8 December 2019, 11:07:15 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: What is the latest news from your country?  (Read 35895 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 24 November 2009, 01:22:54 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,  Ass of Europe?  I thought you liked Spain.

One does not contradict the other.

Here, everything comes later than in the rest of Europe (at least, on this Island, but my take is that it tis general):

We were the last to fall into crisis, we are the last that will come out (according to EU and IWF); Everybody now In Germany got 12 MB cable minimum, we got 3-6 max depening on region, a new law just has been proposed that wil guarantee 1 MB by 2015 (!) for every citizen..., just as examples.

So, now we are the last to gt vaccine...

OTOH, that´s why I am here, because also the downsides of modern life are the last to appear here... Smiley

So, yes, I am here because I *love* Spain and this attitude: Slower, from my POV = better.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 24 November 2009, 13:04:48 »
ReplyReply

I've decided to let him have the shot on the 8th Dec.  Sorted.

sky2979
Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 4 December 2009, 22:50:08 »
ReplyReply

Our current president sucks.........lol

"A good teacher is like a candle...It will consume itself to light the path for others"
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 4 December 2009, 23:32:33 »
ReplyReply

Here our views definitely differ...  congrats  I wonder what you would do if you ever played one of the international MBXes (I found myself doing real strange things out of obligation and getting pulled along, and this as a guy with fairly well solidly based moral and ethic values...).

Also here, slower, from my POV = better: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/the-lounge-get-a-beer-go-off-topic/the-omnipresent-currently-playing-%28music%29-thread/msg10208/#msg10208

JFTR, and as everybody I know does not seem to believe me, you won´t ever get to know a slower person than me, though...  hihi

Rattler
« Last Edit: 4 December 2009, 23:39:04 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
sky2979
Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 5 December 2009, 06:59:48 »
ReplyReply

Here our views definitely differ...  congrats  I
Rattler

LOL,,,,Cielo that is because you dont live here in the USA....this current president is really jacking things up in our country and..you'll see he will too around the globe.......hes a chavez supporter....sigh...besos...

"A good teacher is like a candle...It will consume itself to light the path for others"
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 5 December 2009, 12:24:50 »
ReplyReply

I live in the US and disagree with you as well. After 8 years of that guy from Texas & his buddy from Wyoming running the show, starting 2 wars and not budgeting for either of them, the current Pres inherited an economy that was near ruin. Had you complained about the last regime mayhaps we wouldnt be where we are now, but that is hindsight, we must deal with what we have on our plate now. He's been in office for 8 months and all I hear from the right is negative, how about we work together as Americans and solve our problems. The Republicans lost the last election as the American people thought this guy would do a better job. How about we give him our support so that he might be successful for all Americans. Chavez is a tin pot dictator who will get his in the end no matter who befriends him, besides how do you know that the Pres isnt using his intellect to disarm Chavez? I say wait and see, running around the world like cowboys sure hasnt worked, time to try a different style. Remember, elections have consequences.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Mad Russian

« Reply #26 on: 5 December 2009, 15:44:00 »
ReplyReply

I too don't like the landscape.

Unlike your last post though FACman I'm not all about the "Lay The Blame on Bush."

The Republicans can play that game too. Clinton was offered Bin Laden and sent a couple cruise missile calling cards after they declared war on us.

Talk about having things laid on  your doorstep, I don't remember Bush asking for 9/11. What kind of President would he have been without that? Hard to say.

Neither political power should have it all their own way. The last time the Republicans were totally in charge they screwed it up. Now that the Democrats are in complete control they are screwing it up. We need a balance.

The "I Got Handed A Mess" message is getting old. Stop running Denmark to get votes for Chicago and the Olympics and work on unemployment HERE. For the entire US. You know California is part of the US too. Not just Chicago and Illinois.

The Presidency is very close to a year old now. Not just nine months. Yes, the economy isn't in good shape, yes there is a war, and there would have been no matter which Texan was President, since they ATTACKED US.

Your new President is finding out that he's like ALL POLITICIANS...if his lips are moving he's lying. He promised the moon as always and can't even deliver cheese. That's because the real political power in our country isn't with the President but with Congress. It's why Kennedy's death was such a big deal.

So, is the country in a mess? Yes it is. Is the current administration doing much to  fix it? Not if you ask the US population. Obama's popularity ratings are falling week by week. Time for the talking to be over and the doing to start.

Obama talked a good fight. Now lets see him actually swing at something and hit it.

