19 April 2024, 22:26:05 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: I Woke Up Dead scenario  (Read 3945 times)
Bannon DC
Private

United States

View Profile
« on: 31 December 2008, 01:33:14 »
ReplyReply

***Please make your comments to this scenario and those in Round 1 in the scenario section...thanks...MR****

hello all --

I posted the Masters Tournament, Round 1 scenario "I Woke Up Dead" at the Proving Grounds.  To all of you in Round 1, thanks for playing it.  Hope you enjoyed it.  Comments and AARs welcomed... here or at TPG.

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=1559

Cheers,
Bannon DC
« Last Edit: 4 January 2009, 16:16:39 by Mad Russian » Logged
voland
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2008, 18:47:24 »
ReplyReply

My impressions of this scenario are mixed.

Good.

The scenario presents an interesting challenge. The weakened forces and random reinforcements are a hard package to deal with.  The map is interesting, and the trench system is cool looking (but unfortunately irrelevant).

Bad.

To me this felt like a one trick pony. Here is what is needed. Rush the church, and hold it at all costs. Give the forces available, however this task is not really a challenge. I think that barring horrible reinforcement results, the player that gets to the church first wins. Once you have infantry in the church, there is no way the weak infantry only forces will be able to dislodge the defenders.

Reinforcements. Very bad. I did not understand the point of having AT assets arrive as reinforcements. They are useless and unrealistic. If I was the commander on the ground, all the AT teams would get a rifle and be integrated into infantry platoons, as it often happen during the war. I would even integrate cooks, communications personnel and any one able to hold a rifle into my infantry squads.

AAR

I played Germans. I assembled most of my forces in a location closest to the church. I shelled my enemies shortest pass, my opponent did the same. All my able bodied troops started rushing the church, going as fast as possible. I got to the church first. I spent the rest of the battle funneling reinforcements to the church, and repealing attack after attack. I won a solid victory. My opponent did not have a prayer once I got troops into the church.
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 3 January 2009, 18:01:34 »
ReplyReply

I have pretty much the same impression and conclusions as Voland.  Mine was reversed though, and the Russians got to the church first.  From then on, it was a meat grinder for the Germans.

Between the briefing, the weather, and the sound, I felt like I was in a Dracula movie!   Geschokt

I made a mistake in trying to stay out of the way of the initial artillery barrage, and had my troops too far back.  Then it was too far to get to the church first.  The briefing made it sound like all hell was going to come down in the first turn.  I am not sure if it is CM or the scenario design, but the initial barrage turned out to be really weak and anticlimactic.  It wasn't worth hiding from.

I don't think I would play it again, at least without some antidepressant medication close at hand.

***von Staudt***
TedRam1
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 3 January 2009, 18:39:26 »
ReplyReply

I'm with Voland too.
I was the Russians and got to the building and the small flag next to it first and spent the rest game feeding the line and repulsing the German attack.

I thought the AT guns and AT rifles clever and made me anticipate armor coming out of the mist on my flanks. A scary proposition.
Which, by the way, may be an interesting twist. Probably would be the only way to knock out the pillbox and advance on the flag there.

I moved all my men up to the building except for one or two units that stayed behind to control the flags and watch the flanks.
It was something I had never done in CM before moving over that terrain as fast as I could with tired and weakened troops.
That was pretty cool and quite a challenge.

I wonder, did anyone take the building once it was occupied by the other side?
Mad Russian

« Reply #4 on: 4 January 2009, 16:16:56 »
ReplyReply

***Please make your comments to this scenario and those in Round 1 in the scenario section...thanks...MR****
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44456494 | Sitemap