29 March 2024, 07:34:40 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Problem with reading message  (Read 5502 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 12 October 2011, 18:21:03 »
ReplyReply

Some messages look like someone threw a garbagecan open with letters Smiley
Like this:

I work on a pc with XP pro

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2011, 20:08:39 »
ReplyReply

Hehe most of what I see isn't that readable either but the links do work so I havent worried about it.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2011, 23:42:20 »
ReplyReply

For Stoffel the explanation is simple:

What you see is the unfiltered html news in the News Quarantaine Board, and you can see it because you are an admin. All the rest of people on the forum dont see such stuff.

These posts in the quarantaine room have not yet been processed by newsMan (he does it in the - our - early morning hours usually) and cannot be seen by anybody who is no admin: From the forum POV they dont exist (hence they are in "Quarantaine"). e.g. I can see them as TA but not as Rattler. The downside of being an admin, you get to see all the stuff...   whistle

The solution for you is to be found in this look at things (and has been recommended by me since forum start):

- We cannot control that SMF has (and rightly so, for security reasons) limits on the html that can be posted: Only admins can post it (why newsMan has beeen made admin) and only very few html tags are translated into readable text (the ones that cannot be exploited for a virus attack for all I know), the rest produces harmless but unreadable output.

- As those "raw" unprocessed news appear (for admins only) in the "Recent Posts" list you will -  as Admin - always see around 150 news items daily when in the end newsMan only processes (manually converts the html into readable stuff) 3-7 daily and deletes the rest (those 3-7 he moves from the quarantaine shack to wherever they become visible to the rest of users, now sanitized and fully readable for everybody).

- Solution: I have long recommended for admins to have two identities: One as admin (going online and using it for administrative purposes only) and one as simple user (or member of staff) with no extra permissions but also without any extra things to bother about (e.g. unwanted news input).

This is really the way to go: If you only have admin view but use the forum from a user POV you destroy your clean forum experience as you will be bothered with stuff that is only meant to be visible for administrative duties (and, as those news, officially dont exist and will be deleted after a short time anyway, incl. your responses to them). Your recent post list will be clogged up with sometimes several hundred posts that will never appear in the forum, you will get info on stuff behind the scenes, etc., you have to change (as user) your permission spectrum:

My recommendation: Have your Stoffel handle (like the Rattler handle) downgraded from admin to a normal user (or member of staff, like MontyB) and, if you so wish, create a 2nd handle with admin rights that you use only if you *want* to act as admin. As TA I have no fun in the forum, and I dont even bother to read the latests stuff if not from a strictly technical administrative POV because it *is* no fun and on top mostly irrelevant as they get deleted anyway. The fun I have as user Rattler (Koen in the end understood me and has now his Koen - as user - and his Admin handle as seperate iodentities for seperate duties and experiences).

If you dont want to go this way, then simply dont read stuff from the quarantaine room, it is officially non-existent anyway and you are basically nosy if you do read it (and hence have to live with the consequences)  Knipoog

Now for MontyB
: I would really need to know exactly what is going on on your side (screen shot or a copy/paste here as quote) to see where we have botched up, as in theory members of staff should NOT see the quarantained news and only get the readable  stuff like everybody else. If you get garbled stuff we have a problem I need to address as it will affect other users as well.

Does that help?

TA

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2011, 01:36:04 »
ReplyReply

Now for MontyB[/b][/glow]: I would really need to know exactly what is going on on your side (screen shot or a copy/paste here as quote) to see where we have botched up, as in theory members of staff should NOT see the quarantained news and only get the readable  stuff like everybody else. If you get garbled stuff we have a problem I need to address as it will affect other users as well.

Does that help?

TA

Well here is what I see...

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2011, 06:01:58 »
ReplyReply

Monty, if this only happens with the Press Releases (topic prefix [PR] like in your screen shot) then now that is fixed:

Press Releases were the only automatic newsfeed (1* per day) whos html was not manually sanitized in the Quarantaine room. I have included them there and they wont go out in gibberish in the future.

If you have this for other news items also, plz let me know.

TA

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2011, 11:33:29 »
ReplyReply

LOL, I need to have an admin account too.
How can I do that?

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2011, 21:01:40 »
ReplyReply

LOL, I need to have an admin account too.
How can I do that?

... An Admin should know that...  waa

Seriously, its quite simple: You set up (either by going through the reigistering process: Helpful to detect flaws) or from your admin section a new identity with a handle you want to use as admin in the future. Of course you make this identity an admin.

Once done, you log out and log in under your new admin identity. Go to the admin section, search stoffel in members and set him to a new primary member group that is not admin.

Done.

Hope that helps, on request (let me know your desired handle) I can also do it for you.

TA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44167206 | Sitemap