The stimulus package....where are the jobs that were created? They can't show a single one. They did stop some foreclosures, and that did help. They gave tons of money to businesses that then either bought up others that didn't get the money or gave it out as bonuses.....

No, Obama has a D+ right now and getting worse by the day.
He needs to stop talking and actually do something.

Good Hunting.

MR

Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 5 December 2009, 16:41:06 »
ReplyReply

We had some bad news last Sunday when a gunman walked into a coffee shop in Lakewood WA, just south of Tacoma (which is just south of Seattle where I live), and killed four police officiers.  They were in uniform including bulltet-proof vests; one or two survived long enough to struggle with the killer and may have wounded him before he executed them. There was a huge man-hunt, national implications since he was paroled from an Arkansas prison (10 years ago) and also let out of a Washington State prison more recently.  He was killed by police a couple of days ago.  Accomplices have been arrested as well. 

I did a quick google search and didn't really find any one article which told the whole story.  google 'Lakewood police shooting' for thousands of hits.

It's very sad--the biggest police loss in the nation in quite some time--and the officiers leave behind 9 children in all.  Will try to post some brighter news next time.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 5 December 2009, 18:28:28 »
ReplyReply

We had some bad news last Sunday when a gunman walked into a coffee shop in Lakewood WA, just south of Tacoma (which is just south of Seattle where I live), and killed four police officiers.  They were in uniform including bulltet-proof vests; one or two survived long enough to struggle with the killer and may have wounded him before he executed them. There was a huge man-hunt, national implications since he was paroled from an Arkansas prison (10 years ago) and also let out of a Washington State prison more recently.  He was killed by police a couple of days ago.  Accomplices have been arrested as well. 

I did a quick google search and didn't really find any one article which told the whole story.  google 'Lakewood police shooting' for thousands of hits.

It's very sad--the biggest police loss in the nation in quite some time--and the officiers leave behind 9 children in all.  Will try to post some brighter news next time.

luckily this news reached Europe and I was shocked....this wasn't a firefight...it was a deliberate attack on law officers...I wonder why....just random or some kind of revenge on a specific person?
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 5 December 2009, 22:47:40 »
ReplyReply

yes there is a war, and there would have been no matter which Texan was President, since they ATTACKED US.

In this forum I am surprised I have to remind you that the last Bozo running the show started a second front, that was totally unnecessary. That alone put our military's a__ in a sling, not to mention the debt he incurred while doing it. And I dont think 9 months is sufficient time to fix the mess the Pres inherited. Could he be doing more, undoubtedly, but lets give a little credit where its due, we were on the verge of a depression bigger than the 'Great' one of the 30s, and we seem to have dodged that bullet. I highlight that I said its time to work together as Americans, so in that we are in agreement, now lets get the clowns in Washington onboard.

Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 6 December 2009, 01:51:29 »
ReplyReply

luckily this news reached Europe and I was shocked....this wasn't a firefight...it was a deliberate attack on law officers...I wonder why....just random or some kind of revenge on a specific person?

I have heard many 'insane' things this guy did; he's also said to have been 'mad about being in prison' (this guy was a robber, rapist, and now murderer; he deserved prison)  I also note that he was sane enough to evade a man-hunt like no other for several days. 
I learned about this on Facebook from a friend who goes to that coffee shop.  No one else was physically hurt; the officiers were deliberately targeted and a get-away car was waiting (driver now arrested.)

Last month a Seattle officier was also executed while parked in a car.  The officer he was training was wounded in the head.  This assassin was also killed a few days later by the police after he refused to give up.  It's a bad time for local law enforcement but they know they have the community's support.
This is different I think than the Fort Hood shooting.
Mad Russian

« Reply #31 on: 6 December 2009, 04:01:35 »
ReplyReply

yes there is a war, and there would have been no matter which Texan was President, since they ATTACKED US.

In this forum I am surprised I have to remind you that the last Bozo running the show started a second front, that was totally unnecessary.

The jury's not in on that one yet. You won't know for more than 20 years what the REAL story was. What they knew or didn't know about Saddam Hussein and his games.

That alone put our military's a__ in a sling, not to mention the debt he incurred while doing it.

No government has ever saved up alot of money go to war and certainly not the US. We only go to war when we are attacked. As in this case. Or we go and help other countries. We don't set out a time table to go to war and make sure we've paid for it first. When do you think that's ever happened?

And I dont think 9 months is sufficient time to fix the mess the Pres inherited.

I didn't say that you did. And again it's not 9 months it's 11 1/2.

