28 March 2024, 09:22:29 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Books: What you SHOULD/MUST read!  (Read 18418 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 28 November 2008, 23:31:30 »
ReplyReply

'The history of Signaal' by Ludwig Verduyn / OKW 1940-1945 [1984]

I haven't found any info on not-Dutch publications.

ISBN 90 6749 001 6

« Last Edit: 2 January 2009, 11:31:56 by Koen » Logged
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 1 January 2009, 02:28:03 »
ReplyReply

Give a look to "900 Days:The Siege of Leningrad" by Salisbury.  I believe I'm correct with the title and the author, as it has been years since I read it.  It is a fascinating account of the epic WW2 siege.
BlueSixGolf
Private 1st class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2009, 08:36:58 »
ReplyReply

Anything by Robert M. Citino.

Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 7 March 2009, 06:53:04 »
ReplyReply

For students of the eastern front, and anyone interested in a top notch book.....

HELL'S GATE: The Battle of the Cherkassy Pocket January to February 1944   by Douglas Nash

This is one well-crafted book of amazing detail on the battle.  I was stunned by the number of interviews that author Nash wove into this book.  It is pricy, but worth every penny. 

Another suggestion is ANYTHING by Jason Mark.  His coverage of Stalingrad is the present gold standard.  His attention to detail and research are beyond belief.

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 7 March 2009, 11:36:43 »
ReplyReply

Give a look to "900 Days:The Siege of Leningrad" by Salisbury.  I believe I'm correct with the title and the author, as it has been years since I read it.  It is a fascinating account of the epic WW2 siege.

tried to read it...but I got lost several times in the lists of soldier X from regiment Y of the Z division from the 1st army of the westrussian front told soldier Y from....from.... etc etc....
British Tommy
Private 1st class

Wales

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 4 April 2009, 20:49:18 »
ReplyReply

'War without garlands' by Robert Kershaw.
Only a few photos in the book but his writing about the Eastern Front is superb!  smallclap
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 6 April 2009, 02:58:13 »
ReplyReply

British Tommy,
  War Without Garlands by Robert Kershaw is truly an excellent book.  There are some amazing accounts of the vicious battles early on.  I have the hard-back version, and that was full of some really good photographs.  I guess they couldn't add many for the re-issue.  Still, for the writing alone, it is well worth picking up for your library.

Heinrich505
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 6 April 2009, 15:10:13 »
ReplyReply

"Hell In a Very Small Place" by Bernard Fall.

Story of Dien Bien Phu.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 6 April 2009, 20:46:51 »
ReplyReply

"Hell In a Very Small Place" by Bernard Fall.

Intrigue me...Huh?

R<attler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 6 April 2009, 21:33:54 »
ReplyReply

It was the defining battle in 1954 (circa) which lead to the French abandoning Indochina.

Intriguing for the political machinations and military blunders behind the scenes which lead to the sacrifice of 15,000 French, Morrocan, Algerian, Foreign legion and native auxilaries.
Interestingly, the author, Bernard Fall was killed in Viet-Nam in 1966 by stepping on a mine while accompanying US troops.  This was a year after he completed the book.  He was well experienced in Indochina as it was previously called.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 5 July 2009, 02:46:15 »
ReplyReply

A most enlightening representation of the US governments continuing victimization of native Americans on the reservation. It is a detailed investigation into the govts charges against Leonard Peltier for the death of two FBI agents in 1975, which quite clearly shows that the man serving two consecutive life sentences is deserving of a new trial if not a pardon.

"In the Spirit of Crazy Horse"  by Peter Matthiessen

And the companion documentary narrated by Robert Redford.

Linky for video..."Incident at Oglala"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4219825247691110146
« Last Edit: 5 July 2009, 11:30:18 by FACman » Logged

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2009, 18:41:44 »
ReplyReply

I just bought the book:
Sledgehammers, Strength and flaws of tigerbatallions in the second world war.

The prologue is written by Otto Carius( tiger ace) and the Epiloques by two tiger killers Iskrow and Holt.
The book describes the different units , its men, the tactics.
But also gives the reasons why the failed sometimes, the technical dilemmas, wrong tactical use and so on.
The book has detailed info about many battlefields which saw tigers in actions, together with maps.

ISBN: 0-9717650-2-2
Aberjona press

updated July 20th 2009:

Wow,

After reading spielbergers books I thought that most of the flaws in the tech department were solved for the Tiger 1s.
But after reading through this latest book and Jentz.....
Most batallions started combat with 45 tanks and ended up with 3 or 4 running tanks after a few days of fighting.
Most were destroyed by their crews because of tracks,automotive/running gear and transmission problems.
Even as late as end 1944.
Some things were funny to read though.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2009, 15:15:30 »
ReplyReply

"The Journey of Crazy Horse" by Joseph M. Marshall III

A well written biography of the man known as Crazy Horse, by a descendant of the community that raised the legendary Lakota Warrior. The author shares with us a vision of Crazy Horse formed by having lived and learned, through the traditional 'Oral' history as well as the academic disciplines. We thereby, through this book, begin to see Crazy Horse as the Lakota know and remember him.

ISBN: 0-670-03355-3 (HC)
         0 14 30.3621 1 (PB)

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2009, 20:52:34 »
ReplyReply

Yooooohooooooooooo, Panzertruppen 2 from Jentz just arrived!!!!!!

Koen: edit: post a review into this post afterwards plz

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mad Russian

« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2009, 04:55:43 »
ReplyReply

Yooooohooooooooooo, Panzertruppen 2 from Jentz just arrived!!!!!!

Koen: edit: post a review into this post afterwards plz

That book is well worth waiting for. My copy is about worn out.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2009, 20:00:04 »
ReplyReply

"Battle for Antwerp"

ISBN 90 6045 141 4

General-Major J.L. Moulton CB / DSO / OBE
commanding officer Royal Marines Commando during Normandy - Antwerp & Walcheren
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2009, 21:19:51 »
ReplyReply

A most enlightening representation of the US governments continuing victimization of native Americans on the reservation. It is a detailed investigation into the govts charges against Leonard Peltier for the death of two FBI agents in 1975, which quite clearly shows that the man serving two consecutive life sentences is deserving of a new trial if not a pardon.

"In the Spirit of Crazy Horse"  by Peter Matthiessen

<Quoted Image Removed>

And the companion documentary narrated by Robert Redford.
<Quoted Image Removed>

Linky for video..."Incident at Oglala"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4219825247691110146

completely missed this post before, fascinating, I got stuck the whole hour+ glued to the screen, any updates yet?

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
SeanG

« Reply #17 on: 28 September 2009, 10:44:58 »
ReplyReply

Fighting for the French Foreign Legion
(A Scotsman in the FFL)
by Alex Lochrie Cpl Chef 2eme REP

edit by Koen: http://www.amazon.com/FIGHTING-FRENCH-FOREIGN-LEGION-Legionnaire/dp/1848840853
# ISBN-10: 1848840853
# ISBN-13: 978-1848840850

« Last Edit: 28 September 2009, 11:39:51 by SeanG » Logged
Mad Russian

« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2009, 00:36:45 »
ReplyReply

"The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943 - 1944" Volume Two of the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson.

It's just as good as the first volume:

"An Army At Dawn"

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 October 2009, 09:51:25 »
ReplyReply

completely missed this post before, fascinating, I got stuck the whole hour+ glued to the screen, any updates yet?

Rattler

Unfortunately, no. However, with a man of color in the WH, I suspect he stands a better chance for a pardon. Barring that, he will die in prison, for a crime he didnt commit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44151442 | Sitemap