28 March 2024, 09:44:46 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Omnipresent, currently playing (music) thread...  (Read 473590 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1040 on: 1 March 2012, 22:41:37 »
ReplyReply

Meant to post some stuff since some time now, but they keep dying like flies around me (am beginning to feel really not too well myself), dont feel able to catch up here in the thread: We have lost so many in the last month, Whitney Huston probably the most prominent.

But one that has been ignored with the hype of all the more famous, a true legend of this music they dont do anymore since the mold was broken:

A singer I always had a true affection for, her music, her evolution over time, her voice, language and lyrics, her R&B and later in her life her sophisitcated way of integrating all this with the youth, be it with rap, jazz or house (...so many songs of her today are associated with younger singers, and most ppl nowadays probably know only their version... Bedroefd ).

A tribute to Etta James:

I dont want you to be no slave;
I dont want you to work all day;
But I want you to be true,
And I just wanna make love to you....

Etta James I just wanna make love to you

This is a man's world, this is a man's world
But it wouldn't, it wouldn't be nothing
Nothing without a woman, or a girl...

Etta James - It's a Man's Man's World

Here a 1987 version (with BB King, Dr. John, SRV and Paul Butterfield) of her 1962 hit "Something got a hold on me", try and compare it to todays versions of e.g. Avicii http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f24isk1MVdA or Flo Rida http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfq5GQpzGE... lightyears apart!

Etta James - Something's Got A Hold On Me

From 2011, the title is what my world has turned to with her passing: Misty Blue...

Etta James-Misty Blue 2011

Rattler
« Last Edit: 1 March 2012, 23:00:54 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: 2 March 2012, 18:32:46 »
ReplyReply

correct, she deserves some attention

I do need to put an album of her on my shopping list at Amazon, any recommendations?
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1042 on: 2 March 2012, 20:35:14 »
ReplyReply

I have yet to hear a bad song of hers... So, it probably all comes out to what time you want the songs from (45yrs is a long time and many styles) and to your personal taste.

Personally, my favorite album of hers is the one Live with Joe Walsh and Albert Collins: "Jump the blues away", I own it and I never get tired listening to it... Blues, R&B, Jam, Hillybilly, Boogie, Stomp, Walk, you name it, all on it. As such probably a great overview album, but not including her "Greatest Hits" (she is more interpreting the classic AC and JW songs) or the soft jazzy stuff on "Dreamer" (I would buy all three, then...: Greatest Hits, Dreamer and Jump the Blues Away Smiley ).

As nothing of this is on the net (as I said, she was a bit ignored on youtube), here some of the stuff I have on my machine from the above album, all in HQ m4a´s (click to play, probably right click to dl):

Baby, what do you want me to do (youll know it from the Blues Brothers), quote: "Blues does not have to make much sense..."

Mama cooked a chicken,
thought it was a duck.
Put it on the table,
with its legs cocked up,
I love you baby!

http://todos-contra-matias.net/temp/08%20Baby,%20What%20You%20Want%20Me%20To%20Do_.m4a

A great bluesey, bluesey Blues piece: "If trouble was money", her voice fits so well with ACs guitar...:

http://todos-contra-matias.net/temp/07%20If%20Trouble%20Was%20Money.m4a

A R&B classic again, pushy, jammy and hillybilly at the same time: "Rock me Baby":

http://todos-contra-matias.net/temp/06%20Rock%20Me%20Baby.m4a

And finally, a traditional groovy jam, SRV style but very much AC: "Sweet Little Angel":

http://todos-contra-matias.net/temp/05%20Sweet%20Little%20Angel.m4a

Enjoy,

Rattler
« Last Edit: 2 March 2012, 20:43:17 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: 3 March 2012, 06:54:15 »
ReplyReply

I like all 3 of them, will look for the live album....  1thx
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1044 on: 19 March 2012, 01:21:47 »
ReplyReply

Certainly not a good year these last 12 month to be a friend of mine, they keep dropping out at frightening speed.

This time life took away Mateo, the Italian I mentioned here, and I find I am still in tears 4 days later listening to the songs below and dream of him though he certainly was not one of my best friends. Has me wondering... What little consolation I can find lies in the fact that he died peacefully in his sleep, in the city he loved so much, and on a boat (he was a sailor from the bottom of his heart), but it really was too early for him to leave...

