18 April 2024, 19:49:47 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: We've Lost Our Heroes  (Read 4479 times)
Mad Russian

« on: 10 February 2009, 15:28:07 »
ReplyReply

When I bought PanzerBlitz and Afrika Korps way back in 70-71 I had a single opponent.

When I was in the Army I introduced 3 or 4 guys to wargames and we played regularly.

When I got out of the service there was a wargame club here. From that club we set up a group of guys that met regularly each week. I was lucky enough to have a room that could be dedicated to wargames and that alone.

But when I was growing up there were lots of stories told around the supper table or at social gatherings. Almost all the men had served in WWII in one capacity or another. Then there were literally thousands of books covering WWII and to a lesser degree other conflicts.

It was easy to find stories of the heroes and their accomplishments.

To me, at least, that seems gone today.

Name one singe American hero from the Iraq/Afghanistan war. Sure I see them get the medals at the White House but then they disappear. It's not like it was during WWII.

How many have earned the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Medal of Honor?

In the past 10 years I've introduced only two people to military wargames. One was a friend in his 50's. The other was my 8 year old grandson.

Again, not like in the past.

Part of this is I myself, have no desire to game a conflict that is currently active. Which I think is exactly what CMSF tried to do as one of it's objectives. One to sell to the military as a Middle East sim, the other to sell to the public as a thinly disguised Iraq game.

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad Russian

« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2009, 15:31:10 »
ReplyReply

I think technology is partially to blame for this. The magnitude of the conflicts is another.

Today people have so much technology they aren't that interested in what a few people do in a war.

Since we aren't losing men and women by the thousands it doesn't impact the lives of the nation as much so it's just not as news worthy. If it's not as news worthy, it gets little or no mention, that leads to ignorance.

Good Hunting.

MR
bongotastic
Sergeant

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2009, 15:58:54 »
ReplyReply

I'm interested in current conflict as I find gaming a way to better understand/interpret the newslines. The MBX that I run made me look into things that I would have never suspected existed. Similarly, another game that I playtest gave me a whole new perspective on the Afghanistan's situation. Namely that the most counterproductive thing that the Taliban/Al-Quaeda can do right now it to fight...

You are lucky that you got your 8 yo grand-son interested. I've got no luck with my 13 yo son, although my daughter seem interested but isn't ready to handle the complexity of wargames. And being a girl, once she find other males to be cooler than her dad, that'll be over.

I'm not sure that I agree with your conclusion that there is no heroes from Iraq. I see a lot of good people coming back from multiple tours, not necessarily with medals. Small wars journal is a good place to find them. Many of them are interested in simulation and wargaming. However, these guys are professional soldiers and there is a lot less of them than after WWII.

Wargaming is an extension of studying history, really. It takes time and a bit of passion to go there. Today's war are more dispassionate head scratcher than glorious cavalry charges.

Hobbying on less than an hour per day.
Iraq, 2008 : www.opcon.org/SadrCity/
Italy, 1361 : www.opcon.org/drupal/
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2009, 16:09:27 »
ReplyReply

I suspect there is much truth in your statement MR. I have done my part to change that, right here in this forum and in my daily life. For any who know me, eventually they will learn of a real hero, one who gave everything he had, including his life, for a fellow man. See my post here to learn of an American hero:  War & Conflict: past, present and future / Vietnam War / In Memorium.

We called him 'Doc' as all Marines do with their Corpsman. It took me 30+ years to find his family, and tell them the heroic story of their kinsman. I can go to my resting place on the otherside in peace, knowing his family now knows the truth about his passing.

ays,

Jody

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Mad Russian

« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2009, 16:45:21 »
ReplyReply

I'm not sure that I agree with your conclusion that there is no heroes from Iraq. I see a lot of good people coming back from multiple tours, not necessarily with medals. Small wars journal is a good place to find them. Many of them are interested in simulation and wargaming. However, these guys are professional soldiers and there is a lot less of them than after WWII.

I'm not saying there are no heroes. I'm saying we don't hear or know about them in the same kind of way that happened in WWII and afterwards.

When O'Hare was given the Medal of Honor he was toured around the country. Today I couldn't tell you if we even have a Medal of Honor winner from the current conflict.

I did see where there was a VC awarded to an Australian soldier the other day.

