29 March 2024, 07:20:15 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Where we live  (Read 93119 times)
Jonny
Private

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 September 2009, 12:44:36 »
ReplyReply

Welcome to the Ghetto lol

The view from my old kitchen window

I live in Leeds, in the fine county of Yorkshire within the United Kingdom Of Great Britain.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 12 September 2009, 13:10:00 »
ReplyReply

Yorkshire is a country???

Just joking, if you wish I could polish the pic a bit to make it more discernible?

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 12 September 2009, 21:52:55 »
ReplyReply

Jonny,  I know of Yorkshire, but have never been that far 'up North' of England.  Do you have that great Yorkshire accent?

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2009, 02:26:02 »
ReplyReply

Jonny,  I know of Yorkshire, but have never been that far 'up North' of England.  Do you have that great Yorkshire accent?

I like the Northern Yourkshire accent also, where every lady is "mi luv"... Smiley

This yung ´ungry lady has it on perfectly:

interview with millen eve

And of cause, life up North can be really tuff Smiley

Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen

Rattler
« Last Edit: 13 September 2009, 02:35:20 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 13 September 2009, 16:37:14 »
ReplyReply

She's cute.

TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 13 September 2009, 21:40:18 »
ReplyReply

She's cute.

Yeah, isn´t she? I got glued to the vid, though it was so long, such a natural kid, and so serious about everything... Smiley !

Rattler

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 13 September 2009, 22:03:12 »
ReplyReply

Some more pics:

The summer is coming to an end, and the hay is being cut:

One of the many apples trees that grow wild here:

Can you see the early evening moon through the trees?:

I love the summer sunsets here:

Smiley

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 13 September 2009, 22:49:52 »
ReplyReply

And finally, me:

deleted on request
« Last Edit: 14 September 2009, 13:25:03 by Jilly » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 13 September 2009, 22:57:04 »
ReplyReply

Here, the summer is also coming to an end:

Thunderstorms growling at the horizon all day, first clouds to be seen in more than 4 month, Tuesday it finally will rain, and tomorrow is the first day with temperatures below 31 announced (26).

Also it is the last days of the holidays, and while most bars and restaurants stay open til OCT 31, the season is over (only heavy traffic on weekends when the "Palmesanos"  - the people from Palma - come in). Now, for 6 weeks - and only during the week - we have the village for ourselves and can enjoy the warm sea and the great scenery...

So, I decided to pick the old camera (6 yrs not much used) and made a quick walaround of my village today, at almost dawn (the pics look clearer, but if you chek the details you will see hte cars have their lights turned on already, etc). YOu can easily correlate a few with the sat map I posted before, espeically the tiny islands...

Here goes a first selection, tomorrow more:

Our splendid village center, note we are at the sea but also embedded in mountains:

We have a supermarket right in the village center:

We also have a *big* supermarket, in the peatonal zone right at the side of the town center:

Our attractions, of cause are the beach, the Island of Dragonera, and the small island of Pantaleau:

And if you ever wondered what our folks here look like, and what they do on sundays, here you get some impressions (the dog is my "Pocholo", the friend of all kids in the village):

Now, gotta run, thunderstorm is *very* close, gotta disconennect comp and all other stuff, those thunderstorms here are fierce and we have no lightning protection...

Enjoy,

Rattler

EDIT: Yippie1 It´s raingin, finally! R.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 13 September 2009, 22:59:49 »
ReplyReply

And finally, me:
 <Quoted Image Removed>

Great to have a face to connect to the posts, and then such a beautiful one on top! You made my day just a bit lighter... Smiley

Rattler

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2009, 11:55:36 »
ReplyReply

Well thank you Mr.  Rattler  Smiley

I might delete it soon though,  it feels strange having it up there.

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 14 September 2009, 12:00:25 »
ReplyReply

I love the pictures of your area.  The kids look so relaxed and happy.  is that your dog?  The beach looks so inviting.,  I bet you get a lot of tourists there.  Which other country do they mostly come from?  I especially like the last picture,  it captures a moment so well. Thanks for those,  I'd love to see some more, when you get the time.

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 14 September 2009, 12:06:07 »
ReplyReply

deleted on request

This moose spent over a year with us.  She would put her nose at the living room window,  follow us around,  or suddenly appear behind us when we least expected her to..  A gentle creature,  one day she just disappeared. (I hope the hunters didn't get her).  I still miss her presence.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 14 September 2009, 12:14:54 »
ReplyReply

I love the pictures of your area.  The kids look so relaxed and happy.  is that your dog?  The beach looks so inviting.,  I bet you get a lot of tourists there.  Which other country do they mostly come from?  I especially like the last picture,  it captures a moment so well. Thanks for those,  I'd love to see some more, when you get the time.

This *is* paradise for kids, dogs and old people, and yes, as stated in the caption:

And if you ever wondered what our folks here look like, and what they do on sundays, here you get some impressions (the dog is my "Pocholo", the friend of all kids in the village):

Tourism here is quite different from the rest of the island and depends on the month: In spring and autumn (today the first tour arrived) we have the "Ramblers", people that do walking in our mountains and to see the Island of Dragonera from above...:

...or our monastery "Sa Trapa", those are Germans and English.

The hotel (you can see it on the beach pic, it´s the only one we have) is from a Swiss family, so we have many Swiss hotel guests, now pensionists, in summer couples with kids.

Generally, in the 2 1/2 summer month we have a lot of French, as most of them (through family ties: Malloquins went to France in the beginning of the 20th century to work) own houses here in the village.

Now, as I was at it, and had to get up at three in the morning as then the thunderstorm struck and I had to shut the house down and sweep the entering water, I took a nice pic (one of 50 tries) off my balcony of the thunderstorm.

