25 April 2024, 23:36:29 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The First 48...an experiment in expanding CM, beyond its boundaries.  (Read 14019 times)
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« on: 2 November 2009, 12:41:45 »
ReplyReply

This being my first post in this section of W&T (that I have initiated), I ask your indulgence, should you find it somewhat confusing and disjointed.

I have long been involved in war-gaming, from my youth when I designed an ACW game for my brothers and I to play, to the present, when I shall attempt to break new ground (for me at least) using the CM platform. Much of my experience has been in the realm of miniatures war-gaming, with and without GMs (Game Masters, sometimes called gods). With the advent of the CM platform, I found many of the functions formerly performed by GMs handled much more efficiently and realistically by the CM game engine. However, there are still some aspects of war-gaming MIA in CM, that only a GM can fulfill due to the limitations inherent in CM. With my current project, of which I shall give you a teaser taste in this first post, in the hopes to find a couple of guinea pigs (I mean volunteers), to playtest my concept. While it is entirely possible that I am delusional in my concepts, without testing the waters, we shall never know...

To wet your appetite while I am gone this week, I leave you a rough version of the map upon which this experiment shall be carried out.  This is the original version of the map for this scenario (which was originally to be an operation). It has been reviewed by a member of this site, who happens to live in the vicinity, for its general adherence to the terrain in question. I am pleased to say that he recognized the location and says the map will do nicely, a big thanks to Huzaar for his input. I am currently in the last stages of redoing the map to meet the requirements for this upcoming experiment.

The attached file is of the in progress map, which can be viewed in detail on the scenario editor. Remember its incomplete.

* The First 48 - Hour 1.cmg (24.96 KB - downloaded 412 times.)

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 2 November 2009, 13:13:08 »
ReplyReply

Dont let us wait so long.....
If you need help, let me know!
I have been thinking of playing CM with two teams in the old  Tacops cpx style.
Basically teams choose a commander and divide tasks.
they et an assignment and have to formulate a plan.
They send in orders for a longer period i.e 5 minutes.
Than the GM will start up the game and plays the turns.
Another plus option is that the umpire can play the game using Frankos rules, like watching the game not in god mode from above but from groundlevel.
I have done some experiments and noticed that the AI is very capable of handling units, it gave interesting results.
teams get updates in the form of messages, recon radio messages and maps(screenshots)

Henk

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2 November 2009, 14:45:31 »
ReplyReply

Yes Henk, many good ideas to play around with. This version will be for only two players, who shall play it out themselves (copying turns to me) I shall GM to handle the chrome (recon reports and the like). When I return from this weeks excursion I shall post some info needs that I have regarding the scenario and your help will be gratefully accepted and appreciated. In fact I was counting on help from the site members to make this a truly great experience. If the first go around works well enough, I shall endeavor to provide the GM service to other members who might wish to try this out.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2 November 2009, 15:58:39 »
ReplyReply

Well, its allways good to stick our heads together Smiley
Lets see what comes out of the collision  hdbng Knipoog

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mad Russian

« Reply #4 on: 3 November 2009, 07:03:41 »
ReplyReply

I've attempted to push CM way out beyond the boundaries. With CMC on a slow road to death I got several gamers together to do a CMC style of campaign on our own.

We got the maps together. 4 or 5 to a side. An overall commander and then we went to war.

The issue with this was/is that like in actual combat you don't want a stand up fair fight may the best man win. You end up with extremely one sided fights with one side or the other retreating as quickly as possible to keep casualties to a minimum.

Now of course there comes a time when combat must take place or the attacked simply wins by default. These battles tended to get big and there were few of them. Not worth waiting out 12 or more blowouts to get a couple of battles. Plus if you have 4 or 5 to a side and only 2 real battles the gamers don't get much of a chance at getting into heavy combat.

So, that concept didn't work out as planned. But that's how you find out. You try it and see. Good luck with your project, maybe it will turn out better than my last one.

Good Hunting.

MR
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 3 November 2009, 14:39:16 »
ReplyReply

There is another option Steve Smiley
Try this one: www.onionwars.net

Henk

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 7 November 2009, 05:43:30 »
ReplyReply

The First 48 Hours will be a battle recreating the first 48 hours after  the 2/508th lands in Normandy and the 91st LuffteLande's attempt to destroy them. The battle will be 48 games long  (as after the first two days, contact with sister units on east side of Merderet was established and the tide was turned) with with each game representing 1 hour (60 turns fixed). At the end of each game, I shall make any adjustments to map as may be required, give appropriate intel and add any chrome I can come up with. There shall be no buffer between forces as the next game begins where the last left off. It is also possible that there may be no contact between units at the end of a game, this shall allow for increased resupply and reorganization.

