16 October 2021, 20:20:21 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Money of War  (Read 195290 times)
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: 27 January 2012, 07:04:24 »
ReplyReply

This 1 crown note from Bohemia & Moravia dates from 1940.  The wear indicates it saw a lot of use.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2012, 19:09:02 by Alan65 » Logged
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: 28 January 2012, 19:02:48 »
ReplyReply

This British Guiana 1 Dollar note was issued in 1942.  Not much fighting in South America during WWII but some troops from colonies and Brazil saw action.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2012, 19:09:17 by Alan65 » Logged
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: 28 January 2012, 19:20:24 »
ReplyReply

This Chinese 5 yuan note was issued in 1935, during the Japanese occupation war before WWII 'officially' started. 

A 10 yuan note issued in 1937.

Both notes were from the Bank of China and issued 'national' currency (as opposed to locally issued and used money.)  These notes were meant to be recognized everywhere within China.
A curious thing about these two is the tape marks on both end and the signature on the 10 yuan note.  I believe these were made into "short snorters" which were paper money taped together and signed by servicemen (and women!).  They were signed and often dated with even a ship the sailor served on listed.  Some I have are signed by captains of US navy ships.  The tape really detracts from the note and these have been separated.  I've seen strings of close to 40 pieces strung together and signed by 100 people.  The longer the strand the better (more rare.)  These are still curious pieces--and the only example of these particular notes in my collection--but if I find undamaged examples, I'll take them.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: 29 January 2012, 18:47:44 »
ReplyReply

These are more possible 'short snorter' notes.  All are Chinese and date from 1936-1944.  The top 5 are valued from 1 to 50 yuan and the last one is a 50 cent note from 1940.  Some Chinese banks used the yuan and some used cents and dollars.  This 50-cent note is from a Japanese puppet bank; one set up by the occupying Japanese authorities.  It may be in cents and dollars to distinguish it from the national currency units or because the Japanese authorities wanted to develop 'faith' in the money they were issuing and used the older dollar unit (which dated from the 19th century.)
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: 31 January 2012, 02:26:18 »
ReplyReply

I've recently found a lot more Chinese banknotes from wartimes so here are some more:

These are 5- 10- and 20 yuan notes from 1936, 1940 & 1941.  They are similar in design with Sun Yat Sen on the left although they come from 2 banks: The Bank of China and The Central Bank of China.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: 31 January 2012, 02:34:05 »
ReplyReply

This Bank of Communication 5 yuan note is dated 1914 and would have been used during WWI. I think the design is quite beautiful so have shown both the front and back of the note. 17 other cities besides Shanghai may be stamped on the back.  My 10 yuan note of the same design is shown quite a bit up-thread.
The American Banknote Company designed this note (among some others in this thread.)  They did US money in the 19th century as well as US stamps which today are considered 'classic' designs.  The ABC did many other nation's paper money and/or stamp design and printing.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: 1 February 2012, 05:26:10 »
ReplyReply

A 1942 issue 20 yuan note from the Central Bank of China.

A 1935 50 yuan note issued by the Farmer's Bank of China.

Here's the back side of the same bank's 10 yuan note.

The Farmer's Bank of China issued this 50 yuan note in 1942.  1942 was the last year this bank was allowed to issue its own banknotes.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: 2 February 2012, 03:00:57 »
ReplyReply

1940 50 cent banknote issued by The Central Reserve Bank of China which was a Japanese occupation forces puppet bank.

1940 5 yuan note from the Central Reserve Bank of China.

Here's the back side of the Central Reserve Bank of China's 1940 10 yuan note (the front looks pretty much like the 5 yuan note pictured above.)

Here's the banks 1943 10 yuan note; I think the quality in design and printing has started to decline as the war progresses.

The 1,000 yuan denominations shows inflation kicking in on this 1944 Central Reserve Bank of China banknote.

By 1944, the CRBoC was issuing 10,000 yuan notes; here's the back of one I own again showing the poor paper quality, design work and printing.

this is the front of the 1945 5,000 yuan note from the same bank.

This 1945 10 yuan note was intended to be used by Japanese military forces within China.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2 February 2012, 19:39:38 »
ReplyReply

how do you store your collection Alan?
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: 3 February 2012, 03:34:35 »
ReplyReply

My collection is stored in special sleeves made for currency. It keeps the notes safe from further damage or soiling (even oil from fingers) and then alphabetized by country in special boxes (acid-free paper) to further reduce deterioration.  I keep a list on index cards and a spreadsheet to know exactly what I have, what I paid, in which box it's stored, etc. I use Pick/Krause catalog numbers (fairly standard #s in numismatics) to order the currency within a country.   

