29 March 2024, 11:53:33 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: KingTiger Ardennes diorama build-up  (Read 28847 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2009, 21:28:12 »
ReplyReply

Dont forget to check for Francois Verlindens tip on facial painting.
He uses oil paints instead of enamel.
It takes some practice but, worth the efforts!

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2009, 22:27:07 »
ReplyReply

THIS is what I mean  Tong

Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2009, 05:58:59 »
ReplyReply

Koen,
  Well, of course you'd go for the first class ace level.  What an amazing diorama.  It didn't catch at first that this was 1/16 scale, but when I saw the incredible details in the figures faces, it hit me.  Yep, this thing is huge, 3 feet by 2 feet.  This would be a dream diorama, that's for sure.

As an aside, I have personally laid hands on the King Tiger displayed in that diorama, as I've been by Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, where it is located.  Still, my favorites were the Jagdpanther and the Sturmgeschütz III.   

Koen, you are going to have to keep us posted when you start your project.  We will need pictures!!

Heinrich505
Mad Russian

« Reply #23 on: 19 February 2009, 14:17:22 »
ReplyReply

The one thing I note in that diorama is that not everybody is wearing winter weather clothes. I would do some heavy research into that. Those in the Panzer Grey look out of place against the heavily clothed infantry.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 February 2009, 19:36:08 »
ReplyReply

that is a thing I've seen in more dioramas...the whole place covered in snow and mud....except for the units and tank(s)

my diorama will be dirty...

tanks will be heavy covered with snow, dirt and mud and IN the ground...60 tons on snowy grounds?...it sinks!
Mad Russian

« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2009, 00:01:56 »
ReplyReply

I've also been to Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, the Tiger I was in Germany being refurbished but the rest were interesting. I think I have digital pictures of the tanks. I'll have to look in my photo archive.....also been to the artillery park at Ft. Sill Oklahoma. Was stationed there for awhile too.

The Patton Museum in Kentucky is good too. They have a King Tiger as well.

Pictures of tanks and AFV's in German in the mid 70's by the box full in the garage too.

You want to be careful when you build a diorama using figures to have them all match. Don't grab a set of summer dressed figures to put in your winter diorama. Look at the way the schwimmwagen driver is dressed compared to the rest. Why is that? He's with the same unit. More than likely in the exact same company.

Answer: He's from another kit and doesn't match. Not good....

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 February 2009, 14:58:18 »
ReplyReply

is this one correct?
Mad Russian

« Reply #27 on: 20 February 2009, 15:09:29 »
ReplyReply

Here is a link I found for King Tigers in the Ardennes:

King Tigers in the Ardennes

There was one color drawing I saw. I'll look for some more this weekend.

Some comments on the camouflage used for KT's....

Crews applying field camouflage. A pattern of red brown and dark green over a yellow base was common. Beginning in February 1944, camouflage was done at the factory, and by November 1944, it was altered to a base dark green with red brown and dark yellow pattern.

King Tiger Photo Gallery

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2009, 15:22:40 »
ReplyReply

Tiger II number 332 of s. SS-Pz.Abt. 501 crosses the border into Belgium at the beginning of the offensive (courtesy of the artist, Jody Harmon)
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 February 2009, 15:51:45 »
ReplyReply

Was on a cross country trip after my second season in a fire tower, oh what I got to see...

Aberdeen Proving Grounds *raises hand* me too!
Custer's Battlefield at the Little BigHorn
Gettysburg
Vietnam Memorial (1st visit, all but landscaping done)
Air & Space Museum
Bull Run
Fredricksburg
Chancellorsville
Wilderness
Spotsylvania
Petersburg
Bentonville
Lookout Mountain
Missionary Ridge
Chickamauga
Vicksburg

What a long strange trip that was. Though where the pics are is a whole 'nother adventure...

ays,

J

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Vlaminck
Private

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 4 April 2010, 21:15:45 »
ReplyReply

So, did you make the dio?
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 5 April 2010, 09:52:32 »
ReplyReply

So, did you make the dio?

no, I haven't got the space....when you start something up like this you should have a place where it can stay without moving all the time....
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 March 2011, 22:02:39 »
ReplyReply

The first group of PG's you show are no good for the Ardennes Henk. They have summer uniforms. The Ardennes was COLD. I would use only infantry in winter clothing for a diorama centered in that campaign.

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44169839 | Sitemap