29 March 2024, 07:11:29 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Restrepo  (Read 5578 times)
Gomez
Sergeant

View Profile
« on: 26 January 2011, 08:19:48 »
ReplyReply

RESTREPO is a feature-length documentary that chronicles the deployment of a platoon of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley. The movie focuses on a remote 15-man outpost, "Restrepo," named after a platoon medic who was killed in action. It was considered one of the most dangerous postings in the U.S. military. This is an entirely experiential film: the cameras never leave the soldiers; there are no interviews with generals or diplomats. The only goal is to make viewers feel as if they have just been through a 90-minute deployment. This is war, full stop. The conclusions are up to you.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/restrepo-afghan-outpost-4808/

I have seen this documentary around 5/6 times already and I highly recommend it to anyone interested. It's one of the best I've seen and having watched numerous videos and new reports about the fighting in Afghanistan, this documentary makes it very personal. I suggest trying to catch it when it is played on the National Geographic Channel as well as renting the DVD and also seeing the extra features it has. Both have some footage that is different and the extended interviews that the TV version has weren't on the DVD from what I could find.

Trailer
"Restrepo" Trailer

Cara Mia
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 11:16:20 »
ReplyReply

Yes, very interesting document.
I saw it on National Geographic, same day they broadcasted the Dutch docu, Fokking Hell which is also worth  your time.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 18:01:40 »
ReplyReply

interesting, big thx for briefing us!
Gomez
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 20:51:05 »
ReplyReply

Yes, very interesting document.
I saw it on National Geographic, same day they broadcasted the Dutch docu, Fokking Hell which is also worth  your time.

It was, but if you can see the DVD then I'd suggest you do that as it has more footage and the extra stuff is well worth the rental.

And Dutch!?? Didn't hear about that one. I'll check it out thanks! And also you might be interested in Armadillo which follows the Danes as well, though I haven't been able to get my hands on it.

Cara Mia
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 21:14:37 »
ReplyReply

Fokking hell is also available on DVD.
I saw some parts of Armadillo on the news.
There was a lot of opposition (mostly from politicians)  against the Danish soldier who killed 4 Tailbans with a grenade.
After the detonation he jumped in their trench and shot them, to be sure.
Some years ago you would have received a medal for such an action but today things changed.... Bedroefd
Claims were that the soldier acted inhumane (for whats that worth)
For some decades now politicians sent our men out to fight wars, often with their hands tight.
However they seem to have forgotten the ugly face of warfare.
War is hel, ugly and horrable.

Maybe if they finally understand this, our men wont be sent on useless missions in the future.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166925 | Sitemap