29 March 2024, 07:25:53 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Panzer IV/70 compared with JagdPanzer IV  (Read 40822 times)
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« on: 19 January 2009, 20:22:19 »
ReplyReply

this Panzer IV/70(V) is in a museum in Ottawa, Canada.  Also known as the Sd.Kfz.162/1.

Armed with Panther's 7.5cm gun, about 1,200 produced.  (this from the ASL notes chapter on vehicles; this also mentions that it's long gun and heavy frontal armor made it hard to steer.)
[hirr]Leto
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2009, 22:36:10 »
ReplyReply

The IV/70 is overly prone to gun damage in Combat Mission modelling... I can see why... the fronal armor is dominated by the gun mantel.

Cheers!

Leto
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2009, 01:49:34 »
ReplyReply

I think I figured it out.  I used the IRL, but should have used the image code.

Jagdpanzer IV

Awesome!   Brede lach

***von Staudt***
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2009, 02:11:19 »
ReplyReply

What good would those skirts do to protect the suspension and tracks?  They don't look like they'd stop an atr round.
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2009, 04:06:49 »
ReplyReply

Tanker,

They are for protection from shaped charges, like the bazooka.  They set off the charge before it gets to the primary armor and prevents penetration.

Check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge

***von Staudt***
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2009, 18:19:26 »
ReplyReply

what is the 'scoring' called on the bottom two images?  did it help camoflague? (less glare/reflection from shiny metal in the sun, for example?)

'Schuerzen' (aprons) are modelled in ASL by doubling the lower die on the 'To Kill' dice roll if hit on a covered side.  the vehicle also loses its Sz if it enters a building/woods obstacle or rubble.  What does CM do?

no muzzle brake on the one in my image.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2009, 18:37:54 »
ReplyReply

Nope the paste you see is Zimmerit.

It had nothing to do with camouflage but this ceramic paste was used to protect the vehicle from magnetic mines.
The IV-L70 had the gun you see in the upper picture (without the muzzlebrake), I guess the museum put the other gun (which looks to me like the standard 75L46 STUG III gun) on the vehicle you see on the other picture.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2009, 19:46:00 »
ReplyReply

Tanker,

They are for protection from shaped charges, like the bazooka.  They set off the charge before it gets to the primary armor and prevents penetration.

Check out this link:

That would make more sense if they extended to the top to the vehicle.  As it is the top half is not covered by them.  Pehaps they felt the sloped armor would be less vulnerable to shaped charges?
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2009, 19:54:28 »
ReplyReply

what is the 'scoring' called on the bottom two images?  did it help camoflague? (less glare/reflection from shiny metal in the sun, for example?)

'Schuerzen' (aprons) are modelled in ASL by doubling the lower die on the 'To Kill' dice roll if hit on a covered side.  the vehicle also loses its Sz if it enters a building/woods obstacle or rubble.  What does CM do?

I'm not sure how CM handles Schuerzen.  I bet someone here does though.   Cool

There is a scroll bar under the three pictures so you can scroll over to see the muzzle brakes.

***von Staudt***
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2009, 19:55:43 »
ReplyReply

Tanker,

Check out this link:

That would make more sense if they extended to the top to the vehicle.  As it is the top half is not covered by them.  Pehaps they felt the sloped armor would be less vulnerable to shaped charges?

I think you are right about the slope.  On tank turrets they add the skirts there too.

***von Staudt***
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2009, 20:09:56 »
ReplyReply

PzIV/70 in CM using it's close-defence weapons
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2009, 19:44:12 »
ReplyReply

Nope the paste you see is Zimmerit.
It had nothing to do with camouflage but this ceramic paste was used to protect the vehicle from magnetic mines.
The IV-L70 had the gun you see in the upper picture(without the muzzlebrake), I guess the museum put the other gun( which looks to me like the standard 75L46 STUG III gun)on the vehicle you see on the other picture.

Ah, thanks, Stoffel!  I have heard of Zimmerit--and it, too, is modelled in ASL!--but I have never seen it, that I know of, and up so close.
rick
Private

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2009, 22:33:08 »
ReplyReply

I'm not sure how CM handles Schuerzen.  I bet someone here does though.   Cool

There is a scroll bar under the three pictures so you can scroll over to see the muzzle brakes.

I'm not sure in CM, but in Panzer Command: Kharkov, the vehicle's have defined "locations" and damage tables for those locations.  So to show the effect of the Schuerzen, you could add a model with Schuerzin and modify the penetration at the track locations when hit from the side.  There are some modifiers as well, but not sure how they would be used.