I would advise anyone who is interested in playing this scenario, to refrain from reading or refreshing your understanding of the battle, as the fog of war is vital to setting the atmosphere and recreating the lack of intel that was the norm in these "First 48 Hours".

Yes, if all turns are played, it shall last 2880 turns, however, I suspect there is great potential for an early end, if you can perform better than your historical counterparts, after all, thats one of the reasons we play these games, is it not?

Thanks for the input already submitted as I am looking forward to making this a truly enjoyable 'epic' experience and all your input can only help.

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 8 November 2009, 07:31:50 »
ReplyReply

The map is finished.
The 2/508th is ready for insertion.
I have a cursory version of the 91st LL OOB, it lacks strength & disposition info. I found it on the 91st LL website, but it is in Deutsche. I shall attach it for those who can read Deutsche to let me know what it means.
Once the 91st LL OOB is done I shall be ready to start.

* 91st OOB im Deutsche.txt (5.72 KB - downloaded 560 times.)

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 8 November 2009, 18:36:32 »
ReplyReply

I will have a look Smiley

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 9 November 2009, 04:17:14 »
ReplyReply

I am in need of some information regarding units that were part of the 91st Luffte Lande Div during the first two days of  the allied landing in Normandy. I am specifically looking for strength and disposition of the 1057 Grenadier Regt  and any attached divisional assets in the vicinity of Piccaville.

Thanks

Mad Russian

« Reply #10 on: 9 November 2009, 14:59:39 »
ReplyReply

I am in need of some information regarding units that were part of the 91st Luffte Lande Div during the first two days of  the allied landing in Normandy. I am specifically looking for strength and disposition of the 1057 Grenadier Regt  and any attached divisional assets in the vicinity of Piccaville.

Thanks

Here is more information about the division for you. The information on the artillery should be especially good for what you're trying to do.

http://web.telia.com/~u18313395/normandy/gerob/gerob.html

It's listed as simply the 91st Infantry Division in the list. 8th unit from the top.

Good Hunting.

MR
« Last Edit: 9 November 2009, 15:50:35 by Mad Russian » Logged
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 9 November 2009, 15:19:47 »
ReplyReply

Very good stuff Steve,

Any chance we can add it to the units sections here at WaT?

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 9 November 2009, 19:18:47 »
ReplyReply

Thanks Steve, that site is a big help. I went hunting to see if I could find his book, to no avail. I shall conduct a much more thorough  search when I finish re-gigging my computer.

Mad Russian

« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2009, 06:51:48 »
ReplyReply

Here are the drop locations for the 82nd AB. Click on the map and it will enlarge.

http://www.ordersofbattle.darkscape.net/site/maps/historical/overlord%20maps/MapIX-big-82%20abn%20drop.jpg

Initial Drop dispositions:

http://ibiblio.net/hyperwar/////USA/USA-A-Utah/maps/USA-A-Utah-7.jpg

End of the day dispositions:

http://ibiblio.net/hyperwar/////USA/USA-A-Utah/maps/USA-A-Utah-9.jpg

There were some really good maps of Normandy years ago. Of which I have copies, but I thought they were still on the internet. Can't find them yet. They show detailed dispositions of German deployments. The same maps the Allies had before the landings. They are extremely detailed. I'll keep looking for those as well.

Also, you should check out "Night Drop" by S.L.A. Marshal. It is all about the airborne assault on France.

Good Hunting.

MR
« Last Edit: 10 November 2009, 07:15:35 by Mad Russian » Logged
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2009, 14:50:44 »
ReplyReply

Thanks again Steve, I had found those drop maps a long time ago, they are in fact what inspired me to develop this scenario. 'Good hunting' for the German deployment maps, as they are my most serious weakness at the moment. As for "Night Drop" I also bought that some time ago (E-Bay steal) and I agree with your conclusion, very good intel between those covers.

ays,

J

Mad Russian

« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2009, 07:18:21 »
ReplyReply

More for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.history.army.mil/BOOKS/WWII/utah/maps/Map10.jpg

and then there were dozens.....

