19 April 2024, 05:00:10 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Tasunka Witko ~ Crazy Horse  (Read 12491 times)
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« on: 26 June 2010, 04:05:48 »
ReplyReply

In honor of 'The Shirt Wearer'

Tasunka Witko - Ancient Warrior - Part I

Tasunka Witko - Ancient Warrior - Part II

Tasunka Witko - Ancient Warrior - Part III

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2010, 15:13:47 »
ReplyReply

He goes by the name of "Caballo Loco" in Spain, googeling will produce quite a few interesting links, some quite ore diversificaated thn the English language counterparts when googeling "Crazy Horse".

Just one question (and forgive my "wasichus" dumbness and ignorance in the respect), but wasn´t he strictly Sioux? Or is this the same/similar to being Lakhota/Nakhota/Dakhota? Or has it to do with the "Great Indian Nation" concept that included Kiowas as well? Wounded Knee? Oglalas? Sorry, I must have missed that part in my history classes (or it was not taught at my time)... I know "Sioux" is a French derivate, but have never really bothered to relate it to the realities on the ground.

Just to pay respect to the photographers of those years (you had to sit still, head fixed by screws for 12 minutes for pix like those in those years), here some:

Oso Blanco (White Bear), Kiowa, suicided in 1878:

Probably Caballo Loco (Crazy Horse), the source is not clear as for it being one of the few pix that exist of him, what is sure that it depicts a Sioux chief of the time period in question:

Taken in 1898 in Omaha, nobody knows apparently the person depicted, but there was an inscription on the back saying (translated): "The day of the sun has been my strength. The path of the moon will be my robe".

Another question, again out of pure ignorance: Is it true - as I have heard commented - that "hoka-hey" translates to "today is a good day to die"? How did this become the favorite attack cal for John Long Silvers pirates (AFAIK they never had direct American Indian influence, but the attaack caall has been documented more than once)?

Kind regards,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 26 June 2010, 16:31:44 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2010, 21:26:43 »
ReplyReply

...wasn´t he strictly Sioux? Or is this the same/similar to being Lakhota/Nakhota/Dakhota?

Sioux is the white man's name for the Lakota.

Probably Caballo Loco (Crazy Horse), the source is not clear as for it being one of the few pix that exist of him, what is sure that it depicts a Sioux chief of the time period in question

Im afraid you are mistaken. There are no known pictures of Crazy Horse the Shirt Wearer, though there may well have been other Crazy Horses. His father was a Holy Man and wore a different headdress so it wasn't a picture of that Crazy Horse either. Crazy Horse the Shirt wearer took his father's name when he had earned his title of warrior (his childhood name was 'Curly Hair'). Then you have the fact that he has never been described as having only one eye or a damaged eye. Crazy Horse died when he was 37, this picture depicts a much older person. Crazy Horse never wore the fancy regalia seen on many Chiefs. He never wore a War Bonnet or an Eagle Feather, he only wore a Hawk Feather in his hair. He did these things because of his experiences during his vision quest.

..."hoka-hey" translates to "today is a good day to die"? How did this become the favorite attack cal for John Long Silvers pirates

Yes it does. I suspect that since Robert Louis Stevenson was alive during the Indian Wars, and that he was a graduate of Edinburgh University (educated), he may have heard the term at sometime, and incorporated it into his story 'Treasure Island', which was first published in 1883, well after the legend of Crazy Horse had been circulated.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2010, 03:50:12 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the insight provided, care to elborte on the structure of the Lakota languge bit referring to Hoka-hey (I also heard commented that the phonetically close "Okay" stems from it?). I find it intersting that three silables should prodce such a diversificated and elaborated meaning?

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2010, 05:05:21 »
ReplyReply

care to elborte on the structure of the Lakota languge bit referring to Hoka-hey

Not sure what your asking me for here.

I also heard commented that the phonetically close "Okay" stems from it?

That seems entirely possible since one could also say, "It is Okay to die today"

My understanding of the Lakota language is virtually none existent, even though I have a couple of books including an English to Lakota dictionary. There are a lot of pronunciations that I dont understand since I dont hear people speaking the language daily.

Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2011, 01:28:47 »
ReplyReply

Having been born just 71 miles south of where Custer was killed I have been interested in the American West all my life.

Here are some quick facts about Crazy Horse:

Crazy Horse's real name was Tashunca Uitco, and he was best known for his bravery and ferocity in battle, he was also recognized in his tribe as an emotional leader who did his best to preserve the Lakota way of life. Even as a young man he was known for his bravery in battle, he stole horses from the neighboring Crow tribe as a boy and he led his first war party at the age of 20. As a man, he played a key role in war against white settlers in Wyoming, this war was led by Red Cloud, the chief of the Oglala tribe. He also was a major part in the fight against the brigade at Fort Kerny. Like I said before, Crazy Horse did not only lead his followers in battle but he was a spiritual leader as well, he did not let anyone take his photo and fought whites that tried to destroy or relocate his tribe homes or beliefs.

When the US Government ordered all of the Sioux tribe to a reservation, Crazy Horse led the resistance against it. He made an army of over 1,200 warriors from his and another tribe and fought back at the US troops who tried to force them to reservations. He also fought with Sitting bull and Gall, important members of the Sioux tribe, at the Battle of Little Bighorn. When Sitting Bull and Gall retreated to Canada from the US army, Crazy Horse stayed and kept on fighting. His army was defeated but he wasn't, he left his reservation without authorization and he was ordered to be arrested. He fought and struggled through his arrest and in the process his was killed with a bayonet.

While it's true he didn't like his picture taken, there may have been at least 1 photograph taken of him.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-crazyhorse.html

When I get time to go through my books I have a lot of information not only on Crazy Horse but other American Indian Leaders as well.

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44448037 | Sitemap