19 April 2024, 06:49:13 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Where we live  (Read 93521 times)
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« on: 9 September 2009, 23:17:17 »
ReplyReply

I live in deleted on request,  I thought it would be interesting to post some pictures of the area where I live.  I'd love to see some of where you all live as well.  Pics off the internet are fine too.  

I took my dog for a walk today, here is a photo of her, we live in the countryside:
deleted on request

The hay is now being cut and some of it is already packaged   ready to go, at a nearby farm:
deleted on request

Where I sometimes take my dog for  a walk:
deleted on request

I'll post some more later on Smiley

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 9 September 2009, 23:26:17 »
ReplyReply

it's not where I live...

one of my 2 cats called 'Pruts' (thingy)

the local saturday market

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 9 September 2009, 23:37:46 »
ReplyReply

What a cute cat!  The market looks so colorful and bright.  Is the Autumn setting in already there?  It looks like it's getting colder.

I have four cats,  here are mine:

Fluffball:

Pickles:

And Greg:

Smiley

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 9 September 2009, 23:44:15 »
ReplyReply

4? I count 3  Brede lach

market pictures were from last year when I just bought my 10-20 lens...
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2009, 00:34:08 »
ReplyReply

Let me use postcards to illustrate my corner of Seattle:

view looking north east, downtown Seattle in the background.

view to the south east, Mt. Rainier in the background.
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2009, 00:53:51 »
ReplyReply

Koen,  I just realized I don't have any pics of my forth cat, his name is Smokey.  I'll take some and post them next time Smiley

Alan,  I like the post cards.  Some years back I used to live in British Columbia and went over to Seattle a few times.  I missed seeing the coast though.  It's real nice.

Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2009, 08:30:49 »
ReplyReply

Have no scanner photos prepared.

Here are lots of pics in this link, when you open one there are several more  http://www.almeriavirtual.info/lang/sp_fotografias_de_almeria_1.htm

(some links don´t work, but others do)

Here is located Almería

Some information relative to the place. In English!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almer%C3%ADa

Military references: Spanish Legion Alfonso XIII Brigade is sited here since 1995.

Best

« Last Edit: 10 September 2009, 08:43:57 by Solideo » Logged

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2009, 12:43:33 »
ReplyReply

where I live on googlemaps...don't try to zoom in to deep...it's just 1km beyond civilization...

" width="425px" height="350px" /><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=nl&amp;geocode=&amp;q=keiberg&amp;sll=37.09024,-112.5&amp;sspn=51.488837,147.304687&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=keiberg&amp;hnear=&amp;radius=15000&amp;ll=50.991556,4.957967&amp;spn=0.020178,0.071926&amp;t=h&amp;z=15" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=nl&amp;geocode=&amp;q=keiberg&amp;sll=37.09024,-112.5&amp;sspn=51.488837,147.304687&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=keiberg&amp;hnear=&amp;radius=15000&amp;ll=50.991556,4.957967&amp;spn=0.020178,0.071926&amp;t=h&amp;z=15</a>

we have a famous place of pilgrimage in our small town....luckily...it brings some people and life back here  smallclap
« Last Edit: 4 January 2011, 13:20:18 by Koen » Logged
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2009, 13:06:53 »
ReplyReply

Solideo,  you live in a very beautiful area of the world,  and you don't have the cold to put up with!  Lucky you.  Smiley

Koen,  it all looks so green from the google map,  so neat and tidy.  I live so far in a rural area that google hardly shows anything at all.  Apart from lot of forest areas.

Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2009, 14:09:30 »
ReplyReply

Solideo,  you live in a very beautiful area of the world,  and you don't have the cold to put up with!  Lucky you.  Smiley

Koen,  it all looks so green from the google map,  so neat and tidy.  I live so far in a rural area that google hardly shows anything at all.  Apart from lot of forest areas.

We usually love what we have away. I would like to be sometime in a full trees area, where green predominates, where snow comes over you all winters. A place where you can only hear birds and wind up a mountain.

But I live by a desert...yes, there are many beaches, but most time full of people. Yes it´s sunny almost all year, but you miss the cold, the rain whipping on your window glass...

We are human, so we always desagree most we possess or have nearby.

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2009, 14:18:34 »
ReplyReply

Hey Alan, you ever eat at that fried clam place right on the beachfront? I think its called Spuds. Great fried clams. I used to live in Burien some years back. Loved the access to the Olympic Park coastline and the Rainforests.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2009, 15:00:39 »
ReplyReply

Solideo,  you live in a very beautiful area of the world,  and you don't have the cold to put up with!  Lucky you.  Smiley

Koen,  it all looks so green from the google map,  so neat and tidy.  I live so far in a rural area that google hardly shows anything at all.  Apart from lot of forest areas.

We usually love what we have away. I would like to be sometime in a full trees area, where green predominates, where snow comes over you all winters. A place where you can only hear birds and wind up a mountain.

But I live by a desert...yes, there are many beaches, but most time full of people. Yes it´s sunny almost all year, but you miss the cold, the rain whipping on your window glass...

Sounds like a trip to Mallorca is necessary... Smiley Here we have true seasons, just a little snow in winter, not too much heat in summer, green in spring, and warm clear waters with empty beaches in autumn...!

