19 May 2024, 19:25:47 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The First 48...an experiment in expanding CM, beyond its boundaries.  (Read 14143 times)
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2009, 20:28:16 »
ReplyReply

I have already made the map, and it is huge, see my first post this thread for a proto of the final map. This is an historical scenario, starting within minutes of the Para landings. They will be dispersed to their actual landing spots (well as close as CM terrain allows with 20m hexes/squares) Their primary goal in the first hour will be to rally before the Germans move on them. Everything I have read so far indicates the Germans were slow to react, which gave the Paras a chance. The remainder of the scenario will be the Germans trying to crush the Paras before the bridgehead at La Fiere & Chef du Pont can be achieved and a link-up with the 2/508th. Historically, they held out for two days before the link occured, by allowing the Germans to be a bit more aggressive at the start, I expect there shall be a chance for them to be wiped out before the link-up. T least that's how it looks on paper.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Mad Russian

« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2009, 06:55:53 »
ReplyReply

A simple way to achieve this is to use the reinforcements slots.
Also after you finish the map, make the fastest defending unit go diagonally across it,or along a route leading to placed us units.
This will result in an x number of turns before a German unit can reach that certain point.
Place US forces in positions you want them and count the turns the Germans need to get there.
For example, US squad landing east in the map, if it takes a German unit to reach that area in 20 turns you can  have the US squad enter there at turn 19..
You have as much as 30 slots Knipoog

Only in a battle scenario not an operation.

For US units early on the map you can restrict movement by setting them up panicked or pinned.

Henk

Or in a tired or exhausted state. Where they will move but have to move slowly or they stop on you. Where you wait as long as you think you can afford to before starting to move them. In a morale state, pinned/cautious, etc...they won't move at all until they rally.

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 November 2009, 06:32:29 »
ReplyReply

I have considered various states to immobilize the Paras and here are some conclusions I have come up with.
Since this shall be a battle and not a operation (scale is way to small in time and troops) rein will be a factor.
Tired and exhausted dont really fit as from my reading once they exited the carriers, the adrenaline was pumping for the first couple of hours for most of the troops. During the 2nd night battles as well as the 2nd days battles, I will implement Tired and exhausted based on any particular units actions the previous day.
I will have to experiment with panicked and pinned as they may suit well and give a reason to send out gathering patrols just to bring them in, as was done extensively through the battle..

good ideas keep em coming as Im learning with each post.

Thanks!

Mad Russian

« Reply #23 on: 20 November 2009, 07:33:25 »
ReplyReply

I have considered various states to immobilize the Paras and here are some conclusions I have come up with.
Since this shall be a battle and not a operation (scale is way to small in time and troops) rein will be a factor.
Tired and exhausted dont really fit as from my reading once they exited the carriers, the adrenaline was pumping for the first couple of hours for most of the troops. During the 2nd night battles as well as the 2nd days battles, I will implement Tired and exhausted based on any particular units actions the previous day.
I will have to experiment with panicked and pinned as they may suit well and give a reason to send out gathering patrols just to bring them in, as was done extensively through the battle..

good ideas keep em coming as Im learning with each post.

Thanks!

Tired and exhausted don't fit the profile for the action. It fits the profile for the game.

If you make them tired or exhausted they will move just not as easily. And exhausted troops might not move at all. Sooo, as in real life you determine when you want to start them towards the objective and how out of sorts you want them when they get there.

If you use a morale state they will not move at all until they are rallied all the way back to normal. They will fire and defend themselves but, IMO, that's of little use to you where the paratroopers are on the attack.

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad Russian

« Reply #24 on: 20 November 2009, 07:53:18 »
ReplyReply

Okay, after looking at all the sources I have including the West Point Atlas of American Wars, I have come to the conclusion that the most detailed OOB and starting locations I can come up with are actually in a wargame.

Have you ever seen The Longest Day by Avalon Hill?

It has a very detailed Order of Battle for D-Day and beyond. It has the starting locations for all German units printed right on the map.

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 November 2009, 13:18:30 »
ReplyReply

Yes indeed I am familiar with the game though it is not in my collection. I shall run over to ebay and see if I can find a copy. Barring that, I have a very good source in the industry, if I cant find he he probably can.

Thanks MR!

Mad Russian

« Reply #26 on: 20 November 2009, 16:06:41 »
ReplyReply

I have a copy in the garage. I could just scan the part of the map you need if it comes to that.

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 November 2009, 18:36:03 »
ReplyReply

That may be the way to go, because there's only one copy on ebay and Im not gonna pay that much to look at the map.

Gomez
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2011, 21:07:37 »
ReplyReply

Gonna have to necro this and wonder what happened to it?

Cara Mia
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2011, 21:36:44 »
ReplyReply

Jody,

What are your plans with this operation, are you still working on it?
Henk

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44887590 | Sitemap