20 April 2024, 11:14:31 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: WWII German panzers & AFV's: Q&A  (Read 34358 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2010, 22:42:39 »
ReplyReply

Dicker Max

Sturer Emil
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2010, 22:56:43 »
ReplyReply

As far as I can tell, all these vehicles were prototypes that were conducting field tests. If they performed well - all the better. Either way it seems that most of these prototypes (and there were A LOT more on the PzIV chassis) never made it to production stage becaue of desin stages/costs/capabilities/etc.
One of the greatest drawbacks with such vehicles is the very low amount of rounds they can carry. Coupled with the fact that most transport within the Wehrmacht was still horse-drawn, you get very big supply problems very soon. These vehicles need a constant supply of rounds to function effectively for a longer time. And I guess it just wasn't effective enough - just liek a lot other German tanks never were.

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2010, 23:11:16 »
ReplyReply

Actually this leads me to wonder why they never utilised the Czech or French production lines more than they did for the production of specialty vehicles or even transport.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2010, 09:50:12 »
ReplyReply

So where does this fit in the development process...

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2010, 13:38:33 »
ReplyReply

That is a model and no real tank that has ever seen the light of day. It is based on the E-100 by a number of enthusiasts thinking about the face of the Wehrmacht had the war continued well beyond 1945 and had Germany still had the resoures to built such tanks. Better just forget about it, it's just that: not real and very likely not even planned although those enthusiasts make you believe so.

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2010, 18:49:13 »
ReplyReply

That isnt difficult to discern hence the question about where it fell into the design process, was there ever to be a Tiger III?

I was under the impression everything was to be consolidated into the E series, there was also rumoured to be a design off the Tiger II chassis using a much smaller turret.

Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2010, 19:38:45 »
ReplyReply

Most of that is conjecture. There have been plans for all sorts of things and various prototypes of one kind or another, but we'll never know for sure what was meant to be real and waht not. A lot of those projects very likely were meant for propaganda purposes (and a few indeed were, like the so-called PzIX and PzX).
There aren't too many books about those vehicles either (I think only two or three at the most) and from those all these vehicles are extrapolated in connection with some technical developments that came after the war. If you look closely you'll find that most of the time it's one and the same guy posting about all of these 'Heer 1946' tanks...

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 March 2010, 20:29:07 »
ReplyReply

I had a quick look at work but now home and better looking I see parts of the picture are more a painting than a picture

thx Earl Grey for the info  salute
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 18 March 2010, 20:39:31 »
ReplyReply

Monty,

If you can get a copy of Spielbergers tiger book than you get a lot of info about the different tiger prototypes.
The one with the smaller turret could have been a modified panther turret with 88 mm gun.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 March 2010, 21:18:28 »
ReplyReply

There also is a Spielberger book about prototypes and trial vehicles in general, but I think it's pretty old by now and esepcially the last ten years have seen a lot of new discoveries. In the end, we just don't know enough about the stuff still in development because lots of documents were lost due to the bombing raids. And others are being withheld in private collections... Who knows where we'll be in another ten years?

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 7 June 2012, 06:50:20 »
ReplyReply

First one hasn't been identified for years and probabaaly never will... as far as I'm aware we don't even know where that picture was taken. Probabaly Germany.

Second one is most likely a "Wiking" Panther in Poland, 1944, around Kovel.

No idea yet on the third picture.

There are pictures in circulation of the first Panther and they are captioned "Panther abandoned in French village 1944"

Various sites have identified these vehicles as belonging to Panzer Regiment 15, 11th Panzer Division
« Last Edit: 7 June 2012, 10:17:52 by MontyB » Logged

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 September 2012, 06:00:40 »
ReplyReply

Now I have to modify my own information as it appears to be incorrect.

After more research into the picture it would appear that most information leans towards it being a Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausf. G of the 11th Panzer at a collection point around Hof in Bavaria May 1945.

The only other unit considered a possibility is 2nd Panzer.

But who knows what else may turn up as there are a large number of forums attempting to research those pictures.

Here is another of the same vehicle...

The above photo was taken by John Ingram of the 90th Infantry Division 359th Regiment Co F
« Last Edit: 19 September 2012, 06:45:50 by MontyB » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 September 2012, 19:56:28 »
ReplyReply

how many vehicles were 'left behind' at that bridge Huh?
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 September 2012, 21:14:35 »
ReplyReply

There looks to be 4 in those pictures.

Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44462850 | Sitemap