43 years old, he was special. I did not like him when I first saw him, but over the last three years not only got well aquainted but came to cherish him for the wonderful person he was. More alcoholic than myself (he drank a bottle of brandy every day), but with a warm and kind soul like few. Pacific (never saw him fighting with nobody, whatever his state or the issue), generous, living like nobody was watching, he probably did not love himself sufficiently to survive, but then, this does not matter: I will remember him as the gentleman (he was one of the true gentlemen left, even if some would say he was a hippie) who ran the bar "Quitapenas" ("Sorrow-Deleter") here in Sant Elm, deeply devoted to music in general and propagating the idea of a better world possible.

While we had our quarrels (he did not like it when you "meddled" with his affairs like e.g. suggesting he cut down a little bit on the booze) we also had our highlights: I remember so many nights when he spoke about his beloved "Genova" (Italy), his city. He would put on Paolo Conte (always has been one of my favorite Italian composers/singers/painters/poets/lawyers, one of the rare "multi-talents" left in the way Goethe, DaVinci et. al. were) and reason and focus for our first serious communications as it happened to be his favorite singer also, and - of course, flagpole of Genova - with the album that contained the songs "Wonderful" and "Genova per Noi" ("Genova for us"), sometimes at max volume in the early morning hours til the police came, sing with it, explain the lyrics to us and make us welcome in his world, those songs will forever recall his image for me.

Great friend, great sailor, great inspiration he was, I will miss him a lot, more than those dry lines can tell: Being older than him I had taken his presence for granted forever... He loved life, "la vida es bella" was his motto, reapeated over and over and in the face of whatever situation however harsh, The "vias" (railways) of the first song his way to look at it.

Another one he played ever so often and questioned us whether we were capable to understand the deep significance of the lyrics was "Max": Probably Mateos favorite just right with "Genova per Noi" (and many claim it is one of the most beautiful tunes written in the last 30 years), today it suddenly makes much more sense to me than it did listening to it then, in those early summer mornings, subdued and agitated at the same time under our alcohol induced emotional magic hats, if I listen to it now this sad tune arrangement reveals an almost prophetic character in hindsight, just replace "Max" with "Mateo"...:

Max era Max / Max was Max
più tranquillo che mai, / a bit quieter than ever,
la sua lucidità… / his lucidity...

Smettila, Max, / Stop it, Max
la tua facilità / Your easiness
non semplifica, Max / Does not make things easier, Max

Max / Max
non si spiega, / Dont explain
fammi scendere, Max / Leave me out of it (literally: "Bring me down"), Max
vedo un segreto / I see a secret
avvicinarsi qui, Max. / Approaching to here, Max.

So, here´s to you, Mateo!

"Its wonderful..., its wonderful..., its wonderful... Good luck, my baby!"

R.I.P.

Rattler

Paolo Conte - Via, via (It's Wonderful)

Paolo Conte - Genova per noi

Paolo Conte - Max, Amsterdam 1988
« Last Edit: 20 March 2012, 23:53:29 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: 20 March 2012, 19:28:59 »
ReplyReply

sry to hear this...

almost time to dismantle the hi-fi here at home....

lately been enjoying Lenny Kravitz - Mama Said (good times) & Supertramp - Breakfast in America & The Fugees - The Score & The Nits - Urk while packing....

will be out of internet from this weekend on so I'll only have net at the job!
Niki
Private

Austria

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: 22 March 2012, 19:50:02 »
ReplyReply

Thank you! It is good to know that there are still persons which like to look at other peoples heart.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: 4 May 2012, 20:46:10 »
ReplyReply

RIP MCA

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/adam-yauch-of-the-beastie-boys-dies/

Adam Yauch, one of the founders of the seminal hip-hop group the Beastie Boys, has died of cancer at the age of 47, according to the Web site of the band’s publicist.

Mr. Yauch, who went by the moniker MCA, had been battling cancer since 2009, when a tumor was discovered in his salivary gland. He did not come to the Beastie Boys induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April and his treatments for the illness forced the group to delay the release of their last album “Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2.”

Emerging from the hard-core punk scene in New York in the late 1970s, the Beastie Boys were the first white group to successfully sing rap songs and have remained popular for more than a quarter century. Mr. Yauch co-founded the group with Mike Diamond (Mike D) and Adam Horovitz (Ad-Rock) as a punk band in 1981 and first began experimenting with hip-hop the following year, when they released a 12-inch vinyl rap spoof “Cookie Puss.” All three were teenagers from affluent New York families when they met.

But in 1986, they crossed into the rap mainstream with “Licensed to Ill,” which was the first hip-hop album to hit No. 1 on the albums chart and featured hits like “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)” and “Brass Monkey.” It was just the first of a string of hit records, like 1989’s “Paul’s Boutique,” 1992’s “Check Your Head” and 1994’s “Ill Communication.”