I haven't done any modelling but the tables are all in XML so it's easy to add stuff.  I looked and saw data for a couple of Pz IV' 70's but I didn't see a visual model (though one may have been added by now).

Rick

Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2009, 14:55:54 »
ReplyReply

Not exactly belonging here, but I'll answer: Schürzen are modelled in CM, though not for every vehicle. If the vehicle in question has indeed skirts as per rule, check the info screen for 'has skirts'. It does apply only in a very general way and not for every vehicle that historically carried skirts (Pamntehrs don't have that special rule, for example).

Apart from that there is a difference between teh different vehicles shown here - the top most is indeed a Panzer IV/70 (mid or late model), the others are, in fact, Jagdpanzer IV. No I know they have the same cahssis and armor (more or less), but the guns are different - the Jagdpanzer Iv carrying a L/48 75mm gun and the Panzer IV/70 a L/70 75mm (hence the name). Besides, there's still the differnece between the Panzer IV/70 manufactured by Alkett and those manufactured by Vomag. I can elaborate on this information if necessary. But don't confuse the different variants from now on anymore! Knipoog

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Mad Russian

« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2009, 01:47:10 »
ReplyReply

The top picture is of a JgPzIV/70. The pictures of the vehicles with the muzzle brakes on them are JgPzIV's.

There were 769 JgPzIV's made from January through November 1944.

There were 1208 JgPz IV/70, (930 JgPz IV/70 (V) and 278 JgPz IV/70(A)) made from August 1944 through March 1945.

These vehicles were known as "Guderian's Duck".

Good Hunting.

MR
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 June 2009, 18:07:42 »
ReplyReply

Since we have started this topic, here are a few pictures that allow a quick and halfway accurate recognition:

- Jagdpanzer IV (early)

- Jagdpanzer IV (late) [Befehls-Ausführung]

Modifications of the L/48 gun during serial production:

- PzIV/70(V) [August 1944]

- PzIV/70(V) [September-November 1944]

- PzIV/70(V) [November 1944-March 1945]

P.S.: These are, of course, not all modifications that happened during production, but the most important are shown. Mixing and macthing between variants happened with the JgdPzIV/PzIV/70 as well. But it is a start...
« Last Edit: 21 June 2009, 08:37:48 by Earl Grey » Logged

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2009, 13:01:22 »
ReplyReply

The top picture is of a JgPzIV/70. The pictures of the vehicles with the muzzle brakes on them are JgPzIV's.

There were 769 JgPzIV's made from January through November 1944.

There were 1208 JgPz IV/70, (930 JgPz IV/70 (V) and 278 JgPz IV/70(A)) made from August 1944 through March 1945.

These vehicles were known as "Guderian's Duck".

Good Hunting.

MR

some additional info:

Sd.Kfz.162 JagdPanzer IV L/48
Sturmgeschütz neuer Art mit 7.5cm Pak L/48 auf fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen IV
build at: Vomag
chassis: Pz IV Ausf. F (modified chassis)
numbers: 769
crew: 4

Gun: 7.5cm PaK 39 L/48
ammunition: 79: Panzergranatpatrone 39/42 (Pzgr.Patr.39) & Sprenggranatpatronen 37 (Sprgr.Patr.37)
secondary armament: MG-42 7.92mm
ammunition: 600 rounds

Engine: Maybach HL 120 TRM
Power: 300bHP 3000/min

Radio: FuG Spr f

Sd.Kfz.162 Panzer IV/70 (V)
build at: Vomag (V)
chassis: Pz IV Ausf. H (modified chassis)
numbers: 930

Gun: 7.5cm PaK 42 L/70
ammunition: 55: Panzergranatpatrone 39/42 (Pzgr.Patr.39/42)
close defense: MP44

Radio: FuG Spr f

Sd.Kfz.162 Panzer IV/70 Zwischenlösung
build at: Nibelungenwerke
chassis: Pz IV Ausf. J (Jagdpanzer superstructure mounted on original PzIV J chassis)
numbers: 278

Gun: 7.5cm PaK 42 L/70
ammunition: 60: Panzergranatpatrone 39/42 (Pzgr.Patr.39/42)
close defense: MP44

Radio: FuG 5
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 June 2009, 15:01:25 »
ReplyReply

For reasons of completeness a few pictures for identifying the PzIV/70(A):

- PzIV/70(A) prototype

- top, front and rear view

A little variation during production:

- 2 steel wheels

- 4 steel wheels

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44167104 | Sitemap