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/en_page.php?page=maps

508th Parachute Infantry Rgt : Colonel Roy E. Lindquist
Hq & Hq Co : Captain Robert Abraham
1/508th : Lt Col. Herbert Batcheller (KIA 6 June)         
Major Shields Warren
Hq Co : Captain Gerard A. Ruddy (KIA 6 June)
A Co : Captain Jonathan E. Adams
B Co : Captain Royal R. Taylor
C Co :Captain Walter Silvers

2/508th : Lt Col. Thomas J.B. Shanley
Hq Co : Captain Chester E. Graham
D Co : 1st/Lt. Norman McVicar
E Co : Captain Eugene Hetland
F Co : Captain Francis E. Flanders (KIA 7 June)

3/508th : Lt Col. Louis G. Mendez
Hq Co : 1st/Lt. Malcolm D. Brannen
G Co : Captain Frank J. Novak
H Co : Captain Hal M. Creary (KIA 6 June)
I Co : 1st/Lt. John J. Daly (KIA 4 July)

Source: http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/en_page.php?page=82

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2009, 19:56:44 »
ReplyReply

I must be walking in your footsteps Steve, as thats where I first found the drop maps that inspired me. Well now I know what your footprints look like. After skimming the book, I may have to redo my map, to the newer level of accuracy that book allows me to replicate. OY VAY!

I also got my copy of the Osprey Normandy (2) book and saw the WN5 map. Was that your starting point for the HSG W5 landing scenario I like so much?

I've almost finished reading 'Night Drop' and have learned that I must develop a system for replicating the initial German response (slow) to the Airborne landings, as well as a system to reflect the allied difficulties with rallying after the drop. I've got a rough idea of how to handle it, very similar to what I would do in a miniatures version, by restricting movement until activation is triggered..

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2009, 12:34:19 »
ReplyReply

A simple way to achieve this is to use the reinforcements slots.
Also after you finish the map, make the fastest defending unit go diagonally across it,or along a route leading to placed us units.
This will result in an x number of turns before a German unit can reach that certain point.
Place US forces in positions you want them and count the turns the Germans need to get there.
For example, US squad landing east in the map, if it takes a German unit to reach that area in 20 turns you can  have the US squad enter there at turn 19..
You have as much as 30 slots Knipoog
For US units early on the map you can restrict movement by setting them up panicked or pinned.

Henk

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2009, 13:37:27 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for the input Henk, I shall remember that technique as the game goes on as I can foresee using it in the later stages. My problem in this case is that the Germans actually didn't do much until daybreak. [Ex: 3 Co. Inf, 1 Btty of Arty and several tanks in Picuaville didn't move out until daybreak.] I want to give the players the opportunity to change the outcome rather than just repeat history. There is a fine balance to achieve that in this scenario since if the Germans are released to quickly they will just slaughter the Paras before they rally into coherent groups.[no fun there] If they have no opportunity to be released, then there will be no chance to change history, and the scenario becomes an exercise in boredom. So I must thread the eye of a needle here with the idea to keep both player in it. The start is going to be slow, that is the nature of this particular battle. I wouldn't recommend  this to any players that don't like games that don't come to action quickly. This shall be a battle of developement, that is since neither side knows much about the others location & disposition, a rush to contact could prove fatal for he who does not take care.

Activation rules for first hour of Landing (may be extended to 2nd hour with modification)
My plan is to freeze all Germans until contact with Paras occurs. The Germans shall have a few units (probably half squads or anti tank teams) on patrol, who upon making contact, must return to HQ and report said contact (as commo was seriously compromised by the Resistance before the drop and by the Paras after). The Germans would then be released to move out if they wish.

I shall handle the Paras in a similar way. Any Para groups without a leader, may only move to the nearest cover, where they shall remain until such time as a leader arrives (within Command Radius) or they sight or contact German troops. This will force the Paras to send out teams to gather forces, which is what happened in RL.

These rules are subject to change once I see them in action, that is it looks like it will work on paper, now I must see if if it will work IN GAME.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2009, 17:31:22 »
ReplyReply

You can achieve that.
Make a rather big map say 4 x 4, or a very small one.
Give both sides an area and make sure they cant get on eachothers side, a ravine with steap slopes, burning forest whatever.
If the us player must do recon than give him one or two squads on the other side.
In the mean time both forces can reach their assigned points on the overall battle map, without having them slaugther eachother.
Another way is give explicite orders, monitoring the files, every 5th or 10th and give a penalty for not following the orders Smiley

Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44542615 | Sitemap