For the geographically challenged (I know we currently do not have any here, but who knows what the future will bring... Smiley ):

Mallorca is also part of Spain (the little green spot W shows more or less where I live):

Military Relelvance:

Comandancia General de Baleares

• Cuartel General (HQ), en Palma de Mallorca
  • Ejército de tierra (Army): Agrupación Mixta, en Palma de Mallorca
  • Ejército del aire: 801 Escuadrón de Fuerzas Aéreas (AirForce) - SAR, en Palma de Mallorca:

Spain *is* a country and part of Europe:

Europe is, like Africa, Asia or Australia, a continent, and *not* a country:

Why do I go in such detail, you may ask? Well, I just remembered this video...

Budapest is the capital of what European country?

Brede lach

Rattler
« Last Edit: 10 September 2009, 16:44:46 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2009, 16:52:56 »
ReplyReply

Ok, wanted to separate this into two posts, as this one will take a little longer to load:

Here some sat pix of Mallorca and where I live (for some reason does not disply inserted, attached them. Click to expand).

Enjoy,

Rattler

* malletotaltoHQ.jpg (192.46 KB, 750x1000 - viewed 1404 times.)

* 01BayOverview+HQ.jpg (50.39 KB, 910x287 - viewed 1030 times.)
« Last Edit: 10 September 2009, 17:02:12 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2009, 17:58:32 »
ReplyReply

We always seem to want what we don't or can't have,  maybe it's just human nature?  I really find the winters here in Canada hard though,  the snow is something else.

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2009, 18:06:04 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,  I only recently realized that Mallorca is an Island,  do you ever feel isolated there at all?  How do you get from there to the mainland of Spain etc?  Do you use a boat or fly?  How often do you need to go to the mainland?  How are provisions shipped over to the Island?

Does that invitation apply to me as well?  whistle 

How on earth would anyone get there?   Grijns

Yes,  I do know that Europe is not one country!  But I only recently realized that Africa is a continent.  doh3

Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2009, 18:08:15 »
ReplyReply

Hey Alan, you ever eat at that fried clam place right on the beachfront? I think its called Spuds. Great fried clams.

yeah, Spud Fish & Chips is still there, still good.  My kids' school is 2 blocks away so when I'm tutoring there I have lunch once/week.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2009, 21:32:30 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,  I only recently realized that Mallorca is an Island,  do you ever feel isolated there at all?

Oh, so maybe it was good after all that I went into such detail... iconclap (a look at my avatar would have revealed it...).

No, I do not feel isolated at all, we have a great infrastructure (at least in peace times, for war/catastrophes that could have the lines cut, I have a boat), but I have heard this complaint very often from women that were not from here, they somehow never feel really safe as they fear one day they could not leave if they wanted.

How do you get from there to the mainland of Spain etc?  Do you use a boat or fly?

There go around 500 flights a day to all over Europe (in summer, 100 in winter), good connections, Palma is a hub airport here in south  western Europe, i.e. all traffic goes through here.

If you need to transport larger stuff, you take car/boat (actually, for any longer stay on the mainland that would be my combo - e,g, a party/culture weekend in Barcelona: Leave FRI 1400, come back MON 0800, ready to go for work, all for 80 Euros - , but if I just need to go for business and want to be home same day I take a plane).

How often do you need to go to the mainland?

I go to the peninsula about 3 times a year in average, but to Germany, Switzerland, France or Britain another 2 times a year.

How are provisions shipped over to the Island?

The island is quite self sufficient where basic (esp. food) products are concerned, the rest gets shipped in (even water in times of shortage, with large cistern ships).

Does that invitation apply to me as well?  whistle

Anytime... Smiley

How on earth would anyone get there?   Grijns

From Canada look for a cheap connection to either Germany or Britain, from there its a 2 hours flight with cost between 100-250$ to here (2-way), the earlier you book, the cheaper it gets, One example for cheap and fast connections from Germany: http://www.airberlin.com/site/start.php?LANG=eng (click on PALMA in the map to see the multitude of connections, they even have a daily to Vancouver from 190-850 Euros - one way - depending on booking conditions), for UK you might also want to look up easyjet or ryanair.

Yes,  I do know that Europe is not one country!  But I only recently realized that Africa is a continent.  doh3

Just FYI: Antarctica also... Smiley

Rattler
« Last Edit: 10 September 2009, 21:41:51 by Rattler » Logged

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2009, 22:47:36 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for answering all my questions, Rattler.   Smiley

Like I've mentioned before,  I've been meaning to visit my mother in the UK.  When I do,  I might look into visiting Spain and your area too,  thanks for the invite.  Smiley

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2009, 23:16:26 »
ReplyReply

By chance, found a pic in my archive (no clue who took it, got it sent by a friend) from your region, Jilly (attached, click to enlarge).

It is one of a series of boats on dry land (and even ships), what is the background for this phenomenon?

Enjoy!

Rattler

* canadaboat.jpg (98.94 KB, 700x477 - viewed 1027 times.)

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 12 September 2009, 02:45:26 »
ReplyReply

Crikey,  Rattler,  I don't have a clue as to where abouts it could be.  I know the trees look familiar,  so it's obviously from around here somewhere.

Pages:  [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44448745 | Sitemap