29 March 2024, 06:28:29 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Where we live  (Read 93116 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: 24 February 2011, 23:32:42 »
ReplyReply

Basically it comes down to this: -snip-

We had practically nothing except a cd player and a vcr -snip-

ROFLMAO  hicks

JFTR, my playground was this building (for some time), playing with old hand grenades and stray leftover ammo:

Today, while nobody right now in front of his play staion remembers, it looks like this:

Who is better off?

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Fredrocker
Private

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: 12 March 2011, 21:16:08 »
ReplyReply

Well I am now in South Carolina... here is some pics of the new Homestead...

and a picture of our newest edition Scoobie

hatsoff

That is all...
Fredrocker

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." -Theodore Roosevelt
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: 12 March 2011, 21:30:57 »
ReplyReply

Good question Matt Smiley

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: 22 July 2011, 06:40:15 »
ReplyReply

Ok, moving time comes closer (Sunday I will be leaving the house).

What I will miss (took the picture about 10 days ago in the early morning hours, from my terrace):

OTOH, some things have changed to the better: Initially I planned to live in a terrain of my ex camper style (tent, etc.).

Could have been an interesting adventure and I was looking forward to it (my ex offfered me to live with her in Palma, but I am not made for cities anymore). But then, 2 weeks ago, on the market in Andratx ran into a lady who knew me by name, even if I could not allocate her. Talking along with her it turned out that we had spoken 15 yrs ago about my (current) house, as she had lived in it as adolescent.

Of course, this led to taking a coffe with her and telling her of my predicament with losing this house now, plans, etc. . To my surprise she then said: "Wow, that is great, I have come over to the island - sghe lives and works in Barcelona - to search for someone to take care of a ranch of mine that is deteriorating rapidly and which I cannot keep afloat..."

A deal was done rapidly: I will run the ranch for three years, wont have to pay rent, electricity or water in exchange for building up the house and cultivating the land.

So, after having been a seaman for 16 yrs now I am going to become a farmer... Smiley Actually started work the same day, hence I have been so quiet lately: Between my work, working there and here to clear the house and moving the workshop there was not much time, 18 hours days standard...

The place is idyllic, in the mountains: A house with a solid roof and windows, but nothing inside (not even a loo), 40.000 sqm of terrain, an own pond and fountain, and 5 stables.

Today I will get the keys after having now worked the last two weeks to open the access ways (everything is grwon in), clean out the stables and set up a place for all my tools, collecting the various material around the ranch and concentrating it there, etc. Now it is about finding a way to install electricity, running water and a working bathroom. Till october I will also have to build a fire place, plenty of work all coming up.

Here some first impressions:

Front view off the road (path), now already opened to access, you can see my car in the rear, a privilege: Parking in a kind of garage in the shadow...

The new house form the other side, all the terrain looks like this, again plenty of work after october when we can start fires again

The stables behind the garage, now all cleaned, organized and with my terrace chairs and table already moved in: Shadow all day because they are situated under massive trees (had to literally cut my way in to them with the chain saw)

And, finally, the pond with a small bamboo forest, already cleaned out so far that I can access the pond and the future pumping station by the fountain

Looking forward to this adventure, while I have no internet close at least I will be able to recuperate my economy.

Rattler
« Last Edit: 22 July 2011, 06:45:34 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: 22 July 2011, 12:39:42 »
ReplyReply

Very nice Matt Smiley

That will be worth another visit ( of course when you are done ) Wanda would sure love the place because she can get a tan.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 24 July 2011, 09:31:14 »
ReplyReply

good news Matt, I was woried but it seems that 'good luck' has also found you on its trail....  smallclap
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: 12 November 2012, 21:28:31 »
ReplyReply

... - snip -
... Looking forward to this adventure, while I have no internet close at least I will be able to recuperate my economy.

Rattler

Well, a year and three month have gone by, and things have changed/improved:

We are now three living on the farm, got a lot of animals, everything is more or less accessible and we have a marketing plan set up on how to make money from this (on a hobby aspect, still). Ieven got my first warm shower w/o sun about two weeks ago as I now have brought water uzp to the house and got a boiler. Smiley 14 month of showering cold and outside have finished, a life of true luxury begins (now I only need to get the loo going, basic setup also finished).

Will post some pictures today or tomorrow, well worthwile the whole adventure.

Rattler

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: 13 November 2012, 08:58:36 »
ReplyReply

Great, so I can do my holidays on the farm?
Wanda needs a week out  in a sunny place, all she likes to do is read and lay in the sun so she will not be bothering you Smiley

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: 13 November 2012, 12:39:09 »
ReplyReply

Great, so I can do my holidays on the farm?
Wanda needs a week out  in a sunny place, all she likes to do is read and lay in the sun so she will not be bothering you Smiley

You are most welcome, just don´t rush it:

I have forwarded your request to the lady owner, who will soon - in collaboration with her mother, her brothers, her sons and her husband - establish a comittee to discuss it profoundly taking into account all the aspects that might affect us, you, the farm´s economy, society overall and the islands environment and correlate it with the quest for independence of Catalonia.

There might be a slight delay involved in the process when establishing who has to be on the comittee (taking into account hereditary compromises, rank priveleges, econoomic weight etc.), but I am sure the farm gods will find a way to solve this within a mere three month (if the Commitee On Reducing Bureaucracy does not choose to interfere).

The Committee on Origin Of The Money has already decided last year that any money that is not German money is welcome here, so I don´t expect troubles from that side (just to confirm: Your money is of Dutch origin, no?)

I am quite positive to get first feedback on the issue and your request before summer, so it might be a go. Smiley

Rattler
« Last Edit: 13 November 2012, 12:58:25 by Rattler » Logged

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: 13 November 2012, 14:54:41 »
ReplyReply

LOL,

Most is Dutch, but the money I owned for Wandas holiday comes from the recent exercise in Germany Smiley
Wanda grew up there to, does that count?
Anyway it will not be before the holiday season when we will be able to come over.
Iberia doesnt fly on Amsterdam anymore, flights will be cancelled due to economic situation and there is no straight flight to Mallorca untill june.

When we come over it will probably late summer or early spring.
But I look forward to it, Kimberley and Glenn will probably love to feed the animals ( what animals btw)
Would be nice to meet you again!

(I will bring the laptop as well so we can have a decent game of Tacops)

Pages:  1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166460 | Sitemap