Could he be doing more, undoubtedly, but lets give a little credit where its due, we were on the verge of a depression bigger than the 'Great' one of the 30s, and we seem to have dodged that bullet. I highlight that I said its time to work together as Americans, so in that we are in agreement, now lets get the clowns in Washington onboard.

I thought this was the weakest choice for President that I've seen in my lifetime. The choice between a man with 143 days experience and one who thought the economy "wasn't doing that bad". Just about anyone besides the two of them would have been a better choice.

You are one of the few that is standing behind him at the moment. His popularity is going straight downhill.

If you remember right the speech that Bush gave when he declared that we were going after the terrorists stated it may well take FORTY YEARS!! It's been nowhere near 40 years and he may have been closer to Mr. I'll have them home by Christmas. By his own admission, it's much harder to BE PRESIDENT than it is to RUN FOR PRESIDENT....do you think?Huh??

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 6 December 2009, 15:32:14 »
ReplyReply

The jury's not in on that one yet.

I take it that you don't believe the American people were lied to before we got involved then.

We only go to war when we are attacked.

When did Irak attack us? Your argument that no country saves up for war is a strawman argument, as Bush never budgeted for the wars he got us into, it was all paid for by supplemental requests. Had he raised taxes to pay for it, we might not be in the financial mess we have today. Surely the deficit would not be what it is today.

The Presidency is very close to a year old now.

Time for the talking to be over and the doing to start.

I didn't say that you did. And again it's not 9 months it's 11 1/2.

From the above quotes I get the impression that he has done nothing in '11 1/2' months, and like the others in America who dont think highly of his efforts, they expect him to work miracles. Well unlike some of his critics, I never thought him a messiah, just a man willing to do a thankless job when the country was in dire straights.

You are one of the few that is standing behind him at the moment. His popularity is going straight downhill.

I didnt vote for him because he was popular, and I surely will not abandon him, as many Americans are, simply because the herd is moving in that direction. I have long held the opinion that far too many Americans dont vote in our own best interests. There is nothing currently to show me that my opinion should change. As for his stimulus not jump starting enough jobs, I will point out that many economists including a Nobel Laureate, said that it was too small to begin with. Turns out they were right and all the naysayers in Congress and across the land were wrong. Now we have to go for a second stimulus, and once again there are the naysayers bleeting out there nays even in the face of the facts.

I thought this was the weakest choice for President that I've seen in my lifetime.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion here, I disagree.

By his own admission, it's much harder to BE PRESIDENT than it is to RUN FOR PRESIDENT....do you think?

No argument here.

At your service,

Jody

ps...for those not here in America, the discussion MR & I are having is also a reflection of the news here.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 6 December 2009, 19:49:11 »
ReplyReply

ps...for those not here in America, the discussion MR & I are having is also a reflection of the news here.

Indeed Smiley

From the European POV he has already gained his nobel prize, looks by good and interestingly twisted diplomacy he has saved us from another stupid war by simply making traditional mechanisms (with Russia and China) work towards Iran, exactly what the world needed after the last 8 yrs of non-diplomacy and black/white painting of complex situations...

More tormorrow should I manage to get the forum going again...

Rattler
« Last Edit: 6 December 2009, 19:54:15 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 7 December 2009, 20:32:23 »
ReplyReply

as Europeans we never understood how people agreed that he was the elected president after the debacle with the votes... I read and watched docus and I never got it that US citizens were so easy-going with the result and the things that happened...

they say to other countries that when a president does NOT have the majority of votes their should be a re-election....so why not in the US itself?

are we Europeans all stupid when we thought that BUSH was plain dumb when we saw him speeching, walking, debating, asking questions?
(remember on 9/11 how he responded or Katrina and New Orleans...what happened there?)
that every time we heard about a governmental decision the smell of oil was around?
that they never showed us WMD's from Irak? maybe they'll show us later? really? would they wait to convince us?
why do we see so many bad reports from the US concerning crime and prisons? reports on healthcare and the lack of minimal governmental aid to the civilians? are all these reports from bad journalists?
oh, by the way, mr. Bush, God isn't only there for the US, he's up there for EVERYBODY!

I was shocked when I heared that the coufins of fallen soldiers were NOT to be shown on TV! that it would have a negative influence on the population!?! sure, but it's the truth that soldiers are getting killed....
big parades and lots of show when the government agrees but otherwise they forbid the 'homecoming' on TV?Huh? THE moment that the soldier gets back to his country?
Yes, I do believe that the Taliban and Al-Qaeda are the enemies or EVERYBODY (and not only of the free West as often said) but was this war started how it should have been started? were the lessons from the past taken into the debate? did they learn from the Russian Afghan war?

