29 March 2024, 06:42:56 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: K-21. South Korea's new APC/IFV  (Read 9663 times)
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« on: 21 March 2010, 04:02:14 »
ReplyReply

http://shutwho.blogspot.com/2010/03/k21-ifv-aka-nifv.html

New APC/IFV.
This blog entry's got lots of photos and some video as well.  Some quite rare on the internet as I know.

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2010, 04:53:20 »
ReplyReply

Looks like a copy of the Bradley to me.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2010, 08:10:47 »
ReplyReply

Sure looks they took some of the M2/M3 design features, which is not much of a surprise for two reasons:

For one, the Bradley has proven very effective in Desert Storm: Of the 2,200 Bradleys involved in Operation Desert Storm, only three were disabled. In fact, more enemy armored vehicles were destroyed by Bradleys than by the Abrams Main Battle Tanks! Second, with todays computers you will come to rather similar solutions to similar problems/challenges.

OTOH, the 40mm cannon seems to outpower the Brads 25mm one by quite a bit in range an punch (if not in rate of fire), and if I understand it right they can not only fire their ATGM while on the move, but also do not need to exit to reload?

As for the pontoons, I heard the newer Bradleys have a similar system (they had a water barrier first), but it must be manually attached? Anybody can confirm this?

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2010, 10:03:28 »
ReplyReply

For one, the Bradley has proven very effective in Desert Storm: Of the 2,200 Bradleys involved in Operation Desert Storm, only three were disabled. In fact, more enemy armored vehicles were destroyed by Bradleys than by the Abrams Main Battle Tanks! Second, with todays computers you will come to rather similar solutions to similar problems/challenges.

In my opinion, that  hardly is ana rgument, since the Iraqi Army wasn neither as well-trained nor as well-equipped as the U.S. Army. Pit them against a decent enemy and we'll see how the Bradley fares... I know I've lost A LOT of those to AT missiles when playing CM:Shock Force. Grijns

I agree, though, that there aren't really any design alternative for an APC/IFV these days. Nontheless I think this K-21 looks a lot more like a British MCV-80 'Warrior': http://www.enemyforces.net/apc/mcv_80_warrior.htm
And waht's the second reason why the K-21 has taken the Bradley as role model?

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2010, 10:12:53 »
ReplyReply

The Bradleys are nowadays equiped with a 35mm cannon.
With the K1 MBT the Koreans also followed the M1 Abrahms.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2010, 17:19:14 »
ReplyReply

Sure looks they took some of the M2/M3 design features, which is not much of a surprise for two reasons:

OTOH, the 40mm cannon seems to outpower the Brads 25mm one by quite a bit in range an punch (if not in rate of fire), and if I understand it right they can not only fire their ATGM while on the move, but also do not need to exit to reload?

As for the pontoons, I heard the newer Bradleys have a similar system (they had a water barrier first), but it must be manually attached? Anybody can confirm this?

Rattler

All Bradleys are amphibious. Early models were equipped with a water barrier, which is erected by the crew before entering the water – a procedure that takes about 30 minutes. Later models have an inflatable pontoon, which fits on the front and sides of the vehicle. This pontoon is inflated in about 15 minutes, and is continuously pressurized during operation. The pontoon is compartmentalized to provide protection against sinking in the event of rupture of the pontoon. Water propulsion is provided by tracks which propel the vehicle at about 4 MPH.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2010, 19:14:34 »
ReplyReply

Early models were equipped with a water barrier, which is erected by the crew before entering the water – a procedure that takes about 30 minutes. Later models have an inflatable pontoon, which fits on the front and sides of the vehicle. This pontoon is inflated in about 15 minutes, and is continuously pressurized during operation. The pontoon is compartmentalized to provide protection against sinking in the event of rupture of the pontoon

Monty, this sounds almost 1:1 - for not to say verballly if my memory is correct (the "water barrier" phrase got stuck with me as you can see from my post) - like what I remember from the fas.org take on M2/M3 from my TacOps Bradley learning tour +5 yrs ago (I am not a vehicle crack - all about planes, you might find a serious source with me - but, personally, I would appreciate to see such things quoted officially if they indeed came from an external source (mainly to honor the peoople who made the effort to write the data up), no problem with it as long as the shot is called, I am sure many net sources fall back to the scientists indeed, and no problem for our users neither falling back to such sources, that is what they are there for, after all).

Point in question: Are those pontoons manually added to the structure, or inflated on "push of a button" like with the Korean IFV, all automated?

What is it with the "front" and "sides" in comparison to the (seemingly) just side pontoons of the K-21? Generation differences (which would not suprise me 15 yrs later)? Or not (which would not suprise me neither, no reason to invent the wheel twice)?

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2010, 19:08:10 »
ReplyReply

some video footage:

K-21 - The Best IFV in the World.

New K-21 South Korea Army NIFV

with demonstration of pontoons
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2010, 20:16:45 »
ReplyReply

Looks more to the CV 90, specially the turret.
I can be wrong about the Bradley but I was under the impression that it became to heavy with the add on armor and heavier gun to be able to swim.
There have been accidents with the smaller Dutch YPR 765 version during trials for swimming, so maybe safety regulations?

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2010, 01:56:01 »
ReplyReply

This is the Bradley:

So immediately it looks pretty different.
It's got a boxy body and a turret with a missile launcher on the side.  But that's really about it.

The K21 is slightly faster at 70kph opposed to the M2/M3's 66kph.
Their range is about the same, but apparently the K21's is marginally longer.

The power to weight ratio is 19.7hp per ton on the Bradley and 29.6hp per ton on the K21.

The Bradley typically can't carry much passengers, but the K21 has space for 9 infantrymen. This comes at the expense of ammunition capacity.  The M2/M3 can carry about 900 rounds but the K21 carries only 200.

Bradley's gun is 35mm.  K21's is 40mm.

Haven't seen the Bradley shoot down aircraft with its main gun, but the K21 obviously can.

The real differences are probably under the skin though.

EDIT: Modded the pic size down to more believable relations, TA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166598 | Sitemap