19 November 2017, 11:34:37 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum has been heavily streamlined to help you find your place of interest faster. Hope you like it!

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: WaT Zoo Exhibit #11: Rukhsana Kausar - Farm Girl With A Gun  (Read 6539 times)
Rattler
Local Moderator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 15 December 2009, 20:35:22 »
ReplyReply

Rukhsana Kausar, a 21 year old Cashmere farm girl, heard one night end of September 2009 how someobdy entered her house. She was with her parents and brother in her farm in Jammu when three gunmen, who said they belonged to "Laskhar e Toyba" (the terrorist organisation from Pakistan that executed the Bombay attacks), forced their way in and demanded food and beds for the night, something quite usual for the area.

Her father denied the requests and the men attacked and beat him. But a Cashmere proverb says that the houshold is a castle, and the woman of the house is it´s queen, and young Rukhsana was not disposed to allow intruders in. Hearing how the men beat her father she came out from under the bed where she had hidden, grabbed an axe and attacked the gunmen. She wrought the gun out of the hands of one and shot him several times, the others fled inot the mountains. Later she said she had never fired an assault rifle before but had seen it in films and could not stand by while her father was being hurt. “I couldn’t bear my father’s humiliation. If I’d failed to kill him, they would have killed us,” she said.

On the next day the young farm girl became a national heroine, her attitude explored by the government to the fullest: She received a decoration, got offered a job as Special Agent in the police forces and got promised 4000 USD (in the end she recived just 75).

Rukhsana Kausar, the girl from Rajouri district in Jammu & Kashmir,
who killed a Lashkar-e-Taiba commander in September,
being felicitated by All-India Anti-Terrorist Front chairman M.S. Bitta in New Delhi.

About a month later, the farm of Rukhsana was attacked with grenades and burnt to th ground while Rukhsana herself was at the police quarters to pass a quick gun training course before entering the local police force.

Despite the Cashmere goverment offering her a new farm in another area of the country Rukhsana came to the conlcusion that her flirt with fire arms had ended, she renounced her job at the police and stopped posing for press photos with an AK 47.

At a hommage for the terrorism victims of the Bombay attacks, she told press that she did not believe that force could be a solution for the terrorist problem and declared herself to be a fervent follower of Ghandi and his ideas.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2009, 21:29:43 »
ReplyReply

A very interesting article, Rattler.  Especially for me, because I come from a part of India that is very near Jammu.  Infact, my sister and her family live close enough to Jammu  that a couple of years ago  there was an earth quake in the area, and they felt it in Mahal Kalan.

Such a brave girl.  Traditionally Sikhs are known to be warriors, probably one of the reasons there were so many in the Indian British Army back in WW2, (including my grandfather).

Mumbai was formally known as Bombay.  But from what I understand that was not it's original name.  The British changed the name to Bombay and the Indians have only quite recently changed it back to Mumbai.  Anyway,  during the bombing of the Taj Hotel,  I wanted to be there so bad and do some journalist work on what was going on. I feel like I missed an opportunity.  

Here's a map of where I was born and come from:

Maybe this on is a little better, note the village of Mahal Kalan:

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2009, 21:33:03 »
ReplyReply

Also notice,  just how the Punjab borders onto Pakistan.  The British divided up the Punjab,  one side is in India, the other side in Pakistan. 

Rattler
Local Moderator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2009, 21:35:59 »
ReplyReply

Yes, I realized that during my research.

Rattler
Also notice,  just how the Punjab borders onto Pakistan.  The British divided up the Punjab,  one side is in India, the other side in Pakistan. 

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 19594117 | Sitemap