Why haven't there been more anti-Bush demonstrations?
When you see his/his government influence on the economy, social service and more I was/am surprised and always wondered why a kind of 2nd 'Vietnam'-era returned...
Is it of battle-fatigue, are people so used to the fact that American soldiers are sent out to be killed they don't react in public anymore....

Sometimes I wonder if you guys have enough 'open and fair' independent and critical news to read and watch?
Isn't the fact that all newsmedia are put into big concerns (backed with oilmoney) a danger to freedom of speech, read....Criticize on Bush?

When I see the criticism on Obama I get 2 feelings:
1. huuray, it's democracy
2. where were you when Bush was f*** up the world?

Why do think that a new president should stop and reverse the bad that has been done in 8 years (and more) in 11 months?
Is he a magician?
sky2979
Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 7 December 2009, 21:41:38 »
ReplyReply

No, Obama is not a magician..and I do not expect for him to magicaly change the probs. in our country...he is human alright....BUT hes also a terrorist and terrorist supporter..I will never support him...He is our president and I have no choice in acknowledging it, ( I would be a traitor to our country if I didn't).....At last....I support our country and not the president....

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 7 December 2009, 22:58:33 »
ReplyReply

Sorry, but with all due respect and w/o intending to be offensive, all that comes up when I read this is "Ouch!". I guess you Americans have amplified the "Terrorist" definition way beyond what we Europeans coould understand as sensible.

Rattler
...BUT hes also a terrorist and terrorist supporter..I will never support him...He is our president and I have no choice in acknowledging it, ( I would be a traitor to our country if I didn't).....At last....I support our country and not the president....

« Last Edit: 7 December 2009, 23:44:18 by Rattler » Logged

Mad Russian

« Reply #37 on: 8 December 2009, 00:28:38 »
ReplyReply

Koen,

Here in the US the news media is left wing. They support the Democrats. Not the Republicans. There is no ban on any news media events that they don't agree to. Here the press is free to print what it likes. Even when the stories are lies, like the one Dan Rather did on Bush that cost him his job.

So, your perception of our news media "smelling of oil" is completely false. Where do you think you got the perception that everything the Bush administration did was linked to oil in the first place? By the media.

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 8 December 2009, 02:59:20 »
ReplyReply

Here in the US the news media is left wing.

I am of a different opinion here, I think the American media is a tool of any administration in power. Yes, there are occasional faux pas by the likes of Dan Rather. I only need to point out the press's silence during the lead up to the war in Irak to prove that point. They failed to vet any of the lies the administration told to get us into that war. Would a left wing media have stood by silently in support of the Republicans if they were in the pocket of the Democrats? I think not.

Where do you think you got the perception that everything the Bush administration did was linked to oil in the first place? By the media.

Are you saying that the close ties that the Bush family has with the Saudi Royal Family (who control the world's #1 oil producing country) is a fact made up by the media? And the fact that Bush started a war with the world's #2 oil producing country in spite of the fact he had already committed us to fight in Afghanistan was a mere coincidence? Right it was all a media conspiracy.

Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 8 December 2009, 16:27:16 »
ReplyReply

No, Obama is not a magician..and I do not expect for him to magicaly change the probs. in our country...he is human alright....BUT hes also a terrorist and terrorist supporter..I will never support him...He is our president and I have no choice in acknowledging it, ( I would be a traitor to our country if I didn't).....At last....I support our country and not the president....

A terrorist?  That's kind of loony.  Where do you get that from?  By just tossing language like that around, you cheapen the meaning of words.

He may be naive, ultra liberal, inexperienced, clueless about protocol, too ready to bow to all and sundry emperors, somewhat pompous and arrogant, indecisive, too eager to please everyone, too ready to blame his predecessor for every evil in the world, but he's not a terrorist.

I don't support many of his policies.  I think his policies will increase the deficit to astronomical levels and bankrupt the country.  I don't want to see the USA turn into a north American version of the European Union, too enfeebled or paralyzed by socialist spending and political correctness to be able to adequately fund it's own defense.

Obama is not the second coming of Christ and Bush is not the devil incarnate, even though many love to paint it that way.

I think he's trying to be the best President he knows how to be, by his lights.

Whatever he is, he's not a terrorist.
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 27218534 | Sitemap