Mr. Yauch (pronounced YOWK) was also involved in the movement to free Tibet and organized concerts for the cause in the late 1990s, and he and his band mates started an indie record label in the 1990s called Grand Royal. His interests also extended beyond music, particularly film. Under the name Nathanial Hörnblowér, he directed many of the Beastie Boys’ music videos and their 2006 concert film, which was shot by fans, while under his own name, he released “Gunnin’ for That #1 Spot,” a documentary about high school basketball players. (In 2004, Mr. Yauch, under the pseudonym Nathanial Hornblower, wrote a letter to The Times in response to a story about his music video, “Ch-Check It Out.”) And he started an  independent film division of his company, Oscilloscope Laboratories, which has released critically acclaimed films like “Wendy and Lucy.”

When Ad-Rock and Mike D accepted the Beastie Boys’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame two weeks ago, they read a letter from Mr. Yauch thanking both his bandmates and the group’s fans. “I’d like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike,” he wrote. “They walked the globe with me. It’s also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours.”

Mr. Yauch is survived by his wife, Dechen Wangdu, and their daughter, Tenzin Losel Yauch.

Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1048 on: 16 May 2012, 22:10:49 »
ReplyReply

There must be something in the air that affects all the great musicians... Bedroefd  Beastie Boys were one of my favorites of this type of music, still have a few vinyls...

Today I - searching for something very different - stumbled over this one, brought incredible memories along and maybe fits after your post, Koen.

Rattler

Kansas - Polvo en el viento

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: 17 May 2012, 22:06:12 »
ReplyReply

This year does not want to give us a truce:

After I wrote this yesterday, the "virus" has taken another one away, LaDonna Adrian Gaines, better known for her battle name Donna Summer.

"Queen of Disco" was attached to her in the 70s, but I knew her first from the musicals "Hair" and Gershwins "Porgy and Bess" in Germany (she actually stayed a few years in Munich for these roles). She was known as >Donna Gaines "Wassermann" (the German for "Aquarius")< then (I was 12!) and rallied big time: This was the first and last time I have heard "Hair" and this song in German....!:

Donna Gaines: "Wassermann"

She married Helmuth Sommer there (2nd from right in the below pic from the "Hair" cast 1968, she on the left), hence her surname changed to "Summer" (English version of the German "Sommer"), she spoke fluent German.

From her disco stuff the one I personally like most is "Love to love you, baby", the sex obsessed Americans had scientists count and encountered 22 (!) orgasms in this song.... (!?). Indeed its a love-making inducing song... Smiley

Donna Summer Love To Love You Baby original long version (Disco 70s)

For the world I think she will be recalled by "Hot Stuff", "Chuck is in Love", and the classic "I will survive" that branded a genre. Here a medley with Kenny Rogers from her Grammy Award 1980, all those are touched:

Kenny Rogers & Donna Summer. (Grammy Awards 1980) - Reunited, Honesty, I Will Survive, etc...

Profoundly disturbed by now I hope we dont lose any more this year,

R.I.P.

Rattler
« Last Edit: 17 May 2012, 22:15:58 by Rattler » Logged

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1050 on: 19 May 2012, 05:09:39 »
ReplyReply

Must say, I never knew about her German beginnings.  Thanks for explaining it all, Rattler. 

I too am profoundly upset about her passing.  Hard for believe, as she was a woman filled with so much 'spark' and so much 'life.' 

Here is one I really like of hers - Last dance:

Donna Summer - Last Dance (Hit Man: David Foster & Friends) 720p HD

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: 22 May 2012, 21:02:28 »
ReplyReply

and sadly the list becomes even longer

Robin Gibb, member of the Bee Gees, dies after battle with cancer

BEE GEES -The Bee Gees Special- 1979 complete

Former Crowded House drummer Peter Jones has lost his battle with brain cancer

crowded house dont dream its over live

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: 19 July 2012, 00:26:52 »
ReplyReply

... and longer still:

Jon Lord, 71? What a nightmare, forgot we are aging all all along...

R.I.P. Jon Lord!

Deep Purple-Child in Time

Rattler

Yossarian
Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: 2 August 2012, 04:02:25 »
ReplyReply

I've got friends in low places.wmv

"hic" Greetins, "hic" From Murica. "hic".

Now a question,

If you drink , and don't drive what do you do?

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience"-January 17, 1961
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: 2 August 2012, 10:24:42 »
ReplyReply

Rediscovered the band Rush Smiley

Playing the wii band I found the 2112 song.
20 minutes of great guitar music.
Couldnt remember it at first but that after searching for them ( what a great help the internet is nowadays) it all came back.
So I bought the cd, special version.

