17 October 2021, 05:55:51 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: WWII Strategic/Operational Computer Game  (Read 4224 times)
bongotastic
Sergeant

Canada

View Profile WWW
« on: 8 February 2009, 00:03:21 »
ReplyReply

Hi,
    I began wargaming with monsters WWII wargames such as World-in-flames and Third Reich. Actually, WiF acted for a whole year as an unpaying roomate as it took up a whole bedroom to keep setup for 8 months. I really miss pushing a large number of counters. I've played an old DOS game called High Command, which was pretty good, but this was a very long time ago.

Do anyone on WaT know of a grand strategy game with research/production, Corp-level covering either the whole war or one of the major theater? The computer version of WiF has been "in development" for about 10 years now (at least it feels like it), and I'm not expecting it to hit the shelves anytime soon. The AI isn't necessary as I'd either play solo or with a few WiF old timers.

Here are some candidates, do you know them?

WWII - Road to Victory
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/361/details/World.War.II.-.Road.to.Victory

COmmander- Europe at war
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/344/details/Commander.-.Europe.at.War

World at War
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/330/details/Gary.Grigsby%27s.World.at.War:.A.World.Divided

Strategic command 2
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=74&Itemid=117

Thanks,

Christian
« Last Edit: 8 February 2009, 00:30:42 by bongotastic, Reason: links added. » Logged

Hobbying on less than an hour per day.
Iraq, 2008 : www.opcon.org/SadrCity/
Italy, 1361 : www.opcon.org/drupal/
rick
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2009, 20:08:31 »
ReplyReply

Christian,

The only one of those that I've played is Commander - Europe at War.  It was a good game, gave me a feel similar to 3R.  But I have to admit, I didn't play it long.  My interest has lately been in Operational and Tactical.

You might check out the AT Forums at Matrix as well- AT is pretty flexible and has a large following for one of the scenarios called WaW, and it's a Grand Strategy.

Rick
Mad Russian

« Reply #2 on: 2 March 2009, 06:55:17 »
ReplyReply

I'm patiently waiting for World in Flames. They say they WILL RELEASE IT IN JULY....one can always hope so. Been years in the making.

Good Hunting.

MR
bongotastic
Sergeant

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2 March 2009, 23:05:37 »
ReplyReply

I'm curious to see how a single turn of WiF will feel like in PBEM. I can see a naval impulse with a carrier battle last for a while...

Hobbying on less than an hour per day.
Iraq, 2008 : www.opcon.org/SadrCity/
Italy, 1361 : www.opcon.org/drupal/
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 3 March 2009, 03:13:46 »
ReplyReply

World at War by matrix is a great game.  Can be played in teams such as One person takes Western Allies (US, UK) his team mate takes Russia and China and 2 opponents take Germany and Japan.

It's not overly complex but very enjoyable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 37291485 | Sitemap