Everything is also scanned and loaded to Photobucket or Flickr; here's a link to the collection of China banknotes on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38860277@N06/sets/72157623789163297/   Once you see my account name there, you can navigate through the various 'sets' to see other country's money.

the same basic method is used for postcards, too.  there is no catalog for postcards, though, so I just use my own ideas for varous topics and file the cards in that way.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: 4 February 2012, 01:03:53 »
ReplyReply

The 100 Kuna banknote issued by Croatia in May of 1941.

The 1,000 kuna note from 1943.

and here's the 5,000 kuna note from the same series.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: 4 February 2012, 01:09:19 »
ReplyReply

This 500 franc note was issued by the newly-liberated French government in 1944. 
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 4 February 2012, 19:30:24 »
ReplyReply

My collection is stored in special sleeves made for currency. It keeps the notes safe from further damage or soiling (even oil from fingers) and then alphabetized by country in special boxes (acid-free paper) to further reduce deterioration.  I keep a list on index cards and a spreadsheet to know exactly what I have, what I paid, in which box it's stored, etc. I use Pick/Krause catalog numbers (fairly standard #s in numismatics) to order the currency within a country.   

Everything is also scanned and loaded to Photobucket or Flickr; here's a link to the collection of China banknotes on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38860277@N06/sets/72157623789163297/   Once you see my account name there, you can navigate through the various 'sets' to see other country's money.

the same basic method is used for postcards, too.  there is no catalog for postcards, though, so I just use my own ideas for varous topics and file the cards in that way.

what do you have of Belgian currency?
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: 5 February 2012, 02:36:32 »
ReplyReply

There are just 21 different banknotes from Belgium. Here's a link to my Flickr set of them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38860277@N06/sets/72157623771409074/

this one's my favorite; nice art nouveau design.  100 francs, 1938 (the date is at top center)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 5 February 2012, 10:52:40 »
ReplyReply

There are just 21 different banknotes from Belgium. Here's a link to my Flickr set of them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38860277@N06/sets/72157623771409074/

<Quoted Image Removed>
this one's my favorite; nice art nouveau design.  100 francs, 1938 (the date is at top center)

there are some I still remember from my younger days, nice to see them again. Do you only collect banknotes or also coins?
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: 5 February 2012, 19:08:32 »
ReplyReply

well, I do collect coins, in general, and 'the coins of war' [coins issued during war-time] but I haven't organized them like my paper money collection.  The thing about coins is that there are often several mints in a country, more denominations in general, and new coins are issued every year.  A complete banknote collection is usually much smaller than a complete coin collection.  Plus, paper is cheaper than silver or gold; it's just easier in many ways to collection banknotes.
Belgium and Russia are two countries -- besides the US -- that I collect all coins and stamps (not just war-time issues).  I've lived in both countries and really appreciate their history, culture and people.

When I'm done listing all of my paper money, I'll scan some coins to share here, too!
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 5 February 2012, 19:19:39 »
ReplyReply

well, I do collect coins, in general, and 'the coins of war' [coins issued during war-time] but I haven't organized them like my paper money collection.  The thing about coins is that there are often several mints in a country, more denominations in general, and new coins are issued every year.  A complete banknote collection is usually much smaller than a complete coin collection.  Plus, paper is cheaper than silver or gold; it's just easier in many ways to collection banknotes.
Belgium and Russia are two countries -- besides the US -- that I collect all coins and stamps (not just war-time issues).  I've lived in both countries and really appreciate their history, culture and people.

When I'm done listing all of my paper money, I'll scan some coins to share here, too!

the reason I ask is because I have a little 'jar' with coins and I'll gladly send you some... for free ofcourse  hihi
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: 9 February 2012, 03:26:00 »
ReplyReply

Et, voila:  the 1942 French Guyana 5 franc banknote.  
« Last Edit: 9 February 2012, 03:37:22 by Alan65 » Logged
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: 9 February 2012, 03:30:12 »
ReplyReply

Here's the French West Africa 25 franc note dated 1942; I like it so much, I'm showing both the front and back.  The French government issued stamps and money for regions of many of their colonies, not each individual colony.  Thus you see French West Africa, French Equitorial Africa, French Indo-China, etc.
« Last Edit: 9 February 2012, 03:36:58 by Alan65 » Logged
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: 9 February 2012, 03:34:16 »
ReplyReply

this 20 mark Allied Occupation of Germany money differs from one I posted above by a small but significant (to collectors) detail:  it has a 9-digit serial number as opposed to an 8-digit number followed by a dash (-)  It makes the value 2 and a half times more!
Pages:  1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 37268164 | Sitemap