18 April 2024, 19:17:46 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Srebrenica: 15 years ago  (Read 11024 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 11 July 2010, 19:26:06 »
ReplyReply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

The Srebrenica Massacre, also known as the Srebrenica Genocide, refers to the July 1995 killing of more than 8,000 Muslim Bosniak men and boys, as well as the ethnic cleansing of 25,000–30,000 refugees in the area of Srebrenica in Bosnia and Herzegovina, by units of the Army of Republika Srpska (VRS) under the command of General Ratko Mladi? during the Bosnian War.

documentary:

Srebrenica Massacre-part1

Srebrenica Massacre-part2

Srebrenica Massacre-part3

and the following parts:
Srebrenica Massacre-part4

Srebrenica Massacre-part5 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Srebrenica Massacre-part6 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Srebrenica Massacre-part7 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Srebrenica Massacre-part8 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Srebrenica Massacre-part9 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

more info on DutchBat III: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutchbat
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2010, 23:48:32 »
ReplyReply

Like always I have a bad feeling against this item.
Why?
Many people tend to forget history, the reason why, and the situation which lead to the fal of the enclave.

I will give a short summary about what really happened.

Dutchbat had to provide security for the safe haven Srebrenica.
The  main objective was to disarm terrorist groups(moslims lead by Oric) operating from the area, they used UN observationposts to run cover.
Dutchbat wasnt able to conduct this operation because the population refused to cooperate.
Meanwhile the Serbian forces were  very eager to end the continuing raids from moslims against their towns surrounding Srebrenica.
The moslims tried to force Dutchbat to take their side , several attacks and ambushes were made against the Dutch troops, leading to the dead of 2 men.
One was an ambush where an YPR was shot at by an AT missile, it was forced to retreat, behind the YPR moslims had put up "refugees" at gunpoint.
The Serbs couldnt wait any longer.
The Dutch bn was surrounded, nobody could get to them, however every day the bn got weaker.
Men on leave were not allowed to return, no goods or supplies could get to the bn.
Low on food, low on fuel and ammo, the commander did the oly thing he could, safe his men.

The moslims who are now complaing had in fact all reason to put the blame at themselves.
If they would have complied to the UN resolutions and surrendered their weapons nothing would have happened.
Instead they attacked the soldiers, killing several.
Nobody was eager to get killed for them.
And what I think worse for the moslims, the top criminal, Oric and his men escaped, leaving the innocent to get hurt.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2010, 06:57:20 »
ReplyReply

And this justifies 8000 dead men and boys how?

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2010, 08:16:44 »
ReplyReply

Well,

In a way yes.
Eye for an eye, its reported that in the surrounding villages, about a thousand people were killed too.
Houses were destroyed., property stolen, allthough not a good one, the killings are n understandable repressaile from the Serbs.
We all know that in wars like this there are no innocents.

Every men aged 16 to 50 is a target or a potential killer.
Besides when you start jkilling the soldiers  that might be able to safe your ass, you do not spread goodwill amongst those soldiers.
I wonder if a US bn would have done it better........

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2010, 08:25:58 »
ReplyReply

Well,

In a way yes.
Eye for an eye, its reported that in the surrounding villages, about a thousand people were killed too.
Houses were destroyed., property stolen, allthough not a good one, the killings are n understandable repressaile from the Serbs.
We all know that in wars like this there are no innocents.

Every men aged 16 to 50 is a target or a potential killer.
Besides when you start jkilling the soldiers  that might be able to safe your ass, you do not spread goodwill amongst those soldiers.
I wonder if a US bn would have done it better........

Yet you consider Hamas and Hezbollah terrorists?

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2010, 10:10:22 »
ReplyReply

Dont get me wrong, the Serbs responsoble for the killings are terrorists to.
However, the dutch troops there are not to blame, the moslims are responsible for the outcome because of their own actions.

11 soldiers committed suicide, which is something you do not hear in the news either.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2010, 12:33:40 »
ReplyReply

And this justifies 8000 dead men and boys how?

Well, in a way yes. Eye for an eye -snip-

Erhmmmm... see below...

- snip- the moslims are responsible for the outcome because of their own actions... -snip-

Like the Isrelis then for the suicide/rocket attacks that hit them, no? How can you keep up such a two way mesure to the same action?

I hve come to know you as a rationale nd sensible person, so you will understand if I say: Sorry, with all due respect for you as a person:

Bollocks!

Rattler
« Last Edit: 12 July 2010, 12:38:58 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2010, 13:36:15 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,

Its not, I am sorry, read the report about it, if you havent you cant judge about the men who have been there, no support, no heavy weapons, no airsupport, left on their own with only rifles and machineguns.
They were lightly armed to do what the UN wanted them to do, disarming Moslim groups to secure the enclave.
You will see that the moslims there are solely to blame for what happened.
Specially Oric.
Do a search for him Knipoog

11 of my former bn comrades committed suicide, 2 got killed by moslims....now that should ring a bell.
1 of them lost his brother in Lebanon (!)
Nothing but good  about the dead, if you touch these guys , or blame them you touch me.

Thats something you( as a former soldier) should now.

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2010, 19:56:28 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,

Its not, I am sorry, read the report about it, if you havent you cant judge about the men who have been there, no support, no heavy weapons, no airsupport, left on their own with only rifles and machineguns.
They were lightly armed to do what the UN wanted them to do, disarming Moslim groups to secure the enclave.
You will see that the moslims there are solely to blame for what happened.
Specially Oric.
Do a search for him Knipoog

11 of my former bn comrades committed suicide, 2 got killed by moslims....now that should ring a bell.
1 of them lost his brother in Lebanon (!)
Nothing but good  about the dead, if you touch these guys , or blame them you touch me.

Thats something you( as a former soldier) should now.

You know the funny thing is that we share almost the same opinion but with a completely backwards conclusion, I personally do not see how the troops there can be held responsible for this as they did pretty much all they could have done but to blame the Muslim population of the area for being slaughtered and raped seems incomprehensible to me.

It is somewhat like blaming the Oradour-Sur-Glane massacre on the French resistance rather than the Germans.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2010, 22:34:49 »
ReplyReply

Trust me , the commander and some of his men are going to face court about this soon.
Left winged supported .....
The same guys who made sure the troops left without any heavy weapons.

the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2010, 04:58:52 »
ReplyReply

Why do we even bother?

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2010, 09:32:47 »
ReplyReply

Maybe because they were my brothers in arms?

My batallion  salute
I hate it when people has opinions about them, specially if they dont even know what happened or why......

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44444127 | Sitemap