29 March 2024, 06:02:54 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: WikiLeaks' Assange seeks asylum at Ecuador embassy  (Read 4856 times)
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« on: 20 June 2012, 06:21:35 »
ReplyReply

WikiLeaks' Assange seeks asylum at Ecuador embassy

7:22pm EDT
By Alexandra Valencia and Avril Ormsby

QUITO/LONDON (Reuters) - WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange has taken refuge in Ecuador's embassy in London and asked for asylum, officials said on Tuesday, in a last-ditch bid to avoid extradition to Sweden over sex crime accusations.
Ecuadorean Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said his country would weigh the request from the 40-year-old hacker, famous for leaking hundreds of thousands of U.S. diplomatic cables.
The appeal for protection was the latest twist in Assange's 18-month fight against being sent to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning about allegations of rape and sexual assault made by two female former WikiLeaks volunteers.
The situation threatens to inflame tensions between the government of Rafael Correa, Ecuador's leftist and ardently anti-Washington president, and U.S. authorities, who accuse Assange of damaging its foreign relations with his leaks.
It is also an embarrassment for Britain, where the Foreign Office whose foreign ministry on Tuesday confirmed Assange was beyond the reach of its police in the Ecuadorean embassy.
"Ecuador is studying and analyzing the request," Patino told reporters in Quito. He added that any decision would be made with "respect for norms and principles of international law".
The Andean nation in 2010 invited Assange to seek residency there but quickly backed off the idea, accusing him of breaking U.S. laws.

Read More...

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2012, 12:07:54 »
ReplyReply

Poor soul:)
Something comes into my mind.....if you try to hit a big boy dont cry if he hits back at you :-)

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2012, 21:44:43 »
ReplyReply

I felt that way to start with however the longer this has gone on the more concerned I become.

We often argue that the truth is the first casualty of the media and yet here is a guy that published the truth warts and all and now he is facing prison time for some extremely dodgy charges.

The question for me in all of this is should we not be concerned that if you embarrass the government (and that is all that they did) there is a good chance you will wake up in a prison cell is this really the society we want to create?

I guess what it boils down to is do we have a right to know what people are doing in our names and if the answer is no then aren't we really little more than an elected dictatorship?

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2012, 00:21:55 »
ReplyReply

Concur 100%.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2012, 12:40:11 »
ReplyReply

With his so called leaking he exposed the lives of servicemen everywhere, not only US soldiers and law enforcement officers.
Each day he spends in prison is a good day.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2012, 09:34:49 »
ReplyReply

With his so called leaking he exposed the lives of servicemen everywhere, not only US soldiers and law enforcement officers.
Each day he spends in prison is a good day.

Even if that time in prison is on trumped up charges?

It worries me that people are happy to throw freedoms out the window and pervert justice to reach a conclusion that does no one justice.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166241 | Sitemap