My balcony normal view:

And, tonight, with the thunderstorm just having passed (but it was still raining, so I had to be a bit retracted under the roof). I took around 50 pics, always 30 seconds of exposure off tripod, and waiting whether I could catch another ligthning, and in the end was rewarded (the green colors come from the street lamps):

Enjoy,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 14 September 2009, 12:26:24 by Rattler » Logged

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 14 September 2009, 13:31:04 »
ReplyReply

Wow,  Rattler, you have captured the lightening strike so well.  Amazing.  Looks like it was quite the storm.  They can be beautiful in their own way.

I imagine it's an ideal place to live for the right kind of people.  That Island of Dragonera,  what exactly is on there?  Are there any buildings of any kind, or is it just a place to go mountain climbing etc?  Thanks for the pictures. 

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 14 September 2009, 16:51:32 »
ReplyReply

Wow,  Rattler, you have captured the lightening strike so well.  Amazing.  Looks like it was quite the storm.  They can be beautiful in their own way.

Pure chance, really (though going for it), there is nothing more that you can do than wait and hope. Actually, as the foreground was a bit dark in the photo, I superimposed an overexposed one to give more clarity in the front, now it looks like what I saw (see attachment, it was 60 secs exposure).

If you don´t catch anything, the pic comes out pitch black with just the street lights reflecting green, then sometimes you have a lightning behind clouds, like you can see in the other attachment below (click attachments to enlarge), and, if you are patient and lucky enough, you get a good one...

I imagine it's an ideal place to live for the right kind of people.  That Island of Dragonera,  what exactly is on there?  Are there any buildings of any kind, or is it just a place to go mountain climbing etc?  Thanks for the pictures.  

Dragonera was bought from some US company in the beginning of the´80s, they wanted to construct an exlusive holiday resort for rich Arabs there. Luckily, after a public outcry, the Spanish Government found use for our tax payers money and bought it for 25 Million $ in 1987 and declared it cultural patrimony and a Nature Resort in ´95.

So, today there is nothing on (except a biology station and a house for the guards), and you can go walking there or see the absolutely unbelievable forms of life there (as it was so isolated, many species live there that cannot be found anywhere else). The most well known are the lizards, Podarcis lilfordi giglioli ("Dragones", in the Mallorquin Language, about 15 cm long, here a nice photo made by Carlos Vega Moreno), they are hand tame (and there are literally millions of them) which have made it to become the symbol for our village San Telmo.

A quick summary here: http://mallorcaphotoblog.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/the-dragon-island/

700 m of Mediterranean water separate the Isla Dragonera, today a Nature Park under thorough preservation and caring protection, from the island of Mallorca.

Sa Dragonera has been used throughout history by pirates and smugglers, thus generating legends and anecdotes around the island. In 1974, a greedy land promoter bought the island and submitted plans for large scale urbanisation plus luxury marine facilities, but luckily, Mallorca’s friend, the G. O. B. came to the rescue and fought, and won, a lengthy court battle for the benefit of all of us. In 1987, Sa Dragonera was bought by the Consell de Mallorca. In 1995, Sa Dragonera was declared a Parque Natural and has benefitted from ecological protection ever since.

During the summer months, there is a daily boat service from Sant Elm to Sa Dragonera. You have to take your own provisions on this rewarding excursion as there are absolutely zilch amenities at the point of destination. But yes, there are toilet facilities on the island. Toilet paper, not always.

Here some pix:

The (natural) port of Dragonera (you are loking EAST, San Telmo is on the coast in the background):

The old lighthouse on top (now replaced by two lighthouses on each end, as the top turned out to be in clouds too often - 377 mtrs); you are looking NE, San Telmo is on that coast just to the right outside the picture - spectacular view, from there you can see Ibiza sometimes when the weather is clear.

Here some shots I took last year that I also find quite spectacular (and that show those clouds mentioned above):

Enjoy!

Rattler

* superimposed_overexposed.jpg (28.45 KB, 600x400 - viewed 667 times.)

* lightning_behind_clouds.jpg (36.03 KB, 600x400 - viewed 658 times.)
« Last Edit: 15 September 2009, 06:34:59 by Rattler » Logged

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 15 September 2009, 00:27:47 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for telling me more about the Island.  And the photos are spectacular!  You can tell you used to be a photographer.  Really good.

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 15 September 2009, 13:49:34 »
ReplyReply

I went for a walk yesterday late afternoon and took these photos:

And finally yet another sunset:

Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 15 September 2009, 14:21:42 »
ReplyReply

Both you, great photos.

Rattler, I can see it´s fu**g rainy in islands now.

Jilly. Take a photo of a coyote which looks like my avatar if you can.  whistle Better, take a photo of yourself.

I am not putting any photo simply because I don´t know what to photgraph.

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 15 September 2009, 15:30:36 »
ReplyReply

Jilly, really nice pictures, reminds me soooo much of the Germany of my youth, those dense forests and the green, and the straw (hay?)...

Better, take a photo of yourself.

Concur, Jilly: A pity your picture has gone, maybe a new one? I will post one of me from today tonight... (everybody take cover, ICOMING!!! )
 cover

O, and that with the rain, it comes and goes (now sun again), you can always check my weather here (scroll to "Baleares"), the last column gives thunderstorms (TS), showers (SH) or snow, or rain or whatever, as you can see it is not *that* bad... Smiley : http://www.dwd.de/bvbw/generator/lang_de/Sites/DWDWWW/Navigation/Schifffahrt/Seewetter/Seewetterbericht__24__MM__w__node,templateId=renderPrint.html

Rattler
« Last Edit: 15 September 2009, 15:36:26 by Rattler » Logged

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44167031 | Sitemap