24 July 2019, 00:08:10 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Battle of Dubrovnik- 1991 and Luneville/Moncel Sep 1944  (Read 2576 times)
Balkan Warrior
Private

Croatia

View Profile
« on: 27 October 2010, 21:38:20 »
ReplyReply

Hi to all! I was corresponding with Stoffel during one of our CM battles, and he suggested I post the email I sent to him regarding the Battle of Dubrovnik in 1991, and Luneville/Moncel in WW - II.

We (Two Wild HOG friends and I!) were up on Mount Srdj above Dubrovnik where a big battle occurred in Oct 91, and I discovered that one of our Wild HOGs was one of the 32 Dubrovnik Defenders who climbed up the mountain to defend against a couple of hundred JNA soldiers who attacked with tanks, air strikes, and heavy arty! In the end the JNA were driven back and never took the Napoleon Fort, Imperial! He gave us a personal tour of the War Museum there and took us to all the battle positions around the site! It was great! Nothing like hearing it from the Guy who was there on the ground when it happened!

Here is a video that shows that battle with shots at Mount Srd, which starts with the first airstrike!

Domovinski rat - Napad na Dubrovnik - 1/2

I also discovered an interesting connection with the Moncel battle. I recalled that I had heard of Luneville and the Meurthe River before, and when I did a Google Search I realized it was very close to where my father's Unit, the 399 Inf Reg of the 100th Inf Div fought their first battle at Baccarat and Raon L' Etape on the Meurthe River in Oct 44 about not too far from Moncel
Here is a link to the map the 100th Div Association published of the battles the 100th fought.   

http://www.marshallfoundation.org/EuropeanTO.htm

Ivan/Shep!
The "HOG Ranger" and "Balkan Warrior"!
Still Lost on the Eastern Front!
Ride Hard and Die Free!
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2010, 22:24:29 »
ReplyReply

Can you give a bit more of background?

I am not at all familiar with the Balkan wars of the 90s (nor the nomenclatures you are using), but sure interested to learn something.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Balkan Warrior
Private

Croatia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2010, 21:53:23 »
ReplyReply

Hi Ratski! Here is a link that will give you good background regarding the battle for Dubrovnik!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Dubrovnik

Ivan/Shep!
The "HOG Ranger" and "Balkan Warrior"!
Still Lost on the Eastern Front!
Ride Hard and Die Free!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 25680408 | Sitemap