mega Pixel web camera
• Wireless LAN: Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
• Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth V2.1+EDR

Interface:
• 1 x Microphone-in jack
• 2 x Headphone-out jack (1 with S/PDIF)
• 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
• 4 x USB 2.0 ports
• 1 x IEEE 1394 port
• 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
• 1 x HDMI
• 1 x E-SATA

Audio:
• Altec Lansing speakers
• Creative Audigy HD
• EAX Advanced HD 4.0

• Keyboard: 19mm full size 88 Key with MS Windows function keys; Numeric Keyboard
• Battery Pack & Life: 6 cells: 4800 mAh
• Weight: 3.30 kg (with 6 cell battery)

Accessary:
• Gaming carry bag
• Gaming mouse & 3D Glasses

Warranty:
• 2-year limited global hardware warranty; 1-year battery pack warranty

And in the end all that jibberish means is that it will take 3 weeks for me to find the on button.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2010, 09:19:12 »
ReplyReply

and I N E E D to update my laptop from f**** Vista to Windows 7 S O O N... it's driving me crazy  reddevil
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2010, 11:06:45 »
ReplyReply

Lol, vista?

It was the first thing I removed from my laptop Smiley
As long as XP is supported I will work with it Smiley

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2010, 11:18:17 »
ReplyReply

Lol, vista?

It was the first thing I removed from my laptop Smiley
As long as XP is supported I will work with it Smiley

Vista was pre-installed so I had no choice... I would like to wait to see the price drop of the 7... it's still around 100€
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2010, 11:47:26 »
ReplyReply

I think you are being a bit harsh on Vista, I have XP, Vista and Windows 7 running on various PC's and I would take Vista over any of them.

XP seems to have gotten slower and slower as the years have gone by and Windows 7 is just an over blown version of Vista (in true Microsoft fashion they obviously looked at Vista and looked at as many ways to make Vista less user friendly and twice the size then stuck it in a windows 7 box and shipped it) which wont run half my hardware.

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2010, 12:11:13 »
ReplyReply

Yo Monty!
For all intents and purposes, your new comp is virtually the same as mine. I didnt get 3d glasses though! I am pleased so far, though this being my first laptop, I have some getting used to. Played my first CM turn this AM and loved the beautiful graphics.

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2010, 22:30:22 »
ReplyReply

Hehe that is what I was going for, I have no idea what the 3D thing is all about but the rest of the stats looked similar although I could not get the 17' screen.
Anyway it was shipped last night and will be here later today which means I can take it with me tomorrow. Tong

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2 September 2010, 17:11:53 »
ReplyReply

Yo Monty!
Did you get your new rig? Im loving mine.

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 3 September 2010, 01:25:26 »
ReplyReply

Yo Monty!
Did you get your new rig? Im loving mine.

Hehe sorry for the lack of updates every 2 to 3 years the job I do involves travelling to every pointless piece of real estate on the planet so I am out of circulation for about 6 months.

But to answer your question yes I have my new comp and even mastered the location of the on/off button so I am now able to communicate more, I can't honestly say whether I am loving it or not as I left the day after it arrived so it only has the basic software on it however I have to say I love the crispness of the graphics in that solitaire deck.

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 3 September 2010, 01:43:30 »
ReplyReply

I love the crispness of the graphics in that solitaire deck.

Aye, tis gorgeous in my opinion. Just remember to watch what you have sitting behind the vents, as they get pretty warm.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166760 | Sitemap