30 May 2020, 17:02:07 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Battle of the Bulge (museum tour 2010)  (Read 11849 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 17 August 2010, 16:16:19 »
ReplyReply

This year we spent our vacation in Luxemburg, at the town of Hosingen.
From there you can easily reach all important areas of the Bulge theatre.

We started in Bastogne.
Located near the highway a small museum with weapons/ clothings and personal equipment from both sides( German and US)
Outside 1 vehicle, a US tankdestroyer, inside in dioramas a halftrack(US) a kettenkraftrad and a Hetzer.
Next to the museum is the large monument.
A circleshaped building with the names of the US states on them and the names of all US divisions which fought in the Bulge.
On top of the monument you have a huge panoramic view of the surrounding area of Bastogne.
North, south, west and eastern part of the monument has a small map on a bronze plate showing the area for each respective direction.

Price is Euro: 7,50 for adults.

Next in our visit was the town of Clervaux.
Clervaux is breathtaking when you drive down the road, it lays in a beautifull valley surrounded by mountains.
In the centre overlooking Clervaux you find the castle with the Ardennes exhibition.
At the entrance a Pak43 (88mm)and a Sherman M4 (76mm) disabled in Clervaux.

The museum is very small, it contains dolls with clothing, weapons and a lot of personal stuff from soldiers, also some maps and pieces of newspapers and magazines.
Worth  a visit, cost only 2 euros, it looks small but roughly the same scale as Bastogne.

Next stop Diekirch.
Drive down the main road from Hosingen and you will see the museum located just 600 meters inside Diekirch.
This was a great museum!
From the street it looks small, but once you are inside!
Outside a large 155 mm artillery gun and a 105mm Howitzer, an M4 sherman(76mm) and a British 25 pounder fieldgun diorama.

Inside is huge, some extra dioramas showing US soldiers preparing a small boat, a US 40 mm AAA gun with crew.

Also a large room with a lot of German and US vehicles, guns and equipment.

Pak40

20mm flak 4

This museum was about the best I saw regarding the bulge, cost 0nly Euro 2,50.
The museum is bigger than its Bastogne counterpart and three times cheaper.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2010, 11:13:22 »
ReplyReply

here are some more 'Ardennes' picture: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/ardennes-pictures/

& info:
http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/links-to-war-and-military-related-websites-and-fora/ardenneswacht-am-rheinbattle-of-the-bulge-websites/
http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/world-war-2-on-the-internet/battle-of-the-bulge-wacht-am-rhein-websites/
Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2010, 12:34:11 »
ReplyReply

Like this posts  salute

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2010, 23:17:29 »
ReplyReply

Interesting indeed, the 4x20 was still (with just slight modifications) used in my service time.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2010, 12:42:48 »
ReplyReply

Plenty of stuff has been used after the war Matt.
I saw MK IV and stugs in Egypt in the war against Israel.
M10 tankdestroyers in Yougoslavia in 1998.
Austria kept the Hetzer in service untill the 1970s.
I thought France used the Panther tanks untill 1960.
I bet there are more examples too.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2010, 16:23:38 »
ReplyReply

The M2 (affectionately known as the 'Ma Deuce') .50 cal Hvy MG is still in use to this day in the US military on most AFVs and many Hvy trucks and Humvees.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2010, 21:45:42 »
ReplyReply

Plenty of stuff has been used after the war Matt.
I saw MK IV and stugs in Egypt in the war against Israel.
M10 tankdestroyers in Yougoslavia in 1998.
Austria kept the Hetzer in service untill the 1970s.
I thought France used the Panther tanks untill 1960.
I bet there are more examples too.

I have to look it up but I thought that Finland used the StuG's for some years after WWII
Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2010, 09:15:32 »
ReplyReply

Spanish army used loads of german equipment, when Germany supported us (Nationalist rebels) provided us of many equipment and some of them were adapted or copied when time passed.

Actually MG42 cal 7.62 is still in use for most units, even when was tryied to change iy for AMELI, Nato 5.56.

Here it´s me with german (adapted) MG42, some of them had even german eagle marks which had been rubbed as it was said, although sincerely I never cared about searching for them, I was more worried about it´s weight, f*****g hell, what an additional weight when had to carry it with all equipment during hours or days.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2010, 12:16:06 »
ReplyReply

Spanish army used loads of german equipment, when Germany supported us (Nationalist rebels) provided us of many equipment and some of them were adapted or copied when time passed.

Actually MG42 cal 7.62 is still in use for most units, even when was tryied to change iy for AMELI, Nato 5.56.

Here it´s me with german (adapted) MG42, some of them had even german eagle marks which had been rubbed as it was said, although sincerely I never cared about searching for them, I was more worried about it´s weight, f*****g hell, what an additional weight when had to carry it with all equipment during hours or days.

<Quoted Image Removed>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

would look cool..... hanging on my wall  Brede lach
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2010, 14:51:55 »
ReplyReply

With some luck I am going to shoot with the mg 42 in two weeks Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 29205873 | Sitemap