30 May 2020, 17:18:06 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: WWII German Small Arms: MG 34  (Read 3947 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 21 October 2015, 09:51:43 »
ReplyReply

MG 34.

First tested in 1929 and produced by the Germans from 1934, violating the Versailles treaty.
recognized as the first true general-purpose machinegun. Loved by the infantry for its low weight of 12,7 kilos.
It had an unmatched rate of fire for that time of 900 rounds a minute.
From 1936 Hitler violated the Versailles treaty and started rearming the German army.
In that year the mg was isuued in large numbers, first war test were made in the Spanish civilian war.
Its versatile usage was shown in its multiple roles, used as a squad weapon, anti aircraft and selfdefence/coax role on vehicles and tanks.
Belt fed or with 50 round drum magazines, fired from its organic bipod or on a tripod in the infantrysupport role.
Armored cars and tanks had a special metal attachment ring on their turrets.
The gun saw extensive duty in the early days of the war.
From 1942 the newer MG42 entered service which was an improved model, modified and with a 5,56 mm calibre it is still in use by several countries today.

Loading a tripod mounted mg34.
The tripod could be used in several ways.
On the left side it had two periscopes, a gunner could fire the weapon using the upper sight exposing himself to fire or he could use the lower sight and stay prone.
In that position the gunner was able to fire without exposing himself.
Notice the loader stays as low on the ground as possible.
Another handy feature was the barrelchange.
All the gunner had to do was pull back a small handle on the right of the weapon and he could remove the heated barrel.
After that he could replace it and make the weapon ready again.
A well trained crew did that in a few seconds.

Mg34 in anti-aircraftrole with ground tripod.

Mg34 in anti-aircraftrole on tank turretmount.

Mg34 on infantrysupport tripodmount.

MG34 squadweapon with bipod used in a typical German firing position.

Same pose but in AAA role.

Sources: Wiki/ Fallschirmjaeger.net/ bergflak.com and more
« Last Edit: 21 October 2015, 10:52:58 by stoffel » Logged

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2015, 10:44:44 »
ReplyReply

Ammo and magazines.

The MG34 and 42 used the standard 7.92x57mm  Mauser cartridge.
The rounds were belted and used from different types of magazines and boxes.

50 rounds belt ammo stored in a metal ammobox.

50 or 75 round drum mainly used on tanks and occasionally by infantry.

Double 50 round drum mainly used on tanks.

Sources: Wiki/ Fallschirmjaeger.net/ bergflak.com and more

« Last Edit: 21 October 2015, 11:03:52 by stoffel » Logged

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 29205936 | Sitemap