We just don't promote the heroes of wars since WWII it seems.

Good Hunting.

MR
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2009, 18:23:22 »
ReplyReply

On may 29th one of our Sf guys will receive the Dutch highest award for bravery, the military Willems orde 4t class, this was made public today by our prime-minster who is on visit in Afghanistan.
The captain has achieved this medal for fighting in Afghanistan.
He will be the first Dutch soldier in 50 years to earn this medal.
He led the task force which arrived at the country in 2006 to prepare the build up of task force Uruzgan.
In several occasions he fought brave while risking his own live for instance to save his men out of an ambush, or to enabe coalition soldiers to rescue wounded men by giving covering fire.
His own unit suffered no(deadly) casualties whilst fighting some very heavy battles.
He was nominated by his own men and his superior officers.

According to the minister of defense Kroon is an extraordinary soldier, he receives the medal for honour,loyalty and being an example for his men and the army itself.
Heroes like this captain should be honoured.

Opnieuw Militaire Willems-Orde toegekend
TARIN KOWT - Pelotonscommandant kapitein Marco Kroon bij het Korps Commandotroepen (KCT) wordt op 29 mei benoemd tot Ridder der Militaire Willems-Orde 4e Klasse. Koningin Beatrix benoemt Kroon voor moed, beleid en trouw. Dat heeft premier Jan Peter Balkenende bekend gemaakt aan de troepen in Tarin Kowt.
De 38-jarige inwoner van 's Hertogenbosch Marco Kroon leidde tijdens de missie een peloton commando's van maart tot augustus 2006, in de periode dat de Task Force Uruzgan werd opgebouwd. Zijn ondergeschikten en leidinggevenden hebben hem voorgedragen voor een dapperheidsonderscheiding voor zijn optreden in Afghanistan.
Tijdens zijn zes maanden uitzending wist hij met zijn peloton verschillende zware en soms lange gevechten in zijn voordeel en zonder personele verliezen te beslechten. Daarbij ging hij persoonlijke risico's niet uit de weg, bijvoorbeeld om een coalitiepartner in de gelegenheid te stellen een gewonde militair af te voeren. Een andere keer leidde hij zijn eenheid al vechtend uit een hinderlaag, terwijl de boordschutter van zijn eigen voertuig gewond was geraakt.
Held
De daden die zijn collega's in de voordracht omschreven, waren voor minister Eimert van Middelkoop (Defensie) reden het Kapittel der Militaire Willems-Orde om een advies te vragen. Op basis daarvan heeft de minister Kroon bij de koningin voorgedragen voor de Willems-Orde.
Kroon krijgt de onderscheiding voor meerdere, bijzondere acties en zijn totale optreden als leider, militair en mens. ,,We moeten trots zijn op helden zoals deze kapitein'', zei premier Jan Peter Balkenende. Ook Van Middelkoop noemt Kroon een ,,held'' en prijst zijn moed en loyaliteit.

(ANP) Source Algemeen Dagblad

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
bongotastic
Sergeant

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2009, 19:31:35 »
ReplyReply

[
We just don't promote the heroes of wars since WWII it seems.

I see, I misunderstood your comment.

Hobbying on less than an hour per day.
Iraq, 2008 : www.opcon.org/SadrCity/
Italy, 1361 : www.opcon.org/drupal/
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2009, 23:31:36 »
ReplyReply

How about W & T starts a 'Hall of Heroes' sub-forum, where the community can post and read about post WW2 heroes.

J

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2009, 22:12:48 »
ReplyReply

How about W & T starts a 'Hall of Heroes' sub-forum, where the community can post and read about post WW2 heroes.

J

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/index.php?board=15.0
Mad Russian

« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2009, 02:22:53 »
ReplyReply

J

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/index.php?board=15.0

post WW2 heroes....koen...not WWII heroes. As you point out we have threads for that already.

Good Hunting.

MR
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2009, 04:34:02 »
ReplyReply

J

Methinks, they have been posted plenty, get the Korean/Gulf1/Iraq/Afghanistan (just to name a few current conflicts) heroes a forum...

Rattler

EDIT: OUCH, already realized by others... REMINDER to self: First finish reading thread, then post...  Verlegen

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44444355 | Sitemap