Imagine the band, formed in my year of birth 1969, is still playing, they visit Holland next year and I sure will go to see them!

Rush - 2112 part 1

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: 16 September 2012, 12:48:25 »
ReplyReply

indeed Henk, the internet is not only negative for artists... we discover bands and songs.... from now and then...

and it's SO easy to buy music.... the last 2 years I boughts tens of cd's, collector items and limited editions, usually on amazon.co.uk

currently listening to one of the finest things the Netherlands ever gave us.... Anouk

Anouk - 07. In The Sand [PinkPop 1998]

Anouk - Michel (Live)

Anouk IS special... being a rockchick, a caring mother, an artist and more....

"Michel"

Hey Michel how's life are you ok
 I wonder if you ever think of me
 It's been 9 years since that kiss
 I can't help but reminisce
 Hey Michel do you remember

We walked the street to the beat
 Hand in hand you and me
 Smiling faces so in love
 Hoping that they all could see
 That we belonged together you and me against the world
 But we found out the hard way cause it wasn't meant to be

Now it's you and her I see

You were my first and worst love
 And so it only could go wrong
 But ain't that just the way you learn
 Hey Michel I just wanted to let you know
 That someone else has stolen my heart
 And now another girl has caught your eye
 That doesn't mean I don't think of you
 I am just hoping she'll treat you right

Do you remember
 How we walked the street to the beat
 Hand in hand you and me
 Smiling faces so in love
 Hoping they all could see
 That we belonged together you and me against the world
 But we found out the hard way cause it wasn't meant to be

Now it is you and her I see

It was just a silly dream

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: 2 October 2012, 22:41:04 »
ReplyReply

Wow, really nice song, nice voice!

Checking, I realized we dont have anything by Friedrich Gulda here, how can that be?

The best pianist I have had a chance to see and listen live to, both in the classic field as in his jazz adventures. Sure, a showman in his older years (I heard he once undressed and danced 40 minutes on stage stark naked until the majority of people had left the concert hall and only then sat down to play all Beethoven and Bach Sonatas in a row which took 8 hours till early morning...), he is the most innovative and intriguing pianist over his whole musical life, his passing a great loss for music...

Some examples:

"Light my fire", the doors classic. He (also a well renowned composer) composed his "Variations over Light my Fire", the part around 4:20+ gives me the shivers...

Friedrich Gulda-Light my Fire!

He probably was best known for his Beethoven interpretations, but personally his Mozart ones I like better: I guess he is the only man who could play his "own" Mozart versions (this one here e.g. at double speed, because he could, and because he found another line of sound in this interpretation) and get away with it, because he did it just perfectly:

Gulda plays Mozart sonata E flat major K282. 3mvmt

He was a lover of pure "sound", well expressed in this cooperation with people like Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea, Jan Hammer, or, here, Herbie Hancock:

Gulda & Herbie Hancock -Night and day

He could play everything, and he interpreted it all his way.

Enjoy, or not!

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1057 on: 6 October 2012, 21:13:40 »
ReplyReply

The CD saw the light 30 years ago just this week.

Do you remember the first CD you bought? Mine was - a bit later - a Simply Red CD and I was amazed by the briilliance and the sound dynamics produced by it. Dont recall the album name anymore (could look it up, I guess), but the song that had me captured was "Come to my aid", couldnot find it on youtube.

But, and thats the good news, with the time limit of utube now extended to 2 hours we have a lot of albums and concerts (and films) present since 3 month that you could not find anywhere before.

So, for the 80s fans, here a 2011 "good bye" concert of Simply Red (1:40 hours, has all those great songs in it, best part from my POV starts after some 30 minutes, a blast after one hour), great party it must have been.

Its only Pop, but I like it still:

Simply Red - Farewell: Live In Concert At Sydney Opera House [2011]

Enjoy!

Rattler

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: 14 October 2012, 20:58:58 »
ReplyReply

Yesterday evening I went to a concert from a Dutch band, very popular in my younger years Doe Maar.
Very influenced by Ska they made good songs with interesting some times rebellious lyrics.
One number was instrumental and I forgot it completely over the years untill they played it yesterday.
Winnetou.

Listen and find out yourself why its a great song!
doe maar - winnetou

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: 21 October 2012, 14:06:51 »
ReplyReply

maybe this is THE moment to get your collection?

Beatles vinyl
Pages:  1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44151738 | Sitemap