29 March 2024, 06:59:05 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Sd.Kfz. 185 mit 8,8cm Pak 43 L/71 # Sd.Kfz. 186 mit 12,8-cm Pak 44 L/71  (Read 18017 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 12 January 2009, 22:00:33 »
ReplyReply

Henschel’s gear (74 models)
Porsche’s gear (11 models produced from February to September of 1944)

In April of 1945, four were armed with 88mm Pak 43 L/71 gun and were designated as Panzerjäger Tiger mit 88mm Pak 43/3 (Sf)Sd.Kfz.185

128mm Pak 44 L/55 were designated Sd.Kfz.186

July of 1944 to April of 1945, only 85 Jagtigers were manufactured (out of 150 ordered) with known chassisnumbers 305001 to 305077 or to 305088.

Jagdtigers were produced by Nibelungenwerke at St. Valentin and were tested at Dollersheim in Austria.

Henschel’s gear roadwheels (800mm in diameter) were slightly larger than those used in Porsche’s gear (700mm in diameter).

Two s.Pz.Jäg.Abt. (schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung) were issued the Jagdtiger: s.Pz.Jäg.Abt. 653 and s.Pz.Jäg.Abt. 512. With the collapse of the Wehrmacht, the Jagdtigers produced few results.

Jagdtiger

Captured Jagdtiger loaded on a US tank transport truck.

Pictures taken from various sources:
Spielberger, pictures from german battlefield, images of war.

« Last Edit: 12 January 2009, 22:11:31 by Koen » Logged
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2010, 07:10:24 »
ReplyReply

Knocked out Jagdtiger...

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2010, 21:44:02 »
ReplyReply

Knocked out Jagdtiger...
<Quoted Image Removed>

seems they tried to move it? look at the cables at the front?

I can't seem to identify it as Porsche or Henschell turret.... Huh?
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2010, 21:52:43 »
ReplyReply

Knocked out Jagdtiger...
<Quoted Image Removed>

I might be wrong (as I have really no clue about WWII tanks above the general knowledge you aquire after a few years of internet), but are not Henschel (Kassel) and Porsche (Stuttgart) the different base chassis they were mounting (with same turrets)?

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2010, 22:04:02 »
ReplyReply

Knocked out Jagdtiger...
<Quoted Image Removed>

I might be wrong (as I have really no clue about WWII tanks above the general knowledge you aquire after a few years of internet), but are not Henschel (Kassel) and Porsche (Stuttgart) the different base chassis they were mounting (with same turrets)?

Rattler

correct...  cry ... I mixed the KT with the JgdT.... with the KT it were the turrets...with the JgdT the suspension

150 Jagdtigers were ordered but only half that number were produced. Eleven of them, serial numbers 305001 and 305003 to 305012, were produced with the Porsche suspension (8 roadwheels); all following used the Henschel suspension (9 roadwheels).

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2010, 22:20:26 »
ReplyReply

My money is on it being the Henschel model as the road wheels are not spaced far enough apart to be the Porsche model.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2010, 22:35:50 »
ReplyReply

My money is on it being the Henschel model as the road wheels are not spaced far enough apart to be the Porsche model.

when I see pictures like this lots of questions come up in my head:

1. is that a British officer/soldier?
2. what is that beautiful convertible?
3. where? France?
4. coloured picture or have the colours been added?
5. behind the JgdT...is that a building or a tank?
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2010, 17:33:43 »
ReplyReply

The location of those vehicles (that is indeed one Jagdtiger trying to tow another one!) is near Brackenheim (Germany) and they're of sPzJgAbt653. Apparently the second one broke down towing the other and both had to be abandoned.
Anyway, that definitely looks like a Henschel suspension - the Porsche one has much smaller roadwheels, and those would look different from that angle. And I think that 653. had no vehiclkes with Porsche suspension - but I don't have the book I'd need to confirm that. That guy is at least in service with the Commenwealth army (meanng it could also be a Canadian, Australian, Polish or Dutch soldier); the colors could be original. And to asnwer the last question: both - tank AND building. Grijns

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2010, 20:37:35 »
ReplyReply

The location of those vehicles (that is indeed one Jagdtiger trying to tow another one!) is near Brackenheim (Germany) and they're of sPzJgAbt653. Apparently the second one broke down towing the other and both had to be abandoned.
Anyway, that definitely looks like a Henschel suspension - the Porsche one has much smaller roadwheels, and those would look different from that angle. And I think that 653. had no vehiclkes with Porsche suspension - but I don't have the book I'd need to confirm that. That guy is at least in service with the Commenwealth army (meanng it could also be a Canadian, Australian, Polish or Dutch soldier); the colors could be original. And to asnwer the last question: both - tank AND building. Grijns

thx for the info bud!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166783 | Sitemap