19 April 2024, 07:08:18 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Bridgelaying vehicle on PZ IV chassis.  (Read 13778 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 18 December 2013, 22:46:25 »
ReplyReply

Picture shows the bridgelayer or Bruckenleger for the German army.
As early as 1939 the commander of the armed forces asked the Heers procurement office to build a bridgelayer to be used by the armored engineerbatallions of the panzerdivisions.
Initially 50 vehicles were ordered.
6 vehicles (ausf C) had allready been chosen to be used for this new role.
In january 1940 the COC of the Heer asked to have at least 12 vehicles to be ready for use at the end of march that year.
Magirus and Krupp would provide the first vehicles.
Each panzerdivision would receive 3 vehicles.
By the end of april 20 vehicles were build, 30 were under contract.
1st to 5th panzerdivisions which allready had a 3 company strong engineer batallion were earmarked for delivery of the tanks.
The crews of these divisions received training, the other divisions (6th to 10th ) had to wait for the other vehicles to be ready.
The first prototype saw action during at an exhibition at Klausdorf.
An additional order of 60 vehicles was placed but only a month later high command canceled the order.
All existing vehicles were to be rebuild to tanks due to the shortage of PZ iVs.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2015, 18:50:53 »
ReplyReply

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2015, 18:58:06 »
ReplyReply

Another variant in the same category.
The Sturmsteg infanterie.
Alarge ladder mounted on the pz IV chassis, this enabled the infantry to overcome obstacles.
2 Vehicles would extend their ladders , than pioniere could lay planks between the ladders.

Source: Walter Spielberger, PZ IV and abarten

